Parking around Ibrox next season

King_gazza

Rangers fans could be hit with fines for parking near Ibrox Stadium on matchdays.

That’s after plans to mark 177 roads as no-go zones for parked vehicles were put forward.

If approved, restrictions on parking will be in force from three hours before kick-off to one hour after the final whistle.

Glasgow City Council bosses are keen to get supporters using public transport in a bid to alleviate travel congestion by next season.

Govan SNP councillor Stephen Dornan revealed he’s been campaigning for the restrictions for five years.

He said: “We are hoping that this will be in place for the new season starting.

“The benefit of this scheme is that it will restrict people from using cars and on occasions blocking driveways.

“There’s also a green element to this in that it might encourage fans, who would normally travel by car, to use public transport.

“I’ve not had anyone phoning me in opposition to this.”

Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council are also backing the plans which they say will let residents park outside their own homes again on matchdays.

Under the proposals, an event day parking zone will be in force alongside permanent restrictions on agreed emergency routes.

The event day parking zones will be open only to residents, who will be able to apply for permits.

Those areas will centre around Govan Road, Craigiehall Place, Cornwall Street and the M77.

Areas around Mosspark Boulevard, Crosslee Street, Ardneil Street and Harmony Row will also be affected.

Parking permits will also be needed for areas around Paisley Road West during Rangers games.

Glasgow City Council has not committed to helping improve public transport to Ibrox on matchdays.

The local authority claims reducing the volume of traffic would make it easier for buses to provide a “more efficient service”.

In its report into the proposals, the council said that the plans were designed to prevent supporters parking taking the “easy option” and parking in the areas surrounding the stadium.

A Glasgow City Council spokeswoman said: “We are well aware of the impact commuter parking is having on local residents during event days at Ibrox.

“These parking control proposals are to support events taking place at Ibrox and alleviate parking difficulties faced by local residents – and businesses – during event times.

“We have been engaging with local stakeholders and we’re now seeking the views of the wider public.”

Despite those worries about extra cars, there will not be event day parking restrictions when thousands of music fans head to Bellahouston Park for Glasgow Summer Sessions in August.

Last year Rangers fans’ group Club 1872 put the parking plans to its members, with 94.5 per cent voting to oppose the proposals.

In a letter to the council’s land and environmental services, the organisation said: “Many of our members have questioned whether the parking restrictions will simply push the problems they aim to resolve further afield.

“Displacement of the issues reported by local residents may affect residents outside the exclusion zone.”

Club 1872 also raised questions about how disabled fans would access the stadium. If approved, those fans would be allowed to park in the permit zone if they display their blue badge.

Similar plans are also being put forward for areas around Parkhead with Celtichaving stated previously that they had “serious concerns”.

Rangers were contacted for comment.

Just another way for GCC to scam people out of more money.

3 hours ago, VERITAS VOS LIBREBETS said:

'There is also a green element to this' You are fucking right if it is anything to do with Glasgow catholic Council.

What are the parking restrictions around the piggery?

On this one believe it it or not the same will apply though I have not looked at the detail.

49 minutes ago, sprintervanman said:

with more and more maniacs using cars/vans/trucks as a means to kill surely parked cars along roads makes it safer for 50,000 getting to and from the stadium. 

That's fine if there are suitable alternatives. I live in rural Fife and can drive to Ibrox in 45 minutes to an hour. Public transport is 2 hours each way. 

2 hours ago, King_gazza said:

Just another way for GCC to scam people out of more money.

Said as much few weeks back 

Absolutely no plans to do the same in Dennistoun and surrounding areas 

Feel free to park where you fucking want there on matchdays 

The GCC  or their complicit Traffic wardens scumbags  won't be working around those areas  

Most of them will be at the match nearby 

1 minute ago, j1mgg said:

They need to improve the public transport first, I am not sure where the nearest big car park is, but there are a lot of people who live outside of Glasgow and driving is a lot quicker than relying on a shoddy expensive public transport network.

1 hour ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Encourage you to use public transport he says, aye that'll be good getting hame from a mid week shot, load a pish, they just want to make it awkward and fuck us up the rhat bhastards !

This is scum led .100% 

Scamming good bears 

I live in the area and it's no any worse than Dennistoun 

Another rule being made for us and not for others 

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

This is scum led .100% 

Scamming good bears 

I live in the area and it's no any worse than Dennistoun 

Another rule being made for us and not for others 

You do know they are doing it at the brendanbau as well?

i will be lucky enough as I will get a pass for Work as it’s in the area marked. 

3 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

i will be lucky enough as I will get a pass for Work as it’s in the area marked. 

They are still discussing it apparently what their final outcome is,  you can bet they will get off lighter! 

10 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

I doubt that .I honestly do

It will be much more lax .Probably not at all 

Having lived there .I know what goes on there 

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

There’s materially more cars on the road now than 20 years ago. Don’t see that it’s hard to grasp.

20 years ago how many people drove to the football compared to now? Ibrox capacity hasn’t changed so I doubt the volume of football traffic has changed much. Don’t see that it’s hard to grasp. Also, what are the council doing to reduce traffic congestion any other time cause the roads about Glasgow are fucked every day? 

Traveling from outside Glasgow we really only have the cars as an option.  Where can we legally park going forward? We normally park on the far side of the M8 opposite the park in amongst the houses there have done for years.  Given we undertake a 120 mile trip each way car is the only real option.  Quite happy to pay to park or even a park and ride.