Tav as right winger

MonTheGers

Unpopular opinion but I think he’s fine as a RB. He’s not blameless for the goal but we should never have been in that situation. He’s probably thinking about getting forward when it looks like we have possession.

He’s done a pretty darn good job against Maeda of late.

It’s been individual errors and dropping runners on two occasions from Jack and Lundstrum which have resulted in the goals of late.

Our defence will improve immeasurably as well with a good gk.

The worst part of his game yesterday was his shite corners. Why was he hitting them so high and long to the back post . Was it a tactic? 

3 hours ago, docspiderman said:

Why play 3 CBs when for 34  domestic games teams sit back and defend against us and the other 4 games the scum play with one central striker and two wingers who hug the touchline? Maybe just ask the holding midfielders to do their job and slot in  when the full backs go forward.

Because I said in games like yesterday ie games against them. 

And yes they play with wingers, which means they put balls in the box, 3 CBs in there shoukd deal with 99% of they balls into the box. 

51 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Unpopular opinion but I think he’s fine as a RB. He’s not blameless for the goal but we should never have been in that situation. He’s probably thinking about getting forward when it looks like we have possession.

He’s done a pretty darn good job against Maeda of late.

It’s been individual errors and dropping runners on two occasions from Jack and Lundstrum which have resulted in the goals of late.

Our defence will improve immeasurably as well with a good gk.

The worst part of his game yesterday was his shite corners. Why was he hitting them so high and long to the back post . Was it a tactic? 

He let Mooy outmuscle him once when he was in control but other than that his 1v1 defending was excellent.

He's partly at fault for the goal but Jota's moving before Maeda even crosses it, would have been some piece of defending to anticipate that and cut it out.

As you said yesterday, McGregor allowing a floated ball into his 6 yard box with no attempt at claiming it had a role in it too. Four or five players fucked it.

19 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He let Mooy outmuscle him once when he was in control but other than that his 1v1 defending was excellent.

He's partly at fault for the goal but Jota's moving before Maeda even crosses it, would have been some piece of defending to anticipate that and cut it out.

As you said yesterday, McGregor allowing a floated ball into his 6 yard box with no attempt at claiming it had a role in it too. Four or five players fucked it.

I’m not having that a good keeper can’t punch that or at worst get a yard closer to block it

C3310302-8A44-47AE-97E5-AD96800B063D.png

10 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Plenty of people to blame for their goal.  McGregor isnae one of them ffs.

Why. Just because it’s not an obvious mistake like a misplaced pass?

He’s scored a header from a few yards out in almost the centre of the goal from a floated cross.

its fucking terrible goalkeeping. We’re just used to a keeper who can’t defend crosses.

Hart punched one away from the penalty spot

3 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

He’s scored a header from a few yards out in almost the centre of the goal from a floated cross.

its fucking terrible goalkeeping. We’re just used to a keeper who can’t defend crosses.

Honestly this forum does my tits in at times. 

McGregors fault 🙈

3331ae1f-fdde-456c-bc84-e8890691cdc1.jpeg

It's been tried and it didn't work, Warburton played around with it a couple of times, and that was a good few years ago now.

Tav's in his 30s, it's not the time to be experimenting.

Ideally, he'd have polished up his defensive abilities and actually strived to be a better RB.

We should be looking for his replacement in all honesty.

6 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

How the fuck are you blaming the goalkeeper, when seven, count it fucking 7 players switched off to gift them the goal? 😂 

IMG_20230430_174511.thumb.jpg.52342da64e43ea3824732360b5a99851.jpg

17 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

How the fuck are you blaming the goalkeeper, when seven, count it fucking 7 players switched off to gift them the goal? 😂 

IMG_20230430_174511.thumb.jpg.52342da64e43ea3824732360b5a99851.jpg

Ha ffs. Totally agree. There were about 5-6 players did shite for the goal. Just because Raskin and Barasic fucked up initially doesn’t mean you can’t say Tav did shit for the goal does it? Same for McGregor 

It’s honestly mental the standards some people accept for our gk. Or they have no clue about the position (fair enough if you’ve never played in goal).

A header from the middle of the goal from 3 yards out with the gk rooted to his line is criminal. Watch far lower leagues and you will see keepers coming for crosses. Blows my mind some fans just think this is normal

2 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Ha ffs. Totally agree. There were about 5-6 players did shite for the goal. Just because Raskin and Barasic fucked up initially doesn’t mean you can’t say Tav did shit for the goal does it? Same for McGregor 

It’s honestly mental the standards some people accept for our gk. Or they have no clue about the position (fair enough if you’ve never played in goal).

A header from the middle of the goal from 3 yards out with the gk rooted to his line is criminal. Watch far lower leagues and you will see keepers coming for crosses. Blows my mind some fans just think this is normal

Mate, I'm in no way saying McGregor doesn't have his flaws, but seven professional footballers switched off and didn't play to the whistle!

Sunday league teams know better ffs.

20 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Mate, I'm in no way saying McGregor doesn't have his flaws, but seven professional footballers switched off and didn't play to the whistle!

Sunday league teams know better ffs.

Aye agree. I’m not solely blaming him for the goal. Barasic, Raskin, Tav, Kent etc are all to blame before we get to McGregor.

I’m just pointing out that he also didn’t cover himself in glory. We have a 41 year old keeper that can’t do the basics anymore.
You can’t blame Tav for a slow reaction and not McGregor. Tav reacts late and still takes his first step before McGregor gets his in. Not to mention his positing isn’t great and his footwork is shite. A good gk is in a position to take a few steps and punch that away. 

We’re just so used to having a gk who can’t command his area. We’re all in for a pleasant surprise next year if we get anyone of remote competence 

82B2DF9A-7DB8-46A1-BA11-E316234C1AC1.png

The excuses for him are pathetic. 8 years he's been here and his lack of basic defending has cost us time after time. 

"He gives us so much going forward" isn't a good defence for him either. If Tav's our best option for a goal it shows how fucking shocking our recruitment has been.

Give me a defender that can defend and a forward player that can attack and the conundrum of Tav is gone.

4 hours ago, Loyal72 said:

It's been tried and it didn't work, Warburton played around with it a couple of times, and that was a good few years ago now.

Tav's in his 30s, it's not the time to be experimenting.

Ideally, he'd have polished up his defensive abilities and actually strived to be a better RB.

We should be looking for his replacement in all honesty.

Agreed, not the time in Tav's career where we should be experimenting with him. 

We need better options further up the field and the quality of player who'll dig in and actually help. Tav at 31 should be able to start to focus on defending as a more traditional RB rather than having to bomb up and down the park. We do that and we'll have Tav another few years. We lack dynamism throughout the rest of the squad unfortunately, which puts too much of an onus on Tav. 

But definitely succession planning should be in place. Devine could be that player, but there would need to be some sort of rotation or a loan for him to see him play consistently. 

21 minutes ago, King Jela said:

The excuses for him are pathetic. 8 years he's been here and his lack of basic defending has cost us time after time. 

"He gives us so much going forward" isn't a good defence for him either. If Tav's our best option for a goal it shows how fucking shocking our recruitment has been.

Give me a defender that can defend and a forward player that can attack and the conundrum of Tav is gone.

We don't have attackers who can attack. At the very least Tav gives us that. He's been our only threat against them in the past two games. Tav is miles away from being our biggest issue.

22 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

We don't have attackers who can attack. 

And like I said, that highlights the shambles that our recruitment is. 

You can't have an empty Jersey at right back for opposition teams to create chances from because he occasionally scores a free kick and takes the penalties.

He'll survive another summer because there's bigger issues in the team needing addressed but he will cost us again next season and that should be his last season, as a first team starter at least. 

1 hour ago, King Jela said:

Therein lies the problem. Because Tav is so good going forward and Morelos, when on form, was incredible, the club didn’t consider the flaws Tav has in defence and how much we missed Morelos when he was off form or injured. Any management with any degree of foresight would have tried to get a better right back (poss Paterson) and maybe then moved Tav forwards and another striker with similar characteristics to Morelos, so we wouldn’t be totally fucked when anything goes wrong.