Lazy

scottyc06

One thing that stood out for me tonight was Napoli's work rate off the ball. It was outstanding, chasing every ball, strikers coming back to support.  Then we see our guys jogging and walking about like they're out for a stroll with the dog at the park.  Whether it be fitness levels, belief or tactics - something is fundamentally wrong compared to last season.  Not only would we have went into games like this with belief, we would have at least worked our arses off.  Neither were really present tonight or at all this CL campaign.  

We do play lazy football; no intensity, no pressing, the easy pass backs, ambling when we do have the ball, standing off opponents, the lazy high cross instead of one twos, covering far less ground than opponents, the failure to simply mark opponents at set pieces, no movement to create triangles or even options for our players to make passes. Even entering the field at the start of the second half tonight was embarrassing; the camera focused on Tillman trudging onto the park while the Napoli players in the background ran on which got me thinking whether I have ever seen players not running onto the pitch after the break.

The fitness concerns are valid, we can see it with our own eyes week by week... I've never seen a fitter Rangers team than the one this year between March and May, losing Bassey and Aribo was always going to have an impact, I'm not sure if there's a downer on a few players after the Europa League final, or the ones who're still here are burnt out after their efforts earlier in the year, a mixture of all or something just completely different like a split between senior players and the manager.

Maybe the manager has told senior pros like Tav/Goldson/Davis/McGregor that better players will be arriving if we got in the CL and then nothing happens.

Too much stinks at the moment, two of out biggest assets in the last 4 years are well into the last year of their contracts, they don't seem interested in staying, we didn't look to do anywhere near enough to move them on - we let Goldson keep us on a string, he was clearly angling for a move to the EPL and when that didn't happen we re-sign him on what is more than likely some of the biggest wages we'll pay (BTW I like Goldson and it'd probably cost us way more to replace him as well as any new wage as it would've been to keep him but the optics were terrible) - We give Greegs his swansong cameo in the Scottish Cup Final, a month later we give him a new contract and then a month after that he starts the season second choice when 10 weeks before it he's the undisputed first choice in a European Final, it just doesn't make sense.

There's absolutely zero leadership and no cohesion whatsoever in any decision making.

I don't know if the players are lazy or they're just mentally fatigued with the bi-polar way we've been run these last four months.

1 hour ago, NixonRFC said:

The fitness concerns are valid, we can see it with our own eyes week by week... I've never seen a fitter Rangers team than the one this year between March and May, losing Bassey and Aribo was always going to have an impact, I'm not sure if there's a downer on a few players after the Europa League final, or the ones who're still here are burnt out after their efforts earlier in the year, a mixture of all or something just completely different like a split between senior players and the manager.

Maybe the manager has told senior pros like Tav/Goldson/Davis/McGregor that better players will be arriving if we got in the CL and then nothing happens.

Too much stinks at the moment, two of out biggest assets in the last 4 years are well into the last year of their contracts, they don't seem interested in staying, we didn't look to do anywhere near enough to move them on - we let Goldson keep us on a string, he was clearly angling for a move to the EPL and when that didn't happen we re-sign him on what is more than likely some of the biggest wages we'll pay (BTW I like Goldson and it'd probably cost us way more to replace him as well as any new wage as it would've been to keep him but the optics were terrible) - We give Greegs his swansong cameo in the Scottish Cup Final, a month later we give him a new contract and then a month after that he starts the season second choice when 10 weeks before it he's the undisputed first choice in a European Final, it just doesn't make sense.

There's absolutely zero leadership and no cohesion whatsoever in any decision making.

I don't know if the players are lazy or they're just mentally fatigued with the bi-polar way we've been run these last four months.

Arfield told us we didn’t work on fitness in pre season and said at Burnley they basiscally ran every day of pre season bar one and that’s what he’d do as a coach, gio fucked it, we are a shambles 

5 hours ago, RFC55 said:

Arfield told us we didn’t work on fitness in pre season and said at Burnley they basiscally ran every day of pre season bar one and that’s what he’d do as a coach, gio fucked it, we are a shambles 

That's shocking if true. Gio was a highly fit player during his career, I thought he'd have brought that level with him as a manager. 

Is it a fitness issue or an application/desire issue?

I'm learning more towards the latter.

