Rangers 72 film (and website)

On 28/04/2022 at 13:25, ayrshireranger said:

The trailer for Rangers72, a new feature film reliving Rangers Football Club’s incredible European Cup Winners’ Cup campaign, has been launched.

Rangers72 chronicles the extraordinary twists and turns of the captivating 1971/72 season which saw Ibrox legend Willie Waddell guide the Scottish giants to European glory at Barcelona’s iconic Nou Camp. Half a century on – and in the club’s 150th anniversary year – the emotional, poignant film features in-depth interviews with many of the heroes who delivered arguably Rangers’ finest hour.

These include Rangers greats John Greig, Derek Johnstone, Dave Smith, Peter McCloy, Alex MacDonald, Willie Johnston and Colin Stein, as well as tales from supporters and journalists such as Archie Macpherson. The trailer hints at the drama to come in the feature-length film, which is due to be released next month, as Hollywood actor James Cosmo’s dramatic narration casts a spell over the viewer.

The film is made by The City Talking Studios, who also produced the acclaimed docu-series ‘Take Us Home: Leeds United’ which was shown on Amazon Prime. Executive Producer Lee Hicken said: “It has been an honour to make this film both for Rangers fans and the wider world. The more we talked to the players and the fans who were there, the better the story became and we can't wait to share it with audiences around the globe.”

Giuseppe De Luca directed the film and interviewed many of the team who beat Russian side Dynamo Moscow in Barcelona. He said: “Rangers’ journey to lifting the European Cup Winners’ Cup in 1972 is a story with a special club at its heart, of ordinary people doing extraordinary things, of circumstance and courage; this is football at its most relevant. I feel truly privileged to have been able to capture this story and share it with an audience”.

Willie Mathieson is another of the heroes to feature prominently in Rangers72, the story of Rangers’ only European trophy to date. He said: “Over 15 years I had the honour and privilege to serve Glasgow Rangers as a player, and the interview brought back many happy memories for me. Fifty years on, the memories of Barcelona remain the greatest achievement of my footballing career and to be able to see the film will be a very emotional and proud moment for me.”

The film and special collectors’ items are now available to pre-order at rangers72.com.
Details of the digital release of the film will be revealed in April.

Still can't believe that I have seen 2 of these games in my life time.

I wonder if I will get a 3rd time lucky?  

I hugely doubt it. Most players will be aware of us now. Everyone will know they need to up their game. 

I never thought I would see us score 4 goals away in Germany either. Especially against Dortmund. 

That game and the Leipzig game will never be forgotten.  

14 hours ago, aird said:

Hey I’m watching Rangers72. Check it out now on Prime Video!

https://watch.amazon.co.uk/detail?gti=amzn1.dv.gti.b6ef42a0-c468-4887-bcdf-38aa8f608525&ref_=atv_dp_share_mv&r=web

Free to for prime. That's my Friday night sorted. 

Cheers mate :thumbsup:
So many memories.
As soon as James started speaking i was back at Ibrox in 71/72.

10 hours ago, theblueoysterbar said:

FFS Archie, cut your nose hair. You're on the telly and have neglected to do a one-minute job.

It happens when you get older with grey randoms popping out here and there,and you baw hairs that used to be black and shiny like coal turn grey and get longer.
It will happen mate :sad:...:mutley:
Me personally have just embraced it. :thumbsup: 

17 hours ago, stampyurie said:

Watched it today. Was a great watch. Why didn't John Greig not join the team at them end for the team photo

Maybe had covid you saw a shot of him putting on a mask before all the players gathered together.

I’d highly recommend anyone to watch it it was really well done.

Maybe too soon a release after Seville though! 

Very interesting and very enjoyable, brought a few tears that's for sure. So many of my heroes growing up, sad that some of them no longer here with us. Certainly, no matter your era I think it would be a great watch for anyone.

Interesting that the 72 team won after losing the 67 final, gives me hope we can keep building and perhaps another European final isn't far away. We've proven we can do it, why not again? 

12 minutes ago, Redmond7 said:

Very interesting and very enjoyable, brought a few tears that's for sure. So many of my heroes growing up, sad that some of them no longer here with us. Certainly, no matter your era I think it would be a great watch for anyone.

Interesting that the 72 team won after losing the 67 final, gives me hope we can keep building and perhaps another European final isn't far away. We've proven we can do it, why not again? 

Alec MacDonald spoke about "polo necks in spain" and it wasn't till he held up his Barcelona Winners top you could see what he meant.
Remember going to a corporate day for my 65th and Alec was there,and he really is a good down to earh guy,and was talking about his Grandkids and the first one couldn't say Granda and called him jam jar and all his grand kids still call him wee jam jar.
He always seems to have a tear in his eye.  
We all saw him play and he only earned one Scotland cap.
Adored every one of that team and Dave Smith was the pick of the bunch as far as players go.

6 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Maybe had covid you saw a shot of him putting on a mask before all the players gathered together.

I’d highly recommend anyone to watch it it was really well done.

Maybe too soon a release after Seville though! 

Suppose, never really though of that

Watched it today with my old man as a wee joint Father’s Day treat as the kids had bought me it on blu-ray.

Brilliant watch, everyone of them a legend in our fantastic club.

The end was not emotional as thoughts just went back to the Frankfurt game, we were so close to emulating that wonderful night.

We are definitely winning the next one we get to, no doubt about it.

3 hours ago, 35 Yard Dangerman said:

Just finished it there.

Superb stuff.

Happened 10 years before I was born but i knew exactly what those supporters at the game must have been like and experienced.

Got goosebumps at the narration and was choking up with memories and went through so many emotions when the squad went into the line up and their was 2 empty seats for Sandy Jardine and Colin Jackson. :sad: 
For this generation who have been through Manchester and Seville i really hope they experience what they felt when Joe Aribo scored in the final....and they can win a final :cup: 
That final sometimes seems like a lifetime away and watching that feels like it was yesterday mate.

1 hour ago, MorelosRangers said:

Why did they not appear? Also surprised Henderson didnt get interviewed. I know he didnt play as much but is still a legend who was in the team.

Conn probably affronted after jumping the dyke to play for them,and maybe the barrel had parcels to deliver for DX that day.
Tommy Mclean will soon be inducted into m/well hall of fame for his SC win in 1991 and not sure why he wasn't included.