Ian Durrant leaves club

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In over 40 years of watching us, Iain Durrant is without doubt the finest player we have produced imo.

Too many great memories to mention but his goal against Celtic at Ibrox in 86 sums him up best. Perfectly timed run and touch before a calm finish past the keeper. (Pass from Coops wasn't bad either).

We'll never know how good he could have been but safe to say he could have played for any top team and not looked out of place.

From a personal point of view i hope he goes abroad to continue his coaching career, which would give him a different perspective  re- tactics, lifestyle, expectations etc.

I wish him well and will always remember the skinny kid with the big mop of hair i seen at Cappielow in 85 and thinking he'll never survive in this league. How wrong i was.

Man, the memories in that dynamite vid...

A dynamic and skilful player before the injury, a skilful player with footballing intelligence after it.

Legend.

3 hours ago, Bears r us said:

Who knows how good a player he could have been but for his hellish injury :(

Wish him all the best in the future. :541:

Indeed. Would have been quite something, given that he still managed to be tremendous after it.

Great mhank slayer too.

Great player in his era,Its sad to see him go, Sometimes we just need to accept great players wont make the grade as manager or coach at any top club,Sure he will get a job in future working in football.

I still dream of Laudrup teaching the kids his skills, What a team that would be if it worked out :)

It was his choice - I posted in Jan when I was over in Valencia with the U20s he told us he was leaving he said he wants to spend time with the family - Miller was meant to take the job but he hit form after that and got a deserved extension 

wish him all the best - great player, decent guy but not a very good coach/manager - I think that's fair - all the best Ian 

2 hours ago, Taipan said:

His runs from deep in the midfield were awesome pre injury, never quite got back to that level afterwards. I remember going to the reserve game he made his comeback in, 2nd largest crowd of the week. 

Thanks for the memories Ian, once a Ranger!

Indeed, he was a great player, but feel both he and us were robbed of an even better player if not for his injury.

4 hours ago, worcesterloyal said:

How great a player he could have been ........If not for that animal simpson 

I always hear this but he was still a fantastic player when he came back albiet a different style IMO 

early 90s his goals against Marseille, Hibs final, Celtic etc 

Goals v Celtic & Marseille in particular always spring to mind when I hear his name. Don't dwell on 'what could have been '. Be thankful for what he did for us. Terrific player...true Ranger.

All the very best Durranty. Hope you find work again soon. Thank you for all your service. (y)