Glen Gibbons in the Scotsman lampooning Ally McCoist

nvager

There's a case to complain to the press commission here, that or Ally should sue the rhat for defamation. Ally alluded to the simple fact that our team bus was attacked because it was the Rangers team bus, anyone thinking it was the Scum support is purely down to our own thoughts.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bit that shows how badly written and how biased is the leap between appalled and implied that fans from another team had done it! That's a leap !

as i recall, Scottish media were implying that the coach burning incident was deliberate. Is Ally being lampooned for in some way believing what Scottish media had reported? Sick of these pointless farts.

Glenn Gibbons had an article published in the Scotsman last week in which he opined that Neil Lennon 'must learn to be gracious in victory'. Suggests to me this is little more than evening things up.

Planned in advance more like. Prick, {Journo} that is

Okay, let's go through this.

Ally McCoist’s claim to have as formidable a squad of players as any club in the country outside champions Celtic would do nothing to dispel the impression that his tongue these days is quicker than his wits.

The words had hardly left the manager’s lips when his side were beaten 3-1 at home in a closed-doors friendly by Hibernian, who could not reasonably be described as the galacticos of the SPFL’s Premiership.

Haven't most observers stated that we have the most second best squad in the country, currently? They were saying similar for most of last season, and we've strengthened over the summer. A 3-1 defeat in a bounce game hardly contradicts that.

The former striker’s readiness with the impulsive, unconsidered response may be rooted in his history as a media-friendly figure. He has, after all, been what is known these days as the go-to personality for the telling quote for as long as anyone (including himself) can remember. It is possible that McCoist has become so practised in the art of filling space that he cannot break the habit.

Even so, he has been steadily compiling what might be called a portfolio of outbursts, some of them grossly ill-advised and even dangerous. McCoist’s errant views began at Dunfermline two years ago when, without having seen the incident, he insisted that Steven Naismith could not be guilty of elbowing Austin McCann because “he’s not that type of lad”. Naismith, of course, was caught on camera and suspended.

A manager defends his player. Shocking. In any case, Steven Naismith wouldn't be the first person in the world to do something out of character. Oh, and here's a quote from a contemporary Daily Mail artice: "'I spoke to Naisy about it and he said the lad didn’t make anything of it and that he was just trying to brush him aside,’ said McCoist. ‘But I’d be better qualified to speak about it after I’ve seen it".

There followed the infamous “we want to know who these people are” demand in the wake of the review panel who sat to consider Rangers’ rules breaches in the wake of their entering administration.

We've all been over this as well, Glenn. Clear and transparent, remember? Actually, from the same Daily Mail piece as above: "Currently, the SFA are operating with an interim Compliance Officer, whose name is being kept under wraps. The absence of transparency about that key figure is a situation that jars with McCoist". This was pre-admin, so the SFA's procedures are clearly something Ally's felt concern about for some time.

A similar noise was made over the question of being fined for their indiscretions while Hearts and Dunfermline were not. On both occasions, the SFA revealed that McCoist (and, in the latter case, his chief executive, Craig Mather) already knew the answers.

Yes, it's called political posturing. Why else would he ask the question if he already knew the answer? I suspect you already know the answer.

Perhaps most seriously of all, McCoist declared himself “appalled” by the arson attack on the bus depot which housed Rangers’ new luxury coach, clearly implying that it had been carried out by rival football fans. The subsequent police investigation disclosed that the crime was not related to football.

Did it? I must have missed the completion of the subsequent police investigation. Nothing shows up in Google later than the few days after the incident, where the police stated that they were "not linking this incident to any particular bus", and that they were "still in the early stages of our investigation.”. There's a subtle semantic difference there between 'not ruling anything out at this stage' and 'we have ruled that out'. But I suspect you know that.

If these previous retorts are a measure of his judgment, there is unlikely to be a stampede of punters desperate to plunge on Rangers for the only “major” left to them, the Scottish Cup.

Yeah, well, if this piece is a measure of your journalistic ability, it's a good thing I don't read newspapers.

Okay, let's go through this.

Haven't most observers stated that we have the most second best squad in the country, currently? They were saying similar for most of last season, and we've strengthened over the summer. A 3-1 defeat in a bounce game hardly contradicts that.

A manager defends his player. Shocking. In any case, Steven Naismith wouldn't be the first person in the world to do something out of character. Oh, and here's a quote from a contemporary Daily Mail artice: "'I spoke to Naisy about it and he said the lad didn’t make anything of it and that he was just trying to brush him aside,’ said McCoist. ‘But I’d be better qualified to speak about it after I’ve seen it".

We've all been over this as well, Glenn. Clear and transparent, remember? Actually, from the same Daily Mail piece as above: "Currently, the SFA are operating with an interim Compliance Officer, whose name is being kept under wraps. The absence of transparency about that key figure is a situation that jars with McCoist". This was pre-admin, so the SFA's procedures are clearly something Ally's felt concern about for some time.

Yes, it's called political posturing. Why else would he ask the question if he already knew the answer? I suspect you already know the answer.

Did it? I must have missed the completion of the subsequent police investigation. Nothing shows up in Google later than the few days after the incident, where the police stated that they were "not linking this incident to any particular bus", and that they were "still in the early stages of our investigation.”. There's a subtle semantic difference there between 'not ruling anything out at this stage' and 'we have ruled that out'. But I suspect you know that.

Yeah, well, if this piece is a measure of your journalistic ability, it's a good thing I don't read newspapers.

Excellent breakdown of this cretins work mate!

"Perhaps most seriously of all, McCoist declared himself “appalled” by the arson attack on the bus depot which housed Rangers’ new luxury coach, clearly implying that it had been carried out by rival football fans."

That bit is absolutely staggering. How on earth does being appalled about an arson attack imply that he thought it was carried out by rival football fans? A disgusting and wholly inaccurate statement

His article is written based on highly selective and out of context quotes. Trawling back 2 years to find suitable "quotes" to support his opinion smacks of desperation. It's obviously personal and he has been simmering for a while.

If I could be bothered to research it, I bet it wouldn't take long to come up with a list of random quotes from another teams football manager that with the benefits of hindsight don't stand up to scrutiny.

With this article he has let himself down in terms of so called journalism standards and proven himself to be a bit of a petty arsehole. The Scotsman is reportedly haemorrhaging readership, I wonder why?

Perhaps most seriously of all, McCoist declared himself “appalled” by the arson attack on the bus depot which housed Rangers’ new luxury coach, clearly implying that it had been carried out by rival football fans. The subsequent police investigation disclosed that the crime was not related to football.

How the fuck did he come to that conclusion? Is Ally not allowed to be appalled by an arson attack?

Talk about putting 2 + 2 together and getting 5!

What bits?

The Hibs result albeit bounce game

Media portrayal friendly

Using sound bytes to fill dead air - see Forfar comments

But that said I agree the article is a shocker and nothing more than a personal attack on the man

I understand Rangers fans sometimes getting frustrated with him but why should any non Rangers fan or neutral? He's a nice guy with time for everyone and doesn't hide

You'd have thought that was a media or journos wet dream rather than getting tore into him

A low quality piece of journalism by a writer who is hardly a household name. Expect more and more of this as we progress through the leagues. Remember "they" are always one step away from disaster while we are away, maybe their worried that their £100m master plan might be coming of the rails.

Sliced the cretin to ribbons mate. I remember the incident well it still makes me angry that and the Miller and Shagger incidents, know I am totally biased and always see things through blue tinted glasses, incidents like this go unpunished every week, the tv coverage seems to pick on these things and play them to death if Rangers are involved.