James Tavernier

KeyserSoze

Just now, kelvd1873 said:

The ball came in fro his flank again. Usual repetitive pushy goal we let in game after game against them. Tav is a shite defender. 

It came from his flank because O'Riley wandered from midfield and nobody went with him. He can't cover Maeda, O'Riley and Taylor by himself.

9 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

He’s not going to stop every single cut back, same as Barasic.

Its on the CB’s to actually watch their man.

It's both. The CBs aren't close enough, but Tav rarely is either.

He'll never be good enough as a defender, that ship has sailed, 

But if he can contribute going forward like today, and we get more fluid and mobile midfielders to cover him, then maybe he has a part to play in the future, 

If we dont though the style we ask both fullbacks to play will constantly put them in the spotlight 

3 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Tav snuffed out Maeda most of the time.

Aye, I'm not denying that, or that he played well, but in the very specific circumstance in wide areas inside the box against a striker with the ball, he stands off way too much. And it's cost us more than once.

And I don't think he's as bad a defender as made out either.

56 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

It came from his flank because O'Riley wandered from midfield and nobody went with him. He can't cover Maeda, O'Riley and Taylor by himself.

Tav wasn’t at fault for the goal. O’Riley runs off Jack. It’s jacks fault then as usual we don’t seem to pick up on Kyogo who does the same thing every single time. Davies gets done.

Thought Tav was brilliant going forward and defensively. Maeda got nothing out of him. We just gifted them 2 goals with errors and Jack didn’t track his runner

3 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Tav wasn’t at fault for the goal. O’Riley runs off Jack. It’s jacks fault then as usual we don’t seem to pick up on Kyogo who does the same thing every single time. Davies gets done.

Thought Tav was brilliant going forward and defensively. Maeda got nothing out of him. We just gifted them 2 goals with errors and Jack didn’t track his runner

I don't even blame Davies. Once the ball is in behind, its chaos in the 6 yard box, and only takes a split second of movement by Kyogo. The damage is done not tracking the runner.

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Agree with this. During the build up, Jack is actually standing outside of box watching O’Riley wander into box in front of him and doesn’t go with him. It’s a great touch from O’Riley to take him to byline. You can argue Tav needs to get closer  enough so maybe he can block a cut back or cut across. But have to say it’s a good bit  of play from O’Riley for that one. He did let a cross go thru his legs from Maeda before that so although he had a very good game today and scored 2 great goals, he still has defensive frailties which cost us in games.  And he does stand too far off opposition for me.  But think it’s harsh to blame him for first goal. Midfielders ball watching is to blame. Something  too many of our players rare fucking  guilty of!

20 minutes ago, Davidorrp said:

Agree with this. During the build up, Jack is actually standing outside of box watching O’Riley wander into box in front of him and doesn’t go with him. It’s a great touch from O’Riley to take him to byline. You can argue Tav needs to get closer  enough so maybe he can block a cut back or cut across. But have to say it’s a good bit  of play from O’Riley for that one. He did let a cross go thru his legs from Maeda before that so although he had a very good game today and scored 2 great goals, he still has defensive frailties which cost us in games.  And he does stand too far off opposition for me.  But think it’s harsh to blame him for first goal. Midfielders ball watching is to blame. Something  too many of our players rare fucking  guilty of!

Aye and watch the two central defenders, school boy stuff

1 hour ago, Roy Hobbs said:

I don't even blame Davies. Once the ball is in behind, its chaos in the 6 yard box, and only takes a split second of movement by Kyogo. The damage is done not tracking the runner.

This, people dont realise once a winger etc hits the byline its a nightmare for the centre halves, you have to watch the guy crossing it, watch your striker knowing that half a yard and he's in space and also try defend the cross

Why ive always wanted us to use a system such as that, throwing cross balls from wide out is pointless as defenders usually head them away

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

This, people dont realise once a winger etc hits the byline its a nightmare for the centre halves, you have to watch the guy crossing it, watch your striker knowing that half a yard and he's in space and also try defend the cross

Why ive always wanted us to use a system such as that, throwing cross balls from wide out is pointless as defenders usually head them away

That’s what Kent is supposed to do for us, get to byline and  cut crosses back or across goals, but Kent very rarely takes the option to go to byline, even when it’s the only option. Tbh even Tav and Borna don’t go to the byline enough opting to cross from corner of penalty box area. Another issue I think we need to address sadly. Our game “intelligence” really worries me at times.

1 hour ago, SANDYGER said:

Yep

Utter shite.

If he tried to block a cutback and the ball goes across the face of goal he'd rightly get slated. 

He positions to block that and the ball is cut back. That's on others to mark those players and they failed.

Tbh this seems like an unjustified anti Tav dig purely cos it's Tav.

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Insane stats. But still a serial loser. 

In teams where every season we've been underdogs to win due to spend etc. Many seasons of which our club has been in turmoil and an embarrassment. 

Fucking daft in the circumstances to expect us to be serial winners tbh.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Utter shite.

If he tried to block a cutback and the ball goes across the face of goal he'd rightly get slated. 

He positions to block that and the ball is cut back. That's on others to mark those players and they failed.

Tbh this seems like an unjustified anti Tav dig purely cos it's Tav.

Could be right,  but how frustrating is it it that the same thing happens everytime.For the record I am not anti Tav , he done well today, but personally can't help getting frustrated with losing goals in the same manner as previous 

28 minutes ago, SANDYGER said:

Could be right,  but how frustrating is it it that the same thing happens everytime.For the record I am not anti Tav , he done well today, but personally can't help getting frustrated with losing goals in the same manner as previous 

What position do / did you play yourself?