Fitness is something that will really only affect the last 20/25 minutes but we are repeatedly flat from the first whistle.

9 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Coaching and emphasis on a fitness regime. Clear communication about each players role and responsibilities and a strategy to beat the opposition in full knowledge of the oppositions methods/tactics

I’ll even chuck in predicting the opposition’s reaction to attack and defend. 

Good enough of did you fall asleep?

Glad you thought I was talking to you 🙄

Aye, bored to tears pal 🥱😁

6 hours ago, RFC55 said:

I remember that article but I think folk read a bit too much into it, Gio played under Advocaat, Wenger and Rijkaard and played at the very highest level of the game and for the second half of his career played in a position (fullback) where physical fitness has to be at it's peak to perform, I just can't get my head around a scenario where he wouldn't understand that.

Our best performances last season came from games where our performances late on in games be it second halfs or extra times garnered a lot of praise from a lot of pundits/press, you'd expect that would encourage him to stick to that particular formula.

I agree though that's not been the case but I'd love to know what's happened, I just can't see it being a direct order from the manager.

1 hour ago, Gman36 said:

That's shocking if true. Gio was a highly fit player during his career, I thought he'd have brought that level with him as a manager. 

That's what I don't get, supremely fit and played at the highest level under top managers who were so fitness oriented, you'd imagine it would just be natural for him to take that outlook into his own management style.

11 hours ago, WWTC said:

Part of me thinks the team simply doesnt look as fit or sharp as it has done in the last few seasons. Another part thinks all the fitness work in the world wont stop Tillman from looking like one of the laziest football players ive ever seen. 

Hes fucking hoaching.

Big basketball player imo.

Will play in the bundesliga 11 if lucky.

Not suited for the tempo of scottish fitba. Just looks so slow n laboured.

Only good thing no more borna passback 🤞🤞👌 surely

9 hours ago, docspiderman said:

We do play lazy football; no intensity, no pressing, the easy pass backs, ambling when we do have the ball, standing off opponents, the lazy high cross instead of one twos, covering far less ground than opponents, the failure to simply mark opponents at set pieces, no movement to create triangles or even options for our players to make passes. Even entering the field at the start of the second half tonight was embarrassing; the camera focused on Tillman trudging onto the park while the Napoli players in the background ran on which got me thinking whether I have ever seen players not running onto the pitch after the break.

Tillmans face coming on to that pitch especially mccoist commented on it.

Few sky rockets need booted to fuck. Gio would help himself getting kevin thomson or someone on that coaching staff.

Ive never seem this boy vos leave the bench.

11 hours ago, CraigRangers9 said:

Simple and short. Beaten by a team that are the best in their own league. Are real contenders for the CL. Yet we had a chance to pull one back. And then who knows. Anyway, Fuck Europe now. It's gone. I am certain we will do a lot better next season. Well, We have to !.

And Dundee , Motherwell , Livingstone . . .  ? 

4 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

Few sky rockets need booted to fuck. Gio would help himself getting kevin thomson or someone on that coaching staff.

He looks like he really can’t be fucked being here. No emotion, no fight just going through the motions. Could say the same about plenty of the current squad. 
We have had some amount of shite footballers  over the years but as far as effort goes this lot are right up there with the worst. 
What a fucking mess this club is in. 

8 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

We'll be champions at tracky backy in no time at all.

4 hours ago, TheKingObv said:

Is it a fitness issue or an application/desire issue?

I'm learning more towards the latter.

Fitness is something that will really only affect the last 20/25 minutes but we are repeatedly flat from the first whistle.

Think its a bit of both , one things for sure we have lost any fitness we had.

39 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

I think we need a loud voice from the dug out. That's why I said Duncan Ferguson on another thread. Thomson, Rae maybe.

I think part of it is that a lot of the squad has been involved in a lot of matches over the last few years. The last two seasons have been gruelling with the europa league performances. Doesn't excuse it all, but I think it's a factor. 

2 hours ago, Gman36 said:

I think part of it is that a lot of the squad has been involved in a lot of matches over the last few years. The last two seasons have been gruelling with the europa league performances. Doesn't excuse it all, but I think it's a factor. 

We were outrun and outplayed by Livi last week, I wouldn't say that's the result of playing too many games, I would suggest it's because our squad is unfit.