Fans in Barcelona 72?

The fans thought the game was over but the ref had onlay blown for a free kick.A lot of the support was on the park when the police came on.As the support left the field the fascists started knocking hell out of a big guy that had fell.It was that action that caused the fans to take on the police.As far as i remember the only journalist that printed the true facts was Doug Baillie of the Sunday Post.The local Spaniards thought the Rangers Fans were great as they had given "Francos Dogs"a good going over.I was there with my family and some mates we had a ball after the game.

I was in Barcelona 72 and can honestly say this is the first time I have heard this view put forward.

The way I saw it was that we were hanging on to a one goal lead with time running out.

Remember at that time no boards telling you of added time were shown. During the closing minutes,every time the ref blew his whistle,our fans took it as full time. This happened on several occasions and they ran on to the pitch to celebrate. The police were not shy to use force to clear the pitch and naturaly this was matched by our fans. It resulted in a blood bath.

I will always remember the scenes at the airport where planes to glasgow were being filled regardless of bookings or tickets. They could not get rid of us fast enough. On our flight home one fan had to sit with the pilot for take off as the plane was overcrowded. Think about that in todays world

As one who was there I never quite seen ourselves as a liberating army nor did the big plate glass windows around the outside of the stadium with a good few of having being tanned. I do recall I and many other (with the help of the Police)had cheated our club out of one of their finest moment with the cup having to be presented behind closed doors in the team dressing room instead of the show piece it should have been

As one who was there I concur with Covenanters take on things. Indeed the beating of the Rangers support wasn't a spur-of-the-moment thing as we found out on the Ramblas the following morning as groups of Franco's baton-wielding Fascists systematically clouted every Rangers fan they happened onto.

The Spanish (Catalan) people were fantastic - Franco's thugs were utter bastards.

As one who was there I concur with Covenanters take on things. Indeed the beating of the Rangers support wasn't a spur-of-the-moment thing as we found out on the Ramblas the following morning as groups of Franco's baton-wielding Fascists systematically clouted every Rangers fan they happened onto.

The Spanish (Catalan) people were fantastic - Franco's thugs were utter bastards.

Must have been your finest game attended CB.

Must have been your finest game attended CB.

I was sober for the 90-minutes (at least) and when looking back at those times I feel lucky to have been there.

We had a great squad of players (all Scots lads - legends all) and the support were second to none.

Nowadays I'm just hoping we 'sneak' a Ramsden Cup final place.

How things have changed, eh?

I was sober for the 90-minutes (at least) and when looking back at those times I feel lucky to have been there.

We had a great squad of players (all Scots lads - legends all) and the support were second to none.

Nowadays I'm just hoping we 'sneak' a Ramsden Cup final place.

How things have changed, eh?

Yeah, it sinks in more at CL nights than anytime else.

Thanks for the input lads. Would be great if someone wrote an article on these events, especially the way the Catalans interpreted it, for the younger generation of supporters so that they don't have to continuously swallow the piss 'narrative of shame' that seems to be attached to these events and often used as a tool to tar us with.

It was a long time ago but my memory says that the Referee blew for a foul with minutes to go. The fans thought it was time up and came running on to the Park to celebrate. Franco's Guardia baton charged them and the Bears retreated to the Stands but while there broke up the wooden seats as weapons. Come the final whistle we were on the Park again and Franco's Guardia charged with batons and dogs. This time the Bears had their own batons and completely fucked the Guardia. I think newspaper reports at the time said 200 required hospital treatment. I think also it was reported that a few of the fans had let us down by paint spraying FTP on some of their Cathedrals.

It was a long time ago but my memory says that the Referee blew for a foul with minutes to go. The fans thought it was time up and came running on to the Park to celebrate. Franco's Guardia baton charged them and the Bears retreated to the Stands but while there broke up the wooden seats as weapons. Come the final whistle we were on the Park again and Franco's Guardia charged with batons and dogs. This time the Bears had their own batons and completely fucked the Guardia. I think newspaper reports at the time said 200 required hospital treatment. I think also it was reported that a few of the fans had let us down by paint spraying FTP on some of their Cathedrals.

Was going to say im sure my Dad told me many years ago that we attacked the Pineapples. Surprised not to read about it until your post.

As one who was there I never quite seen ourselves as a liberating army nor did the big plate glass windows around the outside of the stadium with a good few of having being tanned. I do recall I and many other (with the help of the Police)had cheated our club out of one of their finest moment with the cup having to be presented behind closed doors in the team dressing room instead of the show piece it should have been

That's a strange take on events. Nobody said anything about a Liberating Army or anything like it. Strangely snide comment to make.

As for it being presented behind closed doors, from all other accounts I've ever heard that was the responsibility of The Guardia Civil, who instigated the problems that caused the behind closed doors presentation.

I don't doubt there were some Rangers fans let themselves down, but I think in this instance, seeing the picture overall, the Rangers fans were the victims.

That's a strange take on events. Nobody said anything about a Liberating Army or anything like it. Strangely snide comment to make.

As for it being presented behind closed doors, from all other accounts I've ever heard that was the responsibility of The Guardia Civil, who instigated the problems that caused the behind closed doors presentation.

I don't doubt there were some Rangers fans let themselves down, but I think in this instance, seeing the picture overall, the Rangers fans were the victims.

There was no nastiness up until the final whistle, a few fans were running onto the pitch while the Russians were limbering up and shooting the ball into the net, it was all in good fun, ok they shouldn't have been doing it. All the trouble started after the final whistle and yes the tv monitors in the press area got panned in along with most of the massive glass doors, but you have to appreciate it was bedlam, battles everywhere.

There was no nastiness up until the final whistle, a few fans were running onto the pitch while the Russians were limbering up and shooting the ball into the net, it was all in good fun, ok they shouldn't have been doing it. All the trouble started after the final whistle and yes the tv monitors in the press area got panned in along with most of the massive glass doors, but you have to appreciate it was bedlam, battles everywhere.

Absolutely. Largely caused by the actions of The Guardia Civil (or so I'm told).

Not true. The pitch invasion near the end of the game was not met with a baton charge. The fans left the pitch when they realised the game hadn't finished. The police baton charged a good couple of minutes after the final whistle and after hundreds had reached the main stand side. There was no immediate attack by the police at that time. Someone clearly gave a command as soon as the TV coverage was stopped. The fans initially retreated but when they saw the police beating people lying on the ground the fans then charged back across the park. My recollection is still pretty clear on that score. As for spray painting cathedrals or whatever, that is a myth.

And now were scared of Smoke Bombs and Flares.

Not true. The pitch invasion near the end of the game was not met with a baton charge. The fans left the pitch when they realised the game hadn't finished. The police baton charged a good couple of minutes after the final whistle and after hundreds had reached the main stand side. There was no immediate attack by the police at that time. Someone clearly gave a command as soon as the TV coverage was stopped. The fans initially retreated but when they saw the police beating people lying on the ground the fans then charged back across the park. My recollection is still pretty clear on that score. As for spray painting cathedrals or whatever, that is a myth.

Twas there and what you describe is as I recall. As Jock Wallace said "the Spanish police did what was natural to them and charged. Rangers fans did what was natural to them and charged back".

The comments reference the Barca cathedral.

I had never heard any commentary on the cathedral in any of the many years after the final until 15 years or so ago. When Cosgrove was awarded the status of Daily Record columnist, one of his first pieces(it may have been his first) set a marker on how he viewed the Rangers support. He recalled Barca'72, Villa'76, and Old Trafford'74. He included a couple of lines about Rangers supporters wrecking the cathedral in Barcelona.

I suspect that piece of deliberate misinformation has been eagerly grasped by the usual suspects and is part of the story.

I had never heard any commentary on the cathedral in any of the many years after the final until 15 years or so ago. When Cosgrove was awarded the status of Daily Record columnist, one of his first pieces(it may have been his first) set a marker on how he viewed the Rangers support. He recalled Barca'72, Villa'76, and Old Trafford'74. He included a couple of lines about Rangers supporters wrecking the cathedral in Barcelona.

I suspect that piece of deliberate misinformation has been eagerly grasped by the usual suspects and is part of the story.

Seems about right.

As most of the Bears would no doubt have been drinking on the Ramblas they would have had to have gone out their way to find the cathedral. Or maybe it was Gaudi's Sagrada Familia they managed to find. If it was they must have done a hell of a job because it's still being worked on yet.

And how much foresight does it take to include a can of spray paint in your luggage when travelling to a Europpean football final?

Venturing a bit off topic,but regards the other mob,i have heard some conflcting storys about events in Seville,from people who were there.Fighting amongst themselves and causing drink induced mayhem.Funny how none of this was reported at the time,but surprise,surprise.Jim Delahunt is one of the few that tells it as it is.I recall him having an argument with ra Sellik supporter over this issue.

Like others, had never really heard much about the events at the end of the game (other than being aware fans were on the pitch and the presentation was done in the changing room). Thanks for all the 1st hand recollections.