Hot Headed Morelos

Blue Viking

37 minutes ago, The true baller said:

Thought it was a major brass neck at ER when our fans started singing Alfredo after the sending off. There's supporting your player and then being alright with him taking the piss. Walked off smiling pocketing 15 grand or so for that pish 

It was Hibs fans signing it. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's really not. Nobody has explained what has changed to make his fitness and attitude issues make him so toxic he can't even travel to Eindhoven having been on the bench just a couple of days ago.

Stay tuned for Gio’s press conference at 5pm to find out but the term kept ‘in-house’ probably applies to this and you’ll get a slightly edited answer.

Just now, The Dude said:

But they certainly wouldn't be fitness problems. If he was drunk earlier in the week as claimed ITT, he should never have been involved on Saturday and should have been suspended on the spot by the club.

Fitness and attitude are both two separate issues and yet also potentially related to each other.

You are so desperate for this to be a problem with anybody else I can't be bothered continuing this 

Just now, Broxi said:

Fitness and attitude are both two separate issues and yet also potentially related to each other.

You are so desperate for this to be a problem with anybody else I can't be bothered continuing this 

So we've played an unfit player who isn't working hard enough and then after rewarding him for not working him hard enough by giving him a place on the bench and bringing him on we are now punishing him - and weakening the squad - for not working hard enough while aslo saying he has attitude problems?

3 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Would it not be the case that we've been trying to build up Morelos' fitness for a while now? Perhaps he's not as up to speed as we'd hoped by this point. It's guesswork, really. But the fact he didn't even come on against PSV last week is telling as well, IMO.

Tbh I try to avoid judging fitness of players by photos. We had folk on here claiming he was in great shape when he returned early during pre-season. Now he's a fat mess, apparently.

Clearly the red card has escalated things to some degree, and maybe something else has occurred but TBH, he probably deserves to be dropped from the squad for leaving his teammates in the lurch like he did on Saturday. The start of a very tough run, and he won't be available after an act of stupidity, which sets his own match sharpness back another 2-3 weeks.

How does the manager know he can rely upon him not to do something equally stupid on Wednesday? 

Best post in this thread. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So we've played an unfit player who isn't working hard enough and then after rewarding him for not working him hard enough by giving him a place on the bench and bringing him on we are now punishing him - and weakening the squad - for not working hard enough while aslo saying he has attitude problems?

It is ridiculous that your post apparently sums up the situation.   You have to ask wtf is going on at the Club.   

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He is getting punished mainly for what happened on Saturday, it also coincides with the fact he is unfit AGAIN and his attitude stinks AGAIN!! 

Just now, AGM_72 said:

Would it not be the case that we've been trying to build up Morelos' fitness for a while now? Perhaps he's not as up to speed as we'd hoped by this point. It's guesswork, really. But the fact he didn't even come on against PSV last week is telling as well, IMO.

Tbh I try to avoid judging fitness of players by photos. We had folk on here claiming he was in great shape when he returned early during pre-season. Now he's a fat mess, apparently.

Clearly the red card has escalated things to some degree, and maybe something else has occurred but TBH, he probably deserves to be dropped from the squad for leaving his teammates in the lurch like he did on Saturday. The start of a very tough run, and he won't be available after an act of stupidity, which sets his own match sharpness back another 2-3 weeks.

How does the manager know he can rely upon him not to do something equally stupid on Wednesday? 

To a point, yes, we'd be looking to build his fitness up but that'll, usually, only come when a player is putting the work in to get back to full fitness. If he'd started the summer working and has dropped off, I'd expect to have seen his place on the bench given to someone else - or at least other players brought on instead of Morelos. By keeping him involved as we have, I find it hard to believe there have been concerns over his efforts to get match fit.

Wee example (and sorry if anyone feels like I'm insulting their intelligence here) - See when you see players get close to starts after injury and then they maybe disappear from the squad for a game or two with a knock or a 'he's just got a bit stiffness/fatigue after so long out', sometimes that's because they've taken their foot off the gas a bit in training and aren't putting in the work to get back to 100%.

If Morelos has slacked off, I'd have expected to see him 'a wee bit tired' after 5 months out and dropped for a game or two. The fact the club are briefing that his contract offer is off the table suggests there's something MUCH bigger that's happened behind the scenes .

Alfie could have been the game winner on Wed -hopefully somebody else will be- so he had to be in the squad and had to be given some game time at the weekend

1 minute ago, The Specky Liar said:

Rewarding him by giving him a place in the bench 🤣

Absolutely. We could easily have put someone else in there and left Morelos sitting in the stand like a dick. Give a player the choice of sitting on the bench stripped or sitting in the stand, there's only one winner.

Just now, The Dude said:

To a point, yes, we'd be looking to build his fitness up but that'll, usually, only come when a player is putting the work in to get back to full fitness. If he'd started the summer working and has dropped off, I'd expect to have seen his place on the bench given to someone else - or at least other players brought on instead of Morelos. By keeping him involved as we have, I find it hard to believe there have been concerns over his efforts to get match fit.

Wee example (and sorry if anyone feels like I'm insulting their intelligence here) - See when you see players get close to starts after injury and then they maybe disappear from the squad for a game or two with a knock or a 'he's just got a bit stiffness/fatigue after so long out', sometimes that's because they've taken their foot off the gas a bit in training and aren't putting in the work to get back to 100%.

If Morelos has slacked off, I'd have expected to see him 'a wee bit tired' after 5 months out and dropped for a game or two. The fact the club are briefing that his contract offer is off the table suggests there's something MUCH bigger that's happened behind the scenes .

Can it not just be as simple as why would we be offering him a new deal with likely improved terms at a time where he's not clearly fit and sulking?

This has been addressed multiple times, not sure why you’re still going on about it.

Clearly he isn’t fit yet. Part of getting fit means getting minutes on the pitch at the required level. Can only do that by being on the bench and getting on. 

Your top earner being on the bench isn’t a ‘reward’.

This isn’t a binary situation, it’s clearly an aggregation of incidents (big or small) or a mega blowout of some sort that’s led to the punishment.

He’s not in a state to offer anything vs PSV, and my take on it is it’s probably more important to set the boundaries for behaviour that take him with the team if he’s done something bad. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Yes... attitude problems :lol:

That could cover almost every possible reason for this scenario

Just now, graeme_4 said:

This has been addressed multiple times, not sure why you’re still going on about it.

Clearly he isn’t fit yet. Part of getting fit means getting minutes on the pitch at the required level. Can only do that by being on the bench and getting on. 

Your top earner being on the bench isn’t a ‘reward’.

This isn’t a binary situation, it’s clearly an aggregation of incidents (big or small) or a mega blowout of some sort that’s led to the punishment.

He’s not in a state to offer anything vs PSV, and my take on it is it’s probably more important to set the boundaries for behaviour that take him with the team if he’s done something bad. 

Our top earner seems to change on a daily basis and depending on who the subject of the thread is.

After five months out injured, it absolutely is a reward for effort in training. If a player is half-arsing their rehab and recovery, they aren't getting thrown back into the side a month ahead of plan.

2 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

He only returned to training at the end of last month after 5 months out. Are we expecting him to be fit straight away?

You just need to look at Ryan Jack as an example, a guy who had a pre season and has still looked unfit.

If Morelos fitness has been an issue then he shouldn't be coming on in games, also I fail to see how him playing 10-20 minutes in competitive football is better than playing 90 in a bounce game for his fitness, touch and sharpness.

2 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

Why not just keep him on the bench?