Davies, Yilmaz, Matondo, Cifuentes, Dessers and Lammers

Just now, Darth Bear said:

Which is what I originally said, that we are paying the same amount for players as we were over a decade and seem to think that we will be able to get the same kind of quality. The results say otherwise. 

I've said for the last couple of seasons that I think we should be concentrating more on adding a bit of quality rather than numbers and I would rather spend the budget on just a couple of players and trim the size of the squad to help with the wage bill. I still think that is the correct transfer policy going forward than wholesale swoping and changing every year.

For what sort of fee?

5 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Yeh tbf this is an ideal approach. But the 8-9 guys in the last few windows became a necessary gamble on the back of previously poor recruitment and squad management.

Ideally you build a young squad (a good few years younger than ours) that’s constantly improving.

You sell off the top 2 in demand assets and you go out and spend on 2-3 young quality players. And repeat.

We went for the approach of not selling anybody. (Which might have been justified for 55). And then after 55 spending no money and signing lots of players for a bloated squad. And then half arsing the self-imposed rebuild by not selling Morelos, Kent and Kamara to fund it.

The result is we’re basically fucked now. No sellable assets. No money in the tin. Not a young squad that’s going to improve.

And about 6-7 positions that need upgrades yet again if we’re to win the league next year 

I have no issue signing some older players to add some experience to the squad as long as we are not paying out a transfer fee. Or even getting a couple of players in on loans for positions where we need to improve as long as the actual transfers we pay for are decent players with sell on potential. 

If it means adding sell on clauses that we think is high on our signings then so be it. Did Jota not end up costing about £15M after he was sold? It would definitely piss you off if we had to hand over a large chunk of any profit on a player but it is still worth it. 

10 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

For what sort of fee?

We need to probably be looking at at least £5M per player. Instead of twice as many players for half the price in the hope that we might unearth a gem. I'm not saying that it is impossible to do that with players that cost £2-3M but it is more of a gamble than I would like.

I think Lafferty cost about the same as Danillo and he came into a more established team. 

Just now, Darth Bear said:

We need to probably be looking at at least £5M per player. Instead of twice as many players for half the price in the hope that we might unearth a gem. I'm not saying that it is impossible to do that with players that cost £2-3M but it is more of a gamble than I would like.

I think Lafferty cost about the same as Danillo and he came into a more established team. 

Agree to an extent but we need quantity as well due to the absolute fuck up the last 2 years has been. Shouldnt be the case and we should be adding quality.

Lafferty cost £3.5m and was absolute dogshit.

As poorly run a club of our stature as you will find in the UK, all of the board treating it like a hobby and no desire to be #1, taking us all for mugs with repeated new players that are just sub standard but costing millions. You could have saved that money and just bought the same quality, or even found frees, in Scotland that contribute the same as the duds listed that have cost upwards of £15m. So far from being acceptable and what a massive head fuck that is.

You'd only find us needing a rebuild the first window after a rebuild. 

4 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Agree to an extent but we need quantity as well due to the absolute fuck up the last 2 years has been. Shouldnt be the case and we should be adding quality.

Lafferty cost £3.5m and was absolute dogshit.

It's too easy to end up with a bloated squad again if we go for quantity. We have to use the youth to fill out the squad which would at least give them the chance to play and develop rather than sign more players in the hope they work out. As much as I want everything at once I know that is unlikely to happen and as frustrating as it is we still have to take our time and build our squad up.

Agreed on Lafferty. 

20 hours ago, kanjo said:

Davies -  Released Balogun and paid millions for him.  Got Balogun back on a free and the situation just now speaks for itself. 

Yilmaz -  Can see what they were trying to do but clearly not going to work for him. 

Matondo - As above.  Having his ‘redemption’ season purely because of how limited we are on width.  

Cifuentes and Dessers - I can again see what they were doing but the stats should have been enough to raise alarm bells.  Would we really have done worse keeping Arfield and signing say, Shankland?

Lammers - gave him the benefit of the doubt but the guy must surely now never be in for a shout of starting for us again. The worst player we’ve had since the days of Pedro and that is still arguable.

Total neglect for our club from top to bottom and it starts in the boardroom  

Beale ever want to figure out why he’s getting overlooked for jobs , he’ll soon realise once he reads above 

Thanks to Ross Wilson, GvB and Beale we have a bloated squad of utter mince.   The money spent on transfer fees, signing-on fees and wages is simply disgraceful.   God knows how we will get even half of them off the books and at what cost in terms of taking massive losses on fees and possibly having to either lump sum pay-offs or making up the wage differences.   

From the last two summer transfer windows, these are the players I'd want gone  ASAP:

Souttar   signing-on fee,   4 yr contract,  always injured, not very good.

Matondo   £2.7 m, 4 yr contract, weekly wage £18k to £28k, not very good.

Davies   £4 m, 4 yr contract, weekly wage £27k, not very good.

Yilmaz   £5.29 m, 5 yr contract, weekly wage £12k, not very good.

Dowell   Signing-on fee, 3 yr contract, weekly wage £16k, not very good.

Sterling   Signing-on fee,  4 yr contract, weekly wage £18k, not very good.

Lammers   £3.5 m, 4 yr contract, weekly wage £21.5k , utter mince.

Dessers  £4.3 m, 4 yr contract, weekly wage £20k, utter mince.

Cifuentes   £2.7 m, 4 yr contract, weekly wage £16k , utter mince.

We have the perma-injured Roofe and on-loan Sima both on big bucks. 

The whole situation is demoralising.

5 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

Thanks to Ross Wilson, GvB and Beale we have a bloated squad of utter mince.   The money spent on transfer fees, signing-on fees and wages is simply disgraceful.   God knows how we will get even half of them off the books and at what cost in terms of taking massive losses on fees and possibly having to either lump sum pay-offs or making up the wage differences.   

From the last two summer transfer windows, these are the players I'd want gone  ASAP:

Not having a go, it's a genuine question. Are those wage figures accurate? 

It’s difficult to overstate how diabolical the last two summer transfer windows have been.  With the odd exception (Butland), every signing we have made seems to have been a downgrade on the one they were bought to replace, who were already not deemed good enough.  It’s evident that we need another clear out but that’s the easy bit, it’s getting the right players in that’s the problem. 

3 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Some if not all those weekly wages would make you physically sick. What a complete and utter shambles.

4 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

One would imagine some on even more 

On 30/11/2023 at 23:08, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Is this a retorical question?

If not then, by employing am inexperienced manager without a proper DoF to guide him and letting him buy players without proper due diligence.

Paying the price now. Our squad is no stronger than last season.

100% this although you could also add ‘egotistical’ to ‘inexperienced manager’.

16 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Sterling’s on £18k a week?!!!!

19 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Where do you get the wage figures from?

2 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Whether the wage figures ere accurate or not, I don’t think there’s anybody who could look at our accounts and think the our wage bill provides value for money. We are spending a fortune on complete and utter garbage.

We spend £5.4m a month on wages and I’m willing to bet at least £3m of that is in the stands, treatment room, or already being looked to being moved on.