£100m guarantees nothing ?

BLUEDIGNITY

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In one newspaper article about Weir's interview the journo's interpretation of part of it (make of it what you will) was.....Weir emphasised that patience along with persistence will be essential a Rangers attempt to chip away at C.....'s superiority. 

He then quotes Weir "It is what it is: it's not ideal and, obviously, we don't like it but there is a gap because they invested, they've been playing at a great level and they've got a team full of international players they're constantly improving.   Rangers haven't been [doing that].  Rangers have been in the backwaters for the last four or five years and haven't really invested in the squad.  So how do you bridge that gap?   Well unless you're spending £100 million, or whatever the figure may be, and even then that doesn't guarantee [success]."

A statement from Weir that is realistic in terms of what is possible with the current Board?  Or is it essentially defeatist in its tone?  Or is it just joining in with Smith, Henderson, Ferguson, McCall in saying to King and the Board that if they want to try to head off Supporter impatience about the lack of proper investment and if they want to get to 55 at a pace that is a whole lot faster than  the 'patient and persistent' approach Weir (and in the past Warburton) has referred to then find more money. Or if you can't then you need to find a way to convince the Support to buy into long seasons of just being patient and just looking to persist in the hope that eventually a title will be won.    

Maybe a way his statement, and those made by the Rangers big names last week, could be interpreted is this.   King and the Board are retreating the Club to a financial position where provided the Support continue to buy STs in broadly the same numbers as this season the Club can keep going but can only afford bargain basement transfers with the net effect of accepting that the Club is just one of a chasing pack for many many seasons to come.   Not surrender as such - that's not a word that even King could sanction being used.  But effectively a retreat from high ambition of early title wins to one of just looking to be competitive and hoping for the best.  

Is that where King has effectively already taken us?    Nowhere, absolutely nowhere, do I see or read or hear of any work - never mind serious work - King and the Board and the MD and the FD are doing to generate materially more money for the Club to invest in players.  Nothing.   Its as though they have settled for life at Rangers as it is for a long time to come.  Snuggled into their boardroom positions and content to watch the team become just a tea of strivers,  Not strivers for the title.  But strivers to achieve 2nd.   Under Warburton and Weir who have meekly (or is it realistically) accepted the financial shackles and will also be strivers in trying to develop players who might one day win a title.

Note also Weir's referral to the Brentford days and his listing of players brought in, developed, then sold on for big money (he cites the latest prospect being Scott Hogan).    Well now I'm not against players being transferred on for big fees but maybe Davie Weir, and most certainly Mark Warburton, and most definitely Dave King, need a reminder from the Support that Rangers is not about being some middle of the road development vehicle for other Clubs and with a measure of success being how much you sell a player on for.   It's about winning fucking league titles.   

If they are not careful, their (Weir, Warburton, King) dumbing down of expectations and replacing them with 'just one of the pack being patient and persisting and making a turn on selling players' will not work out well for them.   I very much doubt if the Support in general will readily buy into the prospect of slow years of just being patient and of just persisting.   King, Warburton and Weir need to find a way of shifting their statements to statements which are focussed on winning the next title asap.   That is one of the biggest reasons why they are there but they seem too ready to say why it cannot be done soon rather than what they will do to make it happen soon.

It sure as hell is going to be interesting to see what line King, Warburton and Weir take when it comes to encouraging ST holders to renew in such big numbers next season.    It would be risky to take for granted that STs will be sold in broadly the same volume as this season - that would very much be the one thing that Warburton insists is not done.....which is to take the Support for granted.    A lot of course depends on how the season ends up.

1 hour ago, Grae said:

I was meaning moving forward, not what's already gone. If we could win 95% of our remaining games this season (outwith OF) and give them a bit of a doing in one of the games then we'd be on the right road. Realistically it'd be next season. There should be no reason why we couldn't do that.

Win 95% of our games and give the taigs a doing!!! I am sure matron must be looking for you to administer your medication. Although tbf it did make me chuckle 

4 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

In one newspaper article about Weir's interview the journo's interpretation of part of it (make of it what you will) was.....Weir emphasised that patience along with persistence will be essential a Rangers attempt to chip away at C.....'s superiority. 

He then quotes Weir "It is what it is: it's not ideal and