Clement Signs New Contract

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I'm ok with this. The club desperately needs some stability and for us to stay the course we are on.

I agree with this overall, but I will struggle to stay on board if our football doesn’t improve and we’re just dropping points all over the place. This league is full of utterly shite sides and our squad is still considerably better than most 

Im fine sacrificing this season for long term consistent success, it just has to look a certain way. There needs to be visible improvements 

2 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

More money

Aye defo from his side, meant more from our point of view. Suppose you can't blame the guy if he's going to be dealing with shite then he's asked for more money & job security 

End of the day though, it doesn't matter if its a 3/4 year deal, if things go really wrong he'll be hounded out the door, just with a bigger pay off now

I know timing is odd, but we really need continuity and backing.

If he is to build and be a constant, as long as we start to see the incremental improvements, this is a good move.

We can’t refresh everything every season, and he’s shown me enough over the last few managers that he’s the one to give the chance to build.

I quite like the board’s conviction.

I don’t like what we’ve seen in terms of the style of play - if it wins us the league no cunt will rightly care but if it’s shit plus not winning football surely not even Specky has the patience for that.

He has to show he can beat the fenians, at least at home as a minimum. Go another couple without beating them and we know what’s inevitable - no-one survives going OF after OF not being able to win.

17 minutes ago, Amato said:

I think this reinforces the feeling that we don't actually expect to win much this year. A transition year and extending Clement's contract is a show of faith in the manager that he's the long term solution, and a way of signalling to the support that there's no point calling for him to be sacked if/when we're trailing in the league this year.

It also means the compensation fee clubs have to pay to poach him is larger, which might be a deterrent (especially for international jobs). 

Ultimately, I think he’s here for at least this season and if this is a way of getting him more committed and signalling to the fan base we’re not changing in Autumn, then fair enough. The timing doesn’t seem to make much sense though, it’s the kind of thing we could’ve done in 2-3 months.

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I quite like the board’s conviction.

I don’t like what we’ve seen in terms of the style of play - if it wins us the league no cunt will rightly care but if it’s shit plus not winning football surely not even Specky has the patience for that.

He has to show he can beat the fenians, at least at home as a minimum. Go another couple without beating them and we know what’s inevitable - no-one survives going OF after OF not being able to win.

We we're unplayable his first 8-10 games. No one could get near us. Then we lost to the tims and the mental hoodoo they have over us kicked in and we played poorly. I think he's identified that and has begun to rectify it by getting rid of a lot of the old brigade. 

13 minutes ago, Marky. said:

I know timing is odd, but we really need continuity and backing.

If he is to build and be a constant, as long as we start to see the incremental improvements, this is a good move.

We can’t refresh everything every season, and he’s shown me enough over the last few managers that he’s the one to give the chance to build.

That spell up to March or so when it unfolded got enough confidence in Clement.

He got really unlucky with injuries which I believe hampered us.

However he needs the backing to build his own team and assistance in fixing the fragility of our team injuries wise (some of which are down to wild challenges in scotland which is a wider issue).

For sure bizarre timing for a contract renewal.

I’m behind the manager not the board. 

They’ve done this the day before the season to try and conjure some sort of goodwill because they know what we have on the park isn’t good enough and they are the ones that have caused us to be in this position. 

Back the manager, sack the board

1 minute ago, Gazzalivesforever said:

We we're unplayable his first 8-10 games. No one could get near us. Then we lost to the tims and the mental hoodoo they have over us kicked in and we played poorly. I think he's identified that and has begun to rectify it by getting rid of a lot of the old brigade. 

Mate anyone commenting on us tactically who even half knows what they’re talking about is pointing out huge flaws that have continued into the pre-season.

It’s not just about the mentality of certain players although to an extent that might have played a role.

Even rewatching back the first half of the cup final where he thought we played great, celtic were passing easily through lines and beating any press. 

Clement talks and carries himself extremely well but he absolutely has it all to prove. 

I don't think the timing is strange, we could be in for a rough few games before the window closes and hopefully get in bettet players and out some of those who are not goes enough.

I really like Phil and hope he can get us playing well and winning games.