Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

Just now, KingKirk said:

Unless it's 6 or 7 job v Liverpool both games I don't see him being punted off the back of champions league fixtures mate. Domestically he should've been done after parkhead. 

Beat Dundee United then hearts we will limp on imo

If this board back Wilson they will hang him out to dry without thinking twice.

I think Gio will still go on to be a decent coach/manager at clubs who are underdogs even after he leaves us.

That’s what he was at Feyernoord and it paid off for him, because they are relative underdogs in comparison to Ajax and PSV and it unquestionably paid off for him in the Europa League run, where we were underdogs.

Yes, he’s been destroyed in the Champions League, where we are also underdogs, but it’s a whole different level to the Europa League and tactics will only get you so far when the gulf in quality of players, and the quality of coaches you are pitting your wits against too, is as vast as it is between us and the opposition we have been playing.

Also think it’s what fucks him away from home domestically too. Games at Ibrox almost take care of themselves, but when when we go away from home we are still expected to be the side who dominate and control games, but it’s counter intuitive and against his nature as a coach so it bites us in the arse time and time again.

5 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think Gio will still go on to be a decent coach/manager at clubs who are underdogs even after he leaves us.

That’s what he was at Feyernoord and it paid off for him, because they are relative underdogs in comparison to Ajax and PSV and it unquestionably paid off for him in the Europa League run, where we were underdogs.

Yes, he’s been destroyed in the Champions League, where we are also underdogs, but it’s a whole different level to the Europa League and tactics will only get you so far when the gulf in quality of players, and the quality of coaches you are pitting your wits against too, is as vast as it is between us and the opposition we have been playing.

Also think it’s what fucks him away from home domestically too. Games at Ibrox almost take care of themselves, but when when we go away from home we are still expected to be the side who dominate and control games, but it’s counter intuitive and against his nature as a coach so it bites us in the arse time and time again.

It doesn't seem to cause Savco these problems with a completely different coach with different approach. 

Gio needs binned. Pronto. It's not working. 

3 minutes ago, Bristoe1872 said:

It doesn't seem to cause Savco these problems with a completely different coach with different approach. 

Gio needs binned. Pronto. It's not working. 

I don’t even really know what your point is here tbh? 

It doesn’t cause celtic the same problems domestically because Fat Ange is a naturally attack minded coach. He treats the league with the contempt it deserves and their results reflect that. He doesn’t go a goal up and then shit himself and try to sit on it like Gio does. They push on and hammer teams. 

As far as the Champions League goes, they lack the quality for this level too, but Madrid aside (a game where they ran out of steam and the gulf in quality showed through) we’ve got a far harder group than than they do. Nobody in Europe would look at Leipzig and Shakatar and say that’s a harder group than one with Liverpool and Napoli in it. It gives them a punchers chance that we don’t have.

Reality is.. he’s shite! Beg to hear somebody tell me I’m wrong! His away record is a fucking joke! (Before anyone starts I’ve already said he probably got tonight right, but I could have got tonight right). 

Would take a defeat this weekend if it meant getting rid because if not we limp into the new year and will be further behind with no time to turn it around! 

Honestly I’d rather back GVB and get Wilson to fuck. 

I can see why he probably can’t turn it around though. 

GVB isn’t the biggest issue, it’ll be the same type of person after him if Wilson stays. A manager needs backed, not told what to sign

As has been discussed I think the whole situation with Ridvan shows there is something fundamentally wrong at the club. The fee we paid was 5/6 million and he’s stuck on the bench? For that fee he should be playing every week, I know Borna has improved but I’d rather play him in front of Ridvan and drop that imposter Kent. Then with Davies who cost 4 million (although if he has family issues then my thoughts are with him) we have wasted 10 million this summer, don’t get me started on the Souttar signing.

7 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

We need GvB to stay until after the executive board all go.

I agree mate, I think the board are toxic. It’s quite clear the players brought in weren’t the managers choice and GVB is proving this point by not playing them. 

8 minutes ago, MadSasa said:

As has been discussed I think the whole situation with Ridvan shows there is something fundamentally wrong at the club. The fee we paid was 5/6 million and he’s stuck on the bench? For that fee he should be playing every week, I know Borna has improved but I’d rather play him in front of Ridvan and drop that imposter Kent. Then with Davies who cost 4 million (although if he has family issues then my thoughts are with him) we have wasted 10 million this summer, don’t get me started on the Souttar signing.

I'd like to see us start Ridvan on Saturday with Davies alongside him at centre back

13 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Honestly I’d rather back GVB and get Wilson to fuck. 

I can see why he probably can’t turn it around though. 

GVB isn’t the biggest issue, it’ll be the same type of person after him if Wilson stays. A manager needs backed, not told what to sign

Then he's not a manager, he's a head coach. And one that allows us to think he's a manager as he sits in an office that says manager, and wears a managers badge whilst everyone refers to him as the manager.

If he's a coach then he needs to be clear with us that his job is to train and select players brought in for him. Then we can assess that objectively - imo he's doing shit at that too, but it's hugely undermined by awful recruitment strategy.

I know some say everything points to him being just a coach, or reading between the lines you can deduce he's only a coach, etc. But he needs asked directly his involvement / responsibility in the recruitment process and he needs to give a clear and unambiguous fucking answer.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

Would be incredibly harsh on King to be chucked in at Anfield.

Not just Anfield, I mean in general.

Last night he's on the bench, our best CM is in a back 3 weakening our midfield, yet King comes on as another young CH is red carded and plays well enough.

We'll never know but I wonder how we'd have fared with King as the right sided centre back and Lundstram in the middle instead of Jack.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Not just Anfield, I mean in general.

Last night he's on the bench, our best CM is in a back 3 weakening our midfield, yet King comes on as another young CH is red carded and plays well enough.

We'll never know but I wonder how we'd have fared with King as the right sided centre back and Lundstram in the middle instead of Jack.

Think Gio went safe last night with tried and tested players he could trust.

I’ll say one thing about Lundstram, he looks absolutely miles off it fitness wise.

he had gassed by 70th minute last night.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I’ll say one thing about Lundstram, he looks absolutely miles off it fitness wise.

He’s not the only one. The players definitely don’t have the level of sharpness that they had even last season.

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I think he did too. But the midfield was weakened by Lundstram not starting in CM. 

Agree re fitness, though he was chasing shadows for much of the game.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I think he did too. But the midfield was weakened by Lundstram not starting in CM. 

Agree re fitness, though he was chasing shadows for much of the game.

After 2 x 4-0 defeats Gio went with his tried and trusted players instead of King etc.

Can’t really blame him for that tbh.