Joey sent home

scottjf82

5 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Wonder how accurate that report is or whether it is speculating at the boundaries of what might happen.    

It's only a view but if what happened was of a nature that relations cannot feasibly be repaired at all or in any sort of quick order then just exiling him with a requirement to think again about what was said / done and report back does not seem to fit with a 'its ended' message on Monday.    Of course if the thing was so heated that separation time was needed before an 'its ended' message could be transmitted by Rangers in the cold light of day then the bust up must have been far more intense than I've believed so far largely based on the Barton twitter account of things since Rangers has gone all ostrich-like in communicating anything at all.

Also - and this is one for those who know about employment contracts - bringing the contract to an end because an employee has breached some term of his contract would presumably have to be in the category of gross (and wilful) breach for immediate termination to be applied.    A different story perhaps if it suited both parties to mutually terminate ......and then the discussion becomes compensation.  

For now and in the absence of statements from Rangers about what happened and noting Barton's twitter account of events, the ST story feels a bit like the media looking to see if the temperature of this can be raised a notch or two in the hope that the story can be kept on the boil for a while longer, oh and to keep disruption at Ibrox on the boil for a while longer too. 

Monday will presumably reveal all.  

All good points you make. I noticed it was the print edition of the ST so could not find the whole article to look at online, just that wee bit from Sky.

As you say surely we will find out tomorrow what is going on and hopefully sorted sensibly, whatever that means for the Club and Barton. :unsure:

5 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Sunday times reporting that he was explicitly told to keep a low profile following the bust up and then went on to do the talk sport interview. This did not go down well and they are saying there is no way back for him and are saying it's either a potential sacking for misconduct or some form of payoff.

either way reconciliation looks to not be on the cards.

Thanks - hadn't seen the ST details.   I may be wrong here but its one thing to ask an employee to voluntarily keep a low profile (or even to refrain from commenting to the media) but I guess any decision to terminate would mean looking closely at the confidentiality terms of Barton's contract and the extent to which (if at all) he wilfully breached these to such an extent that it's considered to be a gross breach.    Personally, but this is purely a layman's opinion, I would have thought it would be quite hard to engineer a dismissal just because he transmitted a message about the events on twitter and spoke to a radio station. 

At some time on Monday the Club will have to make a statement.  It cannot continue ostrich-like beyond Monday when it has invited the player to return.  There must be a statement to clarify what happens next.   Sure as eggs is eggs if Rangers makes a statement, and if the decision of the Club is controversial for Barton (ie he disagrees) then it feels like media storm would be just around the corner.   We've had enough of that for the last 4 years.   Would be good if this matter can be brought to a conclusion that works for both parties tomorrow and in an orderly way.  

13 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Sunday times reporting that he was explicitly told to keep a low profile following the bust up and then went on to do the talk sport interview. This did not go down well and they are saying there is no way back for him and are saying it's either a potential sacking for misconduct or some form of payoff.

either way reconciliation looks to not be on the cards.

Ah, so this is what Sky were reporting and what I could not find online, did you find it online ?

6 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Thanks - hadn't seen the ST details.   I may be wrong here but its one thing to ask an employee to voluntarily keep a low profile (or even to refrain from commenting to the media) but I guess any decision to terminate would mean looking closely at the confidentiality terms of Barton's contract and the extent to which (if at all) he wilfully breached these to such an extent that it's considered to be a gross breach.    Personally, but this is purely a layman's opinion, I would have thought it would be quite hard to engineer a dismissal just because he transmitted a message about the events on twitter and spoke to a radio station. 

At some time on Monday the Club will have to make a statement.  It cannot continue ostrich-like beyond Monday when it has invited the player to return.  There must be a statement to clarify what happens next.   Sure as eggs is eggs if Rangers makes a statement, and if the decision of the Club is controversial for Barton (ie he disagrees) then it feels like media storm would be just around the corner.   We've had enough of that for the last 4 years.   Would be good if this matter can be brought to a conclusion that works for both parties tomorrow and in an orderly way.  

Most companies it's grounds for dismissal to refuse a " reasonable" request from a line manager.

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

Most companies it's grounds for dismissal to refuse a " reasonable" request from a line manager.

Yes, I guess that is the case (it's a while since I've worked for a company so bit out of touch on what employers can and can't do at the drop of a breach of contract hat).   

Even if they can dismiss immediately for failing to carry out a reasonable request I would have thought that unless the matter was wilful and gross in nature it might be hard to make an immediate dismissal stick in this case.   It feels a bit hair trigger in nature if this reason could be pulled every time an employee did something (or didn't do something) that a manager thought was reasonable unless the matter was grossly serious.   And then there is the interpretation of what is 'reasonable' in the circumstances.  

If Barton's employment contract does not contain specific terms under which Rangers can prevent or require prior approval before Barton is entitled to communicate directly with the media then my guess is there could be a collision of interpreting how the contract terms work ....eg manager thinks his request is reasonable and wants to dismiss, but employee cites his freedom to communicate with the media provided its within the confidentiality and communicating with media terms of his contract.   If Rangers push down a contractual, legalistic 'failed to respond to reasonable instruction' route to remove Barton then I suspect this spat with Barton will be rumbling for a while to come.  

I remain hopeful that whatever is decided is decided quickly (on Monday) and amicably.  We can do without the bad press and there is enough for Warburton to turn around quickly without this episode spiking matters for a while to come.   Its a pity Rangers felt it had to be handled in this way in the first case - I do wonder if it could have been handled better.

4 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

Yes, I guess that is the case (it's a while since I've worked for a company so bit out of touch on what employers can and can't do at the drop of a breach of contract hat).   

Even if they can dismiss immediately for failing to carry out a reasonable request I would have thought that unless the matter was wilful and gross in nature it might be hard to make an immediate dismissal stick in this case.   It feels a bit hair trigger in nature if this reason could be pulled every time an employee did something (or didn't do something) that a manager thought was reasonable unless the matter was grossly serious.   And then there is the interpretation of what is 'reasonable' in the circumstances.  

If Barton's employment contract does not contain specific terms under which Rangers can prevent or require prior approval before Barton is entitled to communicate directly with the media then my guess is there could be a collision of interpreting how the contract terms work ....eg manager thinks his request is reasonable and wants to dismiss, but employee cites his freedom to communicate with the media provided its within the confidentiality and communicating with media terms of his contract.   If Rangers push down a contractual, legalistic 'failed to respond to reasonable instruction' route to remove Barton then I suspect this spat with Barton will be rumbling for a while to come.  

I remain hopeful that whatever is decided is decided quickly (on Monday) and amicably.  We can do without the bad press and there is enough for Warburton to turn around quickly without this episode spiking matters for a while to come.   Its a pity Rangers felt it had to be handled in this way in the first case - I do wonder if it could have been handled better.

I do hope the line above works that way, because I feel dread at our board going head to head in some kind of dismissal process with Barton.   :disappointment:  

Just now, Skyson1872 said:

He isn't on anywhere near £20k a week, and it would not be a good idea at all. The guy has played what 5 games for us whilst the whole team has been utter pish, to base an opinion on that would be stupid. Give him a chance at least.

He's rank rotten, slows everything down and is disrupting the dressing room. No surprise our best performance of the season comes when he's not playing. Get him to fuck - I'd get rid of him for his shitebag performance last week alone tbh!

Just now, B1872 said:

He's rank rotten, slows everything down and is disrupting the dressing room. No surprise our best performance of the season comes when he's not playing. Get him to fuck - I'd get rid of him for his shitebag performance last week alone tbh!

Amazing, you do not know the facts yet are jumping to conclusions, the essence of stupidity. 

This season, almost the whole team have been shite by the way, this is one of those facts we should be keeping in mind while singling out Barton.

2 minutes ago, B1872 said:

He doesn't affect the pace of the full team, its not as if he controls how fast our attacking play is. He is hardly disrupting the dressing room either, nobody knows the full story but from what he said all that happened was they had a verbal disagreement that he worded too strongly which I am glad to hear cause then he is showing passion. Would you get rid of everyone apart from Windass, Tav and Foderingham then? Naw. The full team has been shite, not just him so stop targeting him.

Just now, Jack The Flipper said:

Amazing, you do not know the facts yet are jumping to conclusions, the essence of stupidity. 

This season, almost the whole team have been shite by the way, this is one of those facts we should be keeping in mind while singling out Barton.

What facts do I not know?

He's slow as fuck - FACT!

Isn't suited to our team and style of play - FACT!

Our best performance of the season is when he isn't in the team -FACT!

You're a wee fanny - FACT!

??

Just now, B1872 said:

What facts do I not know?

He's slow as fuck - FACT!

Isn't suited to our team and style of play - FACT!

Our best performance of the season is when he isn't in the team -FACT!

You're a wee fanny - FACT!

??

Thanks fellow Rangers fan, pointless replying to your post. I'm out.

8 minutes ago, B1872 said:

The guy cut it no problem in French Ligue 1 and was ECL (several levels above our sfpl imo) player of the year.

He's not rank rotten. Given time i'm sure JB will turn out to be an excellent signing.

52 minutes ago, B1872 said:

So do we expect Joey to be told to GTF tomorrow? Would be a good idea if possible as doesn't suit our style of play and can free up £20k per week wages. ??

No, JB took to twitter and then Talksport in response to that leaked story. At the weekend MW was shown a lack of respect from the media yet again. To me the problem lies with the leak and the medias' lack of parity towards Rangers.  Sacking him to save money on wages is poor form, the guy has a contract and something I doubt very much MW would do.

12 minutes ago, BloodRunsBlue said:

The guy cut it no problem in French Ligue 1 and was ECL (several levels above our sfpl imo) player of the year.

He's not rank rotten. Given time i'm sure JB will turn out to be an excellent signing.

He was rubbish for Marseille. 

27 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Our best performance of the season is a 0-0 draw at home to Ross County.

Our problems run much deeper than Joey Barton.

48 minutes ago, BloodRunsBlue said:

A matter of opinion. He played 25 times in that season.

He was outstanding at Burnley, That's a fact.

He's been a big mouthed embarrassment at Rangers. That's a fact.

His biggest problem is that in his mind he's had this great career and been a top player. He hasn't. In football terms he actually a bit of a nobody. More famous for Twitter, having a murderer brother and making a tit of himself on question time than anything else. 

1 hour ago, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Our best performance of the season is a 0-0 draw at home to Ross County.

Our problems run much deeper than Joey Barton.

It's too easy to blame it on one player and ultimately it's the Manager who signs them.