Director of Football Thread

Broxi

9 hours ago, beararse said:

It’s not a promotion tho’ is it? He’s not being promoted ti Technical Director at Brighton.

He’s being headhunted by Rangers for a role he hasn’t held before.

He was Chief Scout at Swindon Town and the went from U21 recruitment manager to emerging talent scouting manager and finally head of recruitment at Brighton.

The fact Brighton have both Head of Recruitment and a Technical Director suggests they do different things.

A Football club’s Technical Director's responsibilities often include:

1. maximising football clubs' annual revenue

2. setting revenue targets for different operations, such as ticket or merchandise sales

3. negotiating annual player transfer and wage budgets with owners and first-team coaches

4. developing the club's playing style and coaching culture

5. recruiting players and managers whose football skills fit the club's sporting culture

6. negotiating in-bound and out-bound player transfers with other clubs

7. agreeing on shirt and stadium sponsorship deals with brands

8. setting up academies to develop young players

9. forming local or international scouting networks

10, managing relations with sport media

11. analysing commercial performance

12. fining players for breaches of contract

I reckon 8 of the 12 responsibilities (highlighted in bold) are unlikely to be part of a Head of Recruitment’s responsibilities.skill set.

Im not saying Jewell wouldn’t be a good appointment, I’m just curious as to why folk seem to think he’d be a good choice Technical Director based on the fact he’s been successful scouting and recruiting players.

Beale was generally considered an excellent coach but he was a fucking awful manager.

How many of the 8 were the responsibility of Wilson or Allen before him?

3 hours ago, Broxi said:

The point is for this type of role nobody knows one bit what the person has been doing on a daily basis or and how much success has been solely down to them. You have to assume the board will get references and do some research in circles where people do know. You’re the one who is more definitively saying it’s a bad move rather than everyone else saying it’s an amazing one. Most people are saying it’s an interesting link and nothing more. 

You can say you don’t want to hire someone less experienced and that’s fine, but your whole point has been that there is no logic or validity to young successful people moving up a position which just isn’t true. Simply say you don’t want that not that the entire logic isn't completely normal

I never said the logic in appointing him was wrong, nor did I say Jewell wouldn’t be good at the role, i originally asked why he’s been offered the job when he’s not had that role before then countered folk saying it was a promotion.
We tried that with a coach/inexperienced  manager in Beale who was promoted above his abilities (22 games and winless in the last 5 at QPR) and given the need for stability I’d have thought we would have sought someone who has had the role of Technical Director rather than someone who hasn’t. 

Only one person has came up with a reasonable answer as to why we want Jewell: that being ‘we can’t afford someone already in that role’.

Everybody else is just assuming he can make the transition because he’s excelled in another role within another organisation. Whilst there is an element logic to it (just as there was an element of logic in signing Lammers),in practical terms it feels like an unnecessary risk. 

it’s immaterial now anyway as it doesn’t look like he’s interested in the position but IMO we need an experienced Technical Director not a project one.

12 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

CF4 said:

Not like the club haven't denied something before only for it to actually be true.

mdingwall said:

They’d be extremely unwise to lie to me.

:lol: 

😂😂 Fucking hell.

Everyone's been pied off by the club at different times, stuff gets denied and turns out to be true. Genuinely, who the fuck does he think he is? 😂

13 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Mental how much he thinks he is relevant. When the day comes his obese walrus ass ends up packing in, the forum will shut down and no one will miss his photos of newspaper columns or give a single fuck. 

Mad that he sits and does that 😂 buying all of the papers and taking pictures of the stories and headlines about us.

It's 2023 and he's posting online to a digital platform...and thinks folk need photos of newspapers? 😂

24 minutes ago, beararse said:

I’d like to think they were but I have no idea what their exact responsibilities were. Not many on here will.

They'll have had absolutely zero to do with those responsibilities. There's a commercial director for that. The technical director will only be concerned with the football department and I'd be surprised if any technical director is dealing with commercial activities.

This is arguably more important than the managerial appointment.

Our recruitment process and overall transfer model has been a shambles for years and years now. They may not have done far better (Beale would’ve done shite regardless) but I wonder how many of our previous managers would’ve faired with a reliable scouting network and recruitment knowledge to fall back on.

There’s no doubt they’ve been consistently let down - that isn’t to say they don’t take some responsibility.

The right appointment here could seriously stabilise us.

11 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

This is arguably more important than the managerial appointment.

Our recruitment process and overall transfer model has been a shambles for years and years now. They may not have done far better (Beale would’ve done shite regardless) but I wonder how many of our previous managers would’ve faired with a reliable scouting network and recruitment knowledge to fall back on.

There’s no doubt they’ve been consistently let down - that isn’t to say they don’t take some responsibility.

The right appointment here could seriously stabilise us.

Every appointment is a 50/50 gamble imo. Surely we are due a few to actually work now ffs.

11 hours ago, Loyal72 said:

Mad that he sits and does that 😂 buying all of the papers and taking pictures of the stories and headlines about us.

It's 2023 and he's posting online to a digital platform...and thinks folk need photos of newspapers? 😂

He was asking for money for posting those newspaper headlines btw. 

Wouldn't be surprised if some of his sycophants were willing to donate either.