D - Day A tribute to Heroes.

Just now, Thermopylae said:

And they all just got on with it back in those days no psychologists or shrinks couches

I went over to Normandy about 15 years ago and done a lot of the tours. Just an incredible place. Can only imagine what it was like on D-Day. One of my great uncles landed and was killed a few days later. The war cemeteries are just unreal. The big American one in particular is just something else. 

Just now, Inigo said:

My old gramps did exactly that on D-Day. As he flew back from bombing the Merville-Franceville battery he saw the armada on it's way from his turret.

His log book entry from that day...

20190605_174551.thumb.jpg.c10763d476dab3a531e4459807f5ad10.jpg20190605_174536.thumb.jpg.2cece0b14e19007e0cc672a1caebcf51.jpg

I've wandered around that very battery and stood in bomb craters quite possibly caused by your granda

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I've wandered around that very battery and stood in bomb craters quite possibly caused by your granda

The easy time, as he called it. Virtually no opposition in comparison with his earlier service. It was the boys in the sea he felt for that day. He had an easy D-Day (it's all relative obv).

I've never been. Will go some day.

Just now, Inigo said:

The easy time, as he called it. Virtually no opposition in comparison with his earlier service. It was the boys in the sea he felt for at that time. He had an easy D-Day (it's all relative obv).

I've never been. Will go some day.

It's incredible. We stayed just next to the battery at Cabourg (iirc). I'm a bit obsessed with D-Day. The entire operation just blows me away and I'd tell absolutely anyone that you need to go. I was only 17 and went with the cadets but want to go again as a proper adult and with a bit more freedom to go off exploring on my own. Wandering about these quaint wee villages that still have AA guns in position, bullet-scarred buildings and massive half-destroyed bunkers on the beach is an incredible sight to see. What really blew me away was that we went to all five beaches and me and a couple of mates all tried to run from the waterline up to somewhere we could be reasonably protected. We were all fit 17-year-olds and were fucked. And that was without carrying gear and doing it in trainers and shorts. And without nazis trying to kill us. How any soldier managed it is beyond me.

3 minutes ago, 2nd Flute said:

Just watched that on the news mate, amazing 

the first thing the old gentleman dd after landing was to put on his Parachute Reg. beret 

HM The Queen was specifically magnificent today especially when she spoke about the "resilient generation - her generation."  - GTSQ

Felt rather humbled watching that today. 

3 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

the first thing the old gentleman dd after landing was to put on his Parachute Reg. beret 

HM The Queen was specifically magnificent today especially when she spoke about the "resilient generation - her generation."  - GTSQ

Felt rather humbled watching that today. 

Same mate.

5 hours ago, Lets go 55 said:

Don't know if this should be in here, watching this just now brings a lump to the throat .If it wasn't for these brave men and women and the ones who paid the ultimate sacrifice where would be now.

Agreed.

The stories they were telling and the humble pride they had in being there today was really emotional for me.

The event itself was awesome, HM standing to applaud the old soldier who told his story......I seemed to get something in my eye...

Oh and well done the Royal British legion for looking after them and laying on the boat etc - amazing job