Mervan Celik signs for Rangers

The Monk

Everything I've seen about him suggests he is a wide player (left footed - another left midfield?!?!) but hopefully he is versatile enough to play through the middle as well as one position we don't need extra players is out wide. I must be honest, I was quite shocked that we had signed another one but hopefully he will be decent enough. If os, we'll need to offload some of these wide players we have (McKay, Kerkar, Bedoya, Ortiz, Aluko plus we've played Wallace and Papac on the left side of midfield)

The way Mccoist was talking today on the radio is that hel be played more threw the middle but also could be played wide if needed

I just hope McCoist doesn't look back at the end of the season and regret that he through him in at the deep end.

MERVAN CELIK signed for Rangers yesterday and spelled out his dream to make it big at Ibrox.

But his surname WON'T be on the back of his new No24 shirt.

Instead, he'll simply have 'Mervan' emblazoned on it.

Out-of-contract Swedish Under-21 midfielder Celik penned a three-and-a-half-year deal in a move which will see club GAIS bank a £250,000 development fee.

Gers insist his name is pronounced CHELIK.

Celtic signed Brazilian dud Rafael Scheidt in 1999 and went with Rafael for his jersey. And Honduran ace Izaguirre opted for Emilio when he signed in 2010.

It's not the first time a Gers player has had his first name on his shirt as Spaniard Aaron Niguez did it in 2008.

Celik, 21, took the number once belonging to Madjid Bougherra and said:

"I am very happy now I have made it to Glasgow.

"I was here last month and the club showed me everything and I liked the set-up. So it is good to have the deal agreed. Now I am very hungry to be involved."

Gers have yet to receive international clearance for Celik and that rules him out of a home debut against Aberdeen today. However he should be available to face Hibs next Saturday.

McCoist said: "I hope he excites the supporters.

"He's the type the fans will like. He's very, very positive. He goes to take people on and he gets on the end of things and he's very direct."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4076164/Dont-call-me-Celik.html#ixzz1k33lTRGF

Just watched that video of his goals this season

To me he looks like a very intelligent and instinctive player who has the much needed skill of being in the right place at the right time. I think he will create and score well in the spl.

I get the Rooney comparison from his agent or former coach whoever it was said it. Rooney is always in the perfect position to either set up an attack or finish one.

Really think this will turn out a great signing and his potential resale value will be quite significant.

Good work by the management, scouts and owners getting this done and without much press coverage until the final stages.