5 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

Only points of note imo:

• Ronaldo is finished, thanks for a great career. Harry will be along soon.
  • Turkey, Georgia, Albania all showing what smaller countries can do
  • Southgate has taken England as far as he can
  • Germany produced a superbly organised tournament 
  • Steve Clarke has to be sacked but won’t be.
  • Best team won in a victory for skill over effort.

Yamal is a footballing prodigy

5 hours ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

The first decision of the day was which channel to watch the final on. The BBC went for the much criticised blowhard staters-of-the-obvious team, Rio, Micah, Lineker and, for balance, Juan Mata, but I opted for ITV almost solely for Roy Keane.

It was an occasion that desperately needed a non-English perspective

:belm:

1. Don't Mata and Mendieta provide a "non-English perspective"?

2. Why does an England game need a non- English perspective? 

2 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

As explained earlier, in footballing terms, they are underdogs.

China has 1.4 billion but, in footballing terms in the context of a World Cup for example, they are small fry.

I wouldnt be comparing Turkey to China. Turkey is a massive country and they are football daft. They also have massive football clubs. They should definitely be doing better. 

19 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

I wouldnt be comparing Turkey to China. Turkey is a massive country and they are football daft. They also have massive football clubs. They should definitely be doing better. 

Not really the point I was making.

Someone took issue with me lumping Turkey in with Albania, Georgia etc as, in footballing terms, small countries.

23 hours ago, stevemac said:

It's sickening but I genuinely don't understand Rangers fans being anti English in tournament football. Scotland are shit and 95% of their fans hate Rangers, England is the Kings XI. Fair play if your not bothered for England to be successful or want them to win but to actively support any other team who they are playing baffles me

I don't agree with this. My dad used to go to all the Scotland games and he reckons that in the 60s and 70s our fans made up the majority of the crowd, He also says we used to boo the national anthem and sing our songs during the games btw

1 hour ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

I don't get the connection between being a Rangers fan and the English national team, unless you're English?

When I lived up there I didn’t want England to win any game. Over 30 years living down here has mellowed me to the point I don’t mind if they win.

Still can’t understand why they were ever considered favourites though. In the end I was glad Spain won, not because I’m anti England ,but because they were the outstanding footballing team throughout the tournament.

1 hour ago, Unbearable said:

I don't agree with this. My dad used to go to all the Scotland games and he reckons that in the 60s and 70s our fans made up the majority of the crowd, He also says we used to boo the national anthem and sing our songs during the games btw

Same with my dad however things have changed dramatically since then. Fuck the tranny army

1 hour ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

I don't get the connection between being a Rangers fan and the English national team, unless you're English?

Because Scotland hates itself to death and in recent times has been extremely anti rangers? 

7 hours ago, stevemac said:

Because Scotland hates itself to death and in recent times has been extremely anti Rangers? 

That's got nothing to do with supporting England. It only makes someone as petty as the tartan army fans that have a got at Rangers. They hate us so I'll support the team they hate. No ta.

Also, looking at that post of stevemac's I replied to, one of his reasons was "Scotland are shit". That's the worst justification for anything in football ever. If that applied across the board no-one would support smaller teams from their local towns. We'd have lost half our fans 10 years ago if a team being shit was reason enough to abandon them. I'll continue supporting scotland like my dad did. I don't care if 90% of the tartan army are fannies. I'm not them.

10 hours ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

I think a lot of people on here, myself included, couldn’t give a fuck about international football but just do it as a wind up more than anything. I was born and brought up in England and I couldn’t give a fuck about international football but it’s a good laugh to see the hatred spewing out of people 😂