Thank you Allan McGregor

Loyal72

6 hours ago, kelvd1873 said:

The debate on Goram v Shagger will go on for years to come. I’m lucky to have watched both legends play in goals for our club. Enjoy your retirement Shagger.

Aye this . 

Didn't think I'd ever see anyone close to Andy Goram , but if Alan McGregor didn't equal it , he wasn't a kick in the arse off it . I'm sure the debate will swing back and forth , and rightly too . 

12 minutes ago, markem said:

Many memories, the Samaras Pen ranks up there. 

One that would have been equally iconic if all had worked out was the one he saved down at Parkhead and think he injured himself in the process the Manchester season 

unfortunately they cunts went on and scored in the last minute but if we held on for that point we would have probably won that title and that save would have been as highly regarded as the samaras one 

1 hour ago, gmcf said:

Aye this . 

Didn't think I'd ever see anyone close to Andy Goram , but if Alan McGregor didn't equal it , he wasn't a kick in the arse off it . I'm sure the debate will swing back and forth , and rightly too . 

The way I look at it is this….

I idolized Goram as a kid and I had all the goalie strips at Xmas growing up. but I can admit Mcgregor is also up there. 

Goram saved shots he just not physically meant to save I.e van hooijdonk at Ibrox and Cantona at Elland rd for instance. He used to torment van hoijdonk, McStay, Burns and the rest. 

Where as McGregor made some top notch saves that propelled us towards trophies and titles like the samaras penalty. His saves at Bremen and Prague were world class imo. 

I can’t decide who’s better👍🏻

1 minute ago, kelvd1873 said:

I idolized Goram as a kid and I had all the goalie strips at Xmas growing up. but I can admit Mcgregor is also up there. 

Goram saved shots he just not physically meant to save I.e van hooijdonk at Ibrox and Cantona at Elland rd for instance. He used to torment van hoijdonk, McStay, Burns and the rest. 

Where as McGregor made some top notch saves that propelled us towards trophies and titles like the samaras penalty. His saves at Bremen and Prague were world class imo. 

For those that grew up at the right time Goram is the greatest we’ve had, but mcgregor is really close. The fact he still was performing at a high level season before last at his age is credit to him and hitting 488 appearances for the club and over 100 in europe is a great achievement. He is a legend in his own right but still can’t top Goram for me.

36 minutes ago, kelvd1873 said:

Not a great thread for the argument probably, but Goram was a significantly better all round goalie. 

Slightly better shot stopper, but much better at cross balls (especially for a wee guy) and much, much better with his feet. Not a debate for me. Goram was one of the best in the world at one point.

Nevertheless, Shagger was a wonderful goalkeeper. Second best in my time, and that truly is saying something considering the keepers we've had since 86.

Never watched a footballer have so many moments in so many games where I've said "holy shit" out loud. At times it felt like he defied the laws of gravity. 

I won't compare him and Goram but instead be thankful that we had two incredible keepers who just so happened to absolutely destroy them and break their hearts whilst doing so with a wee bit of hate.

9 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Not a great thread for the argument probably, but Goram was a significantly better all round goalie. 

Slightly better shot stopper, but much better at cross balls (especially for a wee guy) and much, much better with his feet. Not a debate for me. Goram was one of the best in the world at one point.

Nevertheless, Shagger was a wonderful goalkeeper. Second best in my time, and that truly is saying something considering the keepers we've had since 86.

The only part I think McGregor might edge Goram on is penalties 

not that Goram didn’t have his own iconic penalty saves throughout his career but don’t think I have ever had such confidence in a goalie with penalties as McGregor. You always felt there was a huge chance of him saving it when the opposition got one

Just now, cr3_bear said:

don’t think I have ever had such confidence in a goalie with penalties as McGregor. You always felt there was a huge chance of him saving it when the opposition got one

Yes, agree.

40 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

not that Goram didn’t have his own iconic penalty saves throughout his career but don’t think I have ever had such confidence in a goalie with penalties as McGregor. You always felt there was a huge chance of him saving it when the opposition got one

I think we all had high hopes going into the pens in Seville with shagger in there but unfortunately they were all incredibly good pens, apart from one.