Angela Haggerty sacked from Herald

Lidl

5 minutes ago, the goal machine said:

Imagine being surprised at losing your job when you back someone against your employer :lol:

Its like your boss making an announcement to the public then you coming out and telling everybody hes talking shite.

Naivety and stupidity caused her to hang herself

Just now, ThatNightInFlorence said:

I see Ruth Davidson, leader of the Scottish conservatives is backing her.

Anyone thinking about voting Tory in May keep that in mind. 

And Angus Robertson of the SNP,both of them former journos as well as being politicians so the concept of the truth isn't one that they easily understand.

5 minutes ago, ThatNightInFlorence said:

I quite liked her as well.

I take it's Labour all the way then? Just as long as it's not the yellow period who seriously need buried!

11 minutes ago, ThatNightInFlorence said:

Like others I presume she is ignorant of her history, she'll just see her as a poor female journo being picked upon.

From the Provo loving Greenslade:

Two columnists have lost their jobs at the Herald newspapers in Glasgow following complaints from Rangers football club.

Graham Spiers, an award-winning sports writer, departed after threats of legal action over one of his Herald columns.

And Angela Haggerty, who supported Spiers on Twitter, was relieved of her Sunday Herald column.

The Herald’s editor-in-chief, Magnus Llewellin, is said to be downcast at the turn of events in what a colleague called “a toxic atmosphere.”

The saga began on 28 December when Spiers wrote a column headlined “Rangers must uphold progress by resisting return of the old songs” (now taken down from the paper’s site).

He began by praising Rangers for having “made considerable strides to eradicate bigotry around the club”, with “dodgy songs” having been “put on the back burner.”

He pointed out that one particular anti-Catholic anthem, The Billy Boys, had been “put on mute.” But there were “occasional public eruptions of it” and one occurred during a Rangers-Hibernian match on Boxing Day.

Spiers, a four-time winner of Scotland’s sports journalist of the year award, then made an allegation about a member of the Rangers board.

That prompted a legal complaint to the Herald from Rangers, which culminated in an apology, published by the Herald on Wednesday (27 January):

“In a recent column for heraldscotland, Graham Spiers said an un-named Rangers director had praised the song The Billy Boys.

He also questioned the willingness of Rangers directors to tackle offensive behaviour, and The Herald and Graham Spiers accept this was inaccurate.

We acknowledge every member of the Rangers board is fully committed to fighting bigotry and offensive chanting, wherever it occurs in Scottish football, and that the club is actively tackling the issue.

We apologise for any embarrassment that may have been caused to the members of the Rangers board.”

Spiers hit back with a piece, also published online on Wednesday, in which he told of “severe” pressure on the Herald.

He wrote: “Having searched many avenues to reach an agreement with the club, the newspaper ultimately denied my request to withhold any clarification/apology until my own position was clearer.”

He went on to say he retained the highest regard for Magnus Llewellin, “who has tried to resolve this problem.”

Spiers, who also writes for the Times and works for the BBC, told me by email that he had “no illusions” that in issuing his statement he was “putting a pile of Semtex under a bridge between me and the Herald.”

He added: “I didn’t have the temerity to even think about filing my usual weekly column to the paper yesterday... I do have some sympathy for the Herald. The paper, for complex reasons, became embroiled in a very difficult situation.”

Llewellin has come in for widespread criticism since running the apology. The National Union of Journalists issued a statement condemning the fact that the columns have been pulled.

Among the critics also was a former Herald political correspondent and leader writer, Robbie Dinwoodie, who wrote a blog item about the matter. After spending 28 years at the paper, he took redundancy four months ago.

He was also upset by Haggerty’s departure. Following Spiers’s article on Rangers she wrote a tweet in which she complained about Rangers’ bigotry.

She maintains that she was referring to fans, but the Herald considered this to be a reference to Rangers’ directors.

Llewellin felt that it compromised the newspaper and Haggerty, a freelance contributor who edits the news website Common Space, was told that her column would no longer be required.

In her most recent column, she told of editing a book about Rangers’ financial collapse in 2012 that “led to a nearly four-year long sustained campaign of abuse” by Rangers’ fans.

Questions about this issue have been emailed to Rangers’ press office. At the time of writing there has not been a reply.

Earlier this month, a BBC sports writer, Chris McLaughlin, was told he was no longer be welcome at the Rangers ground because of objections to his reporting. The BBC retaliated by announcing a boycott of Rangers’ games at Ibrox.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/jan/29/two-columnists-depart-from-glasgow-herald-in-row-with-rangers

As for Spiers use of Semtex...

Spiers, who also writes for the Times and works for the BBC, told me by email that he had “no illusions” that in issuing his statement he was “putting a pile of Semtex under a bridge between me and the Herald.”

Fucking cretinous individual.

5 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

Wings over Scotland now issued a statement 

:lol:

If you played obsessed bingo with it you would have a full house within minutes 

"new three year old club"

"sectarian club" 

"no catholic signing policy"

Where the fuck do you even start with that:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/spears-of-sport/#more-81205

No Surrender is now Sectarian:

The group alleging the advertising blackmail advertises itself as 'DEFENDING OUR TRADITIONS' and 'our people, our culture, our way of life', concluding on the sectarian exhortation 'No Surrender!'

:lol::lol: