Welcome To Rangers, Connor Barron.

32 minutes ago, LaaRFC said:

Was thinking that earlier. Think he’ll thrive against them 

The way jack and arfield used to look energetic against them, can see barron being the same, diomande as well, they just need another body in there with legs to press, Lawrence doesn't have it anymore but if we had someone to press mcgregor against them, half their build up falls apart as he crumbles under pressure 

I thought he had a great first-half. He won two or three one-on-one duals which allowed us to get on the front foot.

He’s been a positive light in an otherwise underwhelming pre-season and start to the season. Long may it continue.

He actually reminds me of Kevin Thomson; always available, can pick a pass and is incredibly combative. If he becomes half the player Thomson was between 2008 - 2011, we’ll be quids in.

6 minutes ago, Jimfanciesthedude said:

The way jack and arfield used to look energetic against them, can see barron being the same, diomande as well, they just need another body in there with legs to press, Lawrence doesn't have it anymore but if we had someone to press mcgregor against them, half their build up falls apart as he crumbles under pressure 

My ideal midfield 3 would be Barron, Sterling and Diomande. A good balance of legs, physicality and creativity 

I didn’t see today’s game so he may have been far better than he’s been previously, but it’s genuinely mental to me how much our support are overrating someone who runs about and gets in people’s faces.

He’s been one of our better players but it’s saying more about the dearth of quality than it is about Barron having great ability. 

6 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Really impressed. Just don't want to see him too often doing that Lundstram thing where he splits the CHs and ends up deeper than them with no-one ahead to pass to (cos he's the guy that should have been getting passed to).

Apparently one of Proppers strengths is his passing out of defence, so fingers crossed that means Barron doesn’t need to drop back and like you say he’ll be receiving the pass in the midfield 

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I didn’t see today’s game so he may have been far better than he’s been previously, but it’s genuinely mental to me how much our support are overrating someone who runs about and gets in people’s faces.

He’s been one of our better players but it’s saying more about the dearth of quality than it is about Barron having great ability. 

Mental take given how you rate Cantwell for doing hee haw in a Rangers jersey.

8 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

He sweeps up quite well in front of the defence. He looks to get the ball forward rather than sideways. He's got bite and tenacity about him. He doesn't hide or shirk from getting stuck in or a pass under pressure.

He's by no means the finished article, and he can't control a midfield and the possession and tempo like a Ferguson say. But he's also a freebie.

I'm impressed, bit still hope and expect us to bring in a more dominant and experienced holding midfielder. But if we don't go thro on Tues we likely won't.

There's Gattuso vibes about him for me. Don't think he can do much more than he has to show he deserves his starting jersey tbh.

16 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Mate he does far more than just running about getting in peoples faces fs lol 

2 hours ago, MisterC said:

My ideal midfield 3 would be Barron, Sterling and Diomande. A good balance of legs, physicality and creativity 

I'd prefer a goalscoring midfielder in place of one of them instead. Between the three you mentioned they got 4 goals between them last season. I think Lawrence will get goals but I'm not a huge fan as doesn't have the same engine as either of them so not sure how best to plug that goalscoring gap. 

49 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

but it’s genuinely mental to me how much our support are overrating someone who runs about and gets in people’s faces.

Given your support for cantwell you surely didnt post this with a fucking straight face

10 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Was just on to say something similar.

He’s been good in that he’s physical / in their faces, likes a slide tackle, and he is relatively comfortable taking the ball in tight areas and moving it on. He’s been fine so far. 

What’s apparent though is that we haven’t controlled a single game from preseason onwards with him and Dio in there. Desperately need a Davis type to run the show and dictate the game, and it’s either at his expense or Lawrence and move Dio one forward.

5 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

He’s been good in that he’s physical / in their faces, likes a slide tackle, and he is relatively comfortable taking the ball in tight areas and moving it on. He’s been fine so far. 

What’s apparent though is that we haven’t controlled a single game from preseason onwards with him and Dio in there. Desperately need a Davis type to run the show and dictate the game, and it’s either at his expense or Lawrence and move Dio one forward.

Why does Dio get a pass?

Guys done nothing for months now. Barron easily over him

9 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Why does Dio get a pass?

Guys done nothing for months now. Barron easily over him

Mostly because I really want Lawrence out the side, and he can play further forward. And we’ve chucked £4m at him so he’s not going anywhere.

22 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

It’s not that I don’t like him, he’s been decent enough.

Just not getting the raving about him for what has been really basic minimum you’d expect type play.

41 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

It’s not that I don’t like him, he’s been decent enough.

Just not getting the raving about him for what has been really basic minimum you’d expect type play.

Think you’re right. He’s been good but stands out because this current squad are so poor. He was Aberdeen’s 4th best player last season. 

I’n delighted we signed him because sadly he looks a level above half the team.

But shows how far we’ve regressed in a few season.