The Joey Barton Thread

Swagger

He could have probably came back from the 'bust up' or whatever happened. But when he went on Talksport, after being told not to, calling the manager 'Warbs' and saying he has nothing to say sorry about then he was done. You can't have a player thinking he is bigger than the manager.

Anybody else think Mills might have absolutely nailed it with this line:

"He's a very, very good footballer. I've said before I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is and he expects everybody else to be as good as he thinks his. That's one of his problems."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37855550

17 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

I'm just so glad Andy Halliday did this in all honesty.

Guy's an absolute hero for us :wub:

But also a bang average footballer who at times gets away with murder with our support because of him being "one of us"

To an extent it's understandable the focus is on Barton and what happened to cause 'the issue' as the Club still describes it which resulted in his suspension.   In my view, and with the actual facts not known and only supposed or 'leaked' or invnted, there should be just as much focus on how Warburton and the Club's execs reacted and whether their actions were the only credible option to have taken.    

If the issue boiled down in some substance to it being a case of Warburton taking offence at stuff Barton may have directed at Warburton and deciding that he could not or would not work with Barton again then there may be more than a measure of blame for this fiasco to be allocated to Warburton and the Club.     Disputes, arguments with colleagues and bosses, scuffles or fights between colleagues happen.   They don't always end up with one person being effectively ostracised in this manner with it effectively being made clear he is not wanted.   Its a sacking that stops just short of actually being handed a P45 until the person gets the 'not welcome' message, accepts the situation and voluntarily leaves with a bagful of compensation.   

If Warbuton as we know from his own statements after games encouraged frank group (as he puts it) discussions, and - amazingly perhaps after the Barton incident - permitted another heated discussion before the recent OF semi, can't manage these things effectively or take the criticism from players then maybe he is not running his teamwork operation as wisely as he might.  Or maybe he is out of his depth in that 'heated discussion' territory and resorts to formal HR-type procedures to deal with it rather than deal with it personally.   Any way you look at this it seems clear Warburton will not work with Barton. However its disguised (as an 'issue') and however it is wrapped up (in HR disciplinary processes) its clear enough from the actions and language that Barton is not wanted.   So he will be off in due course with a sackful of compensation and some lively stories to tell down South about football life at Rangers under Warburton.  

But given the efforts made to sign Barton in the first case, and the expense, and the hype in the early part of the season about going for 55 (which has been quietly dropped by Warburton and the Club and we now just talk about being highly competitive and about the second half of the season)..............maybe some more focus should be put on considering just how well or poorly Warburton has handled all of this.  

If we don't achieve the sole (low) aim of European football for next season the season will have been a failure.  Questions - led by King no doubt - would be asked.   And in doing that the lines taken in dealing with Barton would be bound to come back into focus.   Not only would the handling of the 'issue' have lost us the player and cost money in compensation but his absence throughout the bulk of the season would have been part of the causes of costing us a European slot.    If that happens I doubt if King would be much minded to take comfort in recalling the reasons for engineering Barton's departure ....... maybe he'd be more concerned to assess what Warburton did and did not do which created the failure.   Barton's departure, and Kranjcar's freak (but as of Warburton yesterday apparently not now so freak) injury will have lost 2 players considered at the start of the season to be vital to achieving European football for next season.  The upshot is the pressure is all on Warbuton and the pressure is growing now that these 2 players are gone for this season.   

37 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

Anybody else think Mills might have absolutely nailed it with this line:

"He's a very, very good footballer. I've said before I don't think he's as good as he thinks he is and he expects everybody else to be as good as he thinks his. That's one of his problems."

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37855550

Absolutely, made a few really good points.

"In his own head, he probably feels he hasn't done anything wrong and he hasn't got anything to apologise for, therefore he refuses to apologise." That's the reason he'll never play for us again, nothing to do with the actual incident itself is my view.

4 hours ago, The Mailman said:

Knew there would be some smart arse. It's pretty obvious , do well in training and make the most of appearances of the bench.

If it was obvious, you should have stated that thereby removing any and all ambiguity.  Smart arse, yeah probably right.

8 minutes ago, kdybear55 said:

What's not good enough about his management? I think he's doing a good job and is taking us forward from where we were. 

He's failed in the three big games this year two against the filth one against Aberdeen draws against Hamilton st Johnstone ross county Kilmarnock and the embarrassment of the Cup last season.

Maybe that's good enough for you, its mediocre the way i see it..

15 minutes ago, kdybear55 said:

What's not good enough about his management? I think he's doing a good job and is taking us forward from where we were. 

He will never be good enough for some, I mean a Rangers manager who has lost to the scum and lost a Scottish  cup final something that no other Rangers manager has ever been bad enough to do. All these disasters while spending tens of millions into the bargain.Welcome to the fantasy world of Rangers media forum.

14 minutes ago, Smile said:

He's failed in the three big games this year two against the filth one against Aberdeen draws against Hamilton st Johnstone ross county Kilmarnock and the embarrassment of the Cup last season.

I don't think it's acceptable to lose in the manor we did at parkhead no but I didn't think we deserved to lose against Aberdeen and I think the semi final was poor but at least we showed more of a defensive display! He's changed the team and had a good performance in the 1st half against st Johnstone and the game against Kilmarnock was an improvement so it does show he is learning and finally showing a bit of promise! But you're completely right sack him after the next bad result and get another man in and when he loses his first game get rid of him and so on

2 minutes ago, kdybear55 said:

I don't think it's acceptable to lose in the manor we did at parkhead no but I didn't think we deserved to lose against Aberdeen and I think the semi final was poor but at least we showed more of a defensive display! He's changed the team and had a good performance in the 1st half against st Johnstone and the game against Kilmarnock was an improvement so it does show he is learning and finally showing a bit of promise! But you're completely right sack him after the next bad result and get another man in and when he loses his first game get rid of him and so on

Now your learning football management according to the experts on RMF fairly simple isn't it don't see what all the bother and fuss is about.If you don't win the SPL in your first season of competing in it then you are out the door.I can just see the line of good managers lining up for that job.

2 minutes ago, sammy cox said:

Now your learning football management according to the experts on RMF fairly simple isn't it don't see what all the bother and fuss is about.If you don't win the SPL in your first season of competing in it then you are out the door.I can just see the line of good managers lining up for that job.

It's good to hear someone on the same page! I'm not saying I'm particular happy with what we've got but I know it's improving we're so much better off than 2 years ago let's give him our backing and let's see what we can build. And that's what I keep asking who is going to come in and do a better job on the resources warburtons got 

Just now, kdybear55 said:

It's good to hear someone on the same page! I'm not saying I'm particular happy with what we've got but I know it's improving we're so much better off than 2 years ago let's give him our backing and let's see what we can build. And that's what I keep asking who is going to come in and do a better job on the resources warburtons got 

Theres plenty on the same page mate,thousands who go along to the games and know that there is a lot of  hard work still to be done and who don't live in the fantasy world of RMF.Yes they will not be happy at getting beat and the way the team has played but they know what is required and they also know there is no quick fix" lets spend our way out of everything with the money we don't have " mentality which is cultured by some.Now that you've mastered the management skills you need to move up to the boardroom and start telling self made millionaires what to do with their money another piece of life on RMF that so many know about .

35 minutes ago, kdybear55 said:

It's great you two boys have found each other High Fives all round. I see the start of a wee romance if my posts help create that i'm happy for you. .

1 hour ago, Smile said:

Do you think there's anything positive about our football club right now?

Serious question.