Luis Rubiales

G.E.C.

Thought this merits a thread on its own.

Jenni Hermoso says she did not consent to be kissed by Spanish football federation president Luis Rubiales - as 81 players confirm they will not play for Spain's women's team until he is removed from his post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66621772

Was a bit unsure with this one at 1st. Did think he should have read the room and apologised but thought he'd maybe got caught up in the emotion and maybe just wasn't thinking things through in the moment. Then I seen him trying to explain it away and was reminded of Kudela trying to lie his way out of the Kamara abuse. Just so obviously bullshit and instant confirmation of guilt. 

I don't think his speech and explanation did him any favours. It has all the air of digging a hole.  However he is cornered.

I also don't think there's much to see regarding the actual incident. It honestly just looks like a Mediterranean guy celebrating and being joyful in a very typical way. I find it hard to say there is anything creepy/sexual/predatory there. I wish the media would stop the still image and show the whole medal ceremony unfold as it gives such different context.

One test I use is "would he have done the same or similar if it was a man", and honestly..... I think he may well of. It's a grab and quick peck as if to say "yaaaaaaas" - nothing more and tbh nothing imo that unusual in the context of Latin men celebrating having won football.

He shouldn't have done it, and taking a step back and thinking outside of the emotion of the event, he probably regrets it. Calling this "me too" or "assault" is cheapening the meaning of these things. Context and intent really has to be looked at and considered. IMO all he is guilty of is misreading the room and two lanes missing each other a bit. 

I do think this has became a bit of a witch hunt. He apologised for it in the immediacy, but it's not enough for people.

The sad thing is..... It's overshadowed a great achievement.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I don't think his speech and explanation did him any favours. It has all the air of digging a hole.  However he is cornered.

I also don't think there's much to see regarding the actual incident. It honestly just looks like a Mediterranean guy celebrating and being joyful in a very typical way. I find it hard to say there is anything creepy/sexual/predatory there. I wish the media would stop the still image and show the whole medal ceremony unfold as it gives such different context.

One test I use is "would he have done the same or similar if it was a man", and honestly..... I think he may well of. It's a grab and quick peck as if to say "yaaaaaaas" - nothing more and tbh nothing imo that unusual in the context of Latin men celebrating having won football.

He shouldn't have done it, and taking a step back and thinking outside of the emotion of the event, he probably regrets it. Calling this "me too" or "assault" is cheapening the meaning of these things. Context and intent really has to be looked at and considered. IMO all he is guilty of is misreading the room and two lanes missing each other a bit. 

I do think this has became a bit of a witch hunt. He apologised for it in the immediacy, but it's not enough for people.

The sad thing is..... It's overshadowed a great achievement.

I’m with you on this.

A genuine “I got carried away in the moment and I’m truly sorry” statement would have gone a long way to defuse things.

However the grabbing the crotch thing is just weird. :ang:

1 hour ago, G.E.C. said:

Spain's entire coaching staff from their World Cup win, except for head coach Jorge Vilda, have resigned over the Luis Rubiales row.

Was there not an issue before the World Cup where some of their best players didnt go because of the FA/manager?

On 26/08/2023 at 09:28, BoydsFavouriteDonut said:

Fucking weirdo. Why was he grabbing his balls in celebration of them scoring? Totally unsuited to his position and should be gone by now. Can’t believe they are taking his side over the players who just won the World Cup - it’s actually mental. 

To me that was fkn mental