RIP Phillip Hughes

RangersMedia

RIP,

Just had a discussion with a lawyer friend of mine who reckons that, should they wish to, the state or the family could mount a prosecution for manslaughter or murder against Abbott.

Abbott, bowled the bouncer with the sole intention of trying to hit Hughes, he did so, and Hughes was killed. That is pre-meditated, and my mate's point is, that if you had done that in the street, you would definitely be, at least, charged.

I'm not sure of any other sport, boxing excepted, where you are allowed/encouraged to try and injure an opponent.

Absolute bullshit.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sole intention of a bouncer isn't trying to injure the opponent, it's to force them to play a risky shot. That lawsuit would destroy cricket.

(tu) Also, there is the desire to unnerve the batsman and to keep him guessing - stop him lunging forwards onto the front foot every ball.That lawsuit would be thrown out way before trial, imo.

RIP,

Just had a discussion with a lawyer friend of mine who reckons that, should they wish to, the state or the family could mount a prosecution for manslaughter or murder against Abbott.

Abbott, bowled the bouncer with the sole intention of trying to hit Hughes, he did so, and Hughes was killed. That is pre-meditated, and my mate's point is, that if you had done that in the street, you would definitely be, at least, charged.

I'm not sure of any other sport, boxing excepted, where you are allowed/encouraged to try and injure an opponent.

I would imagine that's the last thing Hughes's family would want to do.

RIP,

You're at it

RIP. Terrible news. Thoughts with the family and I feel for the bowler and hope he can get over this and that it doesn't affect his career.

Lawsuit? No chance.

Lawsuit? Fuck off.

The poor lad is in pieces. Psychologically, I don't think there's any way back for Abbott. Every ball he bowls he'll be thinking about this incident. A shame, IMO the cricketing world has lost 2 very talented young players.

I'm glad we chose to postpone our day's play v New Zealand even although we are in the ascendency and it might disrupt our rhythm. We owe it to Phil Hughes and his family.

RIP,

Don't think there will be any appetite for that at all.

Completely freak injury. Just bad luck unfortunately. Perhaps we'll see a slight helmet redesign and a reduction in bouncers for a while but other than that I think people have to just accept that sport carries risks and accidents happen.

Lawsuit? Fuck off.

The poor lad is in pieces. Psychologically, I don't think there's any way back for Abbott. Every ball he bowls he'll be thinking about this incident. A shame, IMO the cricketing world has lost 2 very talented young players.

I'm glad we chose to postpone our day's play v New Zealand even although we are in the ascendency and it might disrupt our rhythm. We owe it to Phil Hughes and his family.

Kind of echoes the situation with poor Sam English who was involved in the accident when John Thomson died,I think English was left pretty much a broken man after the incident and sadly similarly I think Abbott's life like English's will never be the same again.

Kind of echoes the situation with poor Sam English who was involved in the accident when John Thomson died,I think English was left pretty much a broken man after the incident and sadly similarly I think Abbott's life like English's will never be the same again.

Aye, did we not handle the Sam English incident like shitebags? Sure I heard the club basically pushed him towards the door after it happened, instead of protecting him

RIP,

UFC,any sort of martial arts ,baseball,american football,rugby,Aussie rules football

RIP,

You and the lawyer obviously haven't the first clue about the game of cricket and even less about the way the cricket community have reacted. The intention of a bouncer is to tempt the batsman into the hook shot and hope he mis times the shot and gets a top edge or the ball lands in the hands of the deep square leg.

Thankfully the overwhelming majority understand the concept of tragic accident. I suggest you tell your lawyer friend to go chase another ambulance. To even contemplate taking action against Sean Abbott is abhorrent.

Aye he was pretty much hounded out of the Scottish game with chants and jeers from fans. I don't think his career ever recovered and he retired in his 20s.