Arfield extends contract

EMRFC

8 minutes ago, KaiserJon said:

We also just lost the man who really got it. I don't expect Arfield to be starting many games but his influence in and around the squad could be invaluable ( we don't know so just guessing that part ).

Jimmy bell was in my thoughts when saying it I just didn't know how to put it in to words to give both justice. 

Just now, psb07158 said:

This was a no brainer if he was willing to drop salary 

I’d also give Davis 1 more year - neither of them will play consistently but they’re more than good enough to play and contribute vs bottom 6 dross in the SPFL. 

I'd let Davis go personally. Mental how much a divisive topic it is eh 😂

I’m happy with this, he has been a good servant to, and loves the Club, I am no tactician and very rarely comment on that subject, but if he can do a job when required - which I believe he has done this season - then why not.

It may be his abilities in training the next generation to dig in and get a result that we are paying for.

3 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

We need guys like him in the dressing room when a lot of new faces come through the door. The correct decision. Hopefully Goldson next.

People think it's football manager and you can just release all your old players and bring in 19 year old wonderkids to win the league.

30 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

I’d also give Davis 1 more year - neither of them will play consistently but they’re more than good enough to play and contribute vs bottom 6 dross in the SPFL. 

For me it depends if we're losing Kamara and Aribo, if they are then it's essential to keep both. If only losing one I'd only keep one of Arfield/Davis.

Plus if we win the Europa can you think of a better way to retire for Davis/McGregor?

9 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

For me it depends if we're losing Kamara and Aribo, if they are then it's essential to keep both. If only losing one I'd only keep one of Arfield/Davis.

Plus if we win the Europa can you think of a better way to retire for Davis/McGregor?

Whole team will want to retire not just those two 😅

Slept on it and I still think although I like Arfield I wouldn’t have given him a new contract.

The whole we need to keep him so new faces can “learn what it’s about” really doesn’t cut it for me either. We aren’t going to let the whole squad leave. Are the likes of Tav, Bassey and Lundstram leaving?

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Slept on it and I still think although I like Arfield I wouldn’t have given him a new contract.

The whole we need to keep him so new faces can “learn what it’s about” really doesn’t cut it for me either. We aren’t going to let the whole squad leave. Are the likes of Tav, Bassey and Lundstram leaving?

How many of the midfield are potentially leaving? Kamara, Davis, Aribo. You can't lose 4 of your midfield and replace them overnight. Like said above what Scottish trained guy you bringing in to replace him too for the Euros squad?

11 hours ago, psb07158 said:

The problem is they aren’t. We drew or lost one in every 3 games this year? We lost the league. We are all on a high from Europe and Lundstrum, Jack and Kamara have been great. We need to improve again next year to win the league. celtic will with champions league money. Keeping guys like Arfield and Davis isn’t improving.

The games that lost us the league after Xmas. Ross County, celtic, Dundee Utd and Motherwell. Arfield started all of them (and was subbed when we were behind or drawing).

Also started the game in the league cup against Hibs.

Now goes without saying it wasn’t all his fault. But this notion that he’s good enough to step in and do a job and be part of a winning side isn’t true. 
The guy has been a great servant and even this year popped up with the occasional great goal. But he isn’t producing enough now. Much better giving the scouting team to try and unearth eg an O Riley like celtic did. Who can produce for the first team.

We have Lowry coming through and Hagi coming back, no harm to him but Scott Arfield is a fairly standard Scottish type midfielder coming to the end of his career, we should be looking for replacements, Ive no idea what the terms of his contract are but for me Davis is the better option to keep out of the two

Rangers already have precious few Scottish/club-trained players for the Euro squad next season. Just now, only Wright, Jack, Souttar will count as domestically trained so we're one player down in Europa and Lowry and King are likely the only to club-trained we'll have so that's another two spots we have to leave empty.

15 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Understand the whole Homegrown rule/ director of banter but fuck me, absolutely nowhere near what we need.

it’s bordering on painful watching him now.

He will be a better squad player than some of the shite signings we've made before to beef the squad up. We'll sign someone else of better standard and he'll be used sparingly. His all round presence and professionalism on the training pitch will be invaluable next season when the likes of Davis and McGregor retire.