Roofe or Morelos next weekend?

MacBoyd

15 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Roofe injured again apparently.  Fuck me man. 

What's the chances of that?

He is a good player, but we need to get the career injury prone players like Roofe and Jack off our books.

You get your hopes up because they are decent players,but they get injured before they are even match fiti, tme and time again.

They will be on good salaries but hardly play for us  Money would be better spent elsewhere. 

Why would it more likely be a mental thing than him being extremely injury prone?

Seems a bit easy to have a go at his mentality, of which I’ve never had the impression he’s lacking in. He was the first player defending Tillman against Partick, he clearly loves the Club, he respects the fans, and he’s scored massive goals for us in Europe.

If he is out it’ll have nothing to do with mentality.

10 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Why would it more likely be a mental thing than him being extremely injury prone?

Seems a bit easy to have a go at his mentality, of which I’ve never had the impression he’s lacking in. He was the first player defending Tillman against Partick, he clearly loves the Club, he respects the fans, and he’s scored massive goals for us in Europe.

I think it's a lot of frustration from posters because when fit he's a really good player who certainly makes an impact. 

Mentally seems really strong, but disappointing if he's injured again so quickly. Definitely seems the kind of player we need to wrap in cotton wool during the week, much like Spurs used to have to do with Ledley King. 

8 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I think it's a lot of frustration from posters because when fit he's a really good player who certainly makes an impact. 

Mentally seems really strong, but disappointing if he's injured again so quickly. Definitely seems the kind of player we need to wrap in cotton wool during the week, much like Spurs used to have to do with Ledley King. 

Warp Roofe in cotton wool you’d probably break his collarbone 

A manager needs to think medium to long term, plan a strategy, a shape, a style and then consider personnel.

You simply cannot make any plans that involve Jack or Roofe, it’s that simple. Their only contribution can be from the bench because they are clearly too frail to play in successive games.

Of course, all players can suffer injuries but when the games missed gets close to (or even exceeds) the games played, then their contribution has to be looked upon as an occasional, fleeting bonus from the bench until the next injury comes along.

Morelos to start supported by Kent and Sakala with Colak on the bench. If either Jack or Roofe are fit, bench is the best they can hope for.

Both will be part of the major summer clearout imo.

2 hours ago, Essandoh said:

Just because he's first in a scrap and loves the club etc, doesn't mean he isnt mentally different to other players when he feels a slight twinge or anything in his body

He's been injured that long that any sort of tightness, strain, niggle or anything is exaggerated in his head compared to others 

Look at goldson, barely injured and when he was he was back early doors, he's probably more confident in what his body can do than roofe is

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Just because he's first in a scrap and loves the club etc, doesn't mean he isnt mentally different to other players when he feels a slight twinge or anything in his body

He's been injured that long that any sort of tightness, strain, niggle or anything is exaggerated in his head compared to others 

Look at goldson, barely injured and when he was he was back early doors, he's probably more confident in what his body can do than roofe is

Complete and utter conjecture

Pretty gutted tbh.

Having him off the bench, and Tillman starting I’d put us as favourites. Be a struggle without them I think.

When you then add in Ridvan, Souttar, Helander, Jack, Lundstram, Lawrence, and then the fact that Hagi and Colak look miles off fitness you start to worry.

Doubt it’s just mentality. Some players are just much more susceptible to injuries and poor recovery because of a number of factors.

Pretty clear were miles behind other top clubs in the sports injury arms race. And football generally is miles behind American sports. Eg There’s a huge new wave of research into sports genetics. (Variations of different genes and the relationship with the strength of tendons and ligaments). If you don’t know what you’re looking for then you’re going to be on the wrong end of some bad transfers. Like buying a “cheap” Ferrari but not having a mechanic to see if the engine is any good. Ends up not being a great deal after all.

Anyways massive blow. Just think he’s a class above Colak coming off the bench

Roofe is a really good player. He’s got a good goal scoring record for us and I think his intelligence as a footballer shows every time he’s on the park, but come the end of the season we need to be looking at a replacement for him, because he simply isn’t reliable enough and as he gets older he’s only going to become more unreliable.

I think he’s here until his deal is up though, no club is going to touch him unless it’s a loan deal where we pick up a significant chunk of his wages.

3 hours ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Absolutely mental that anyone would consider starting Roofe on Sunday.

Not exactly mental when morelos has scored 2 goals in 20 games against them and missed countless sitters including 2 in the last game. I find it hard to think he will score on Sunday unfortunately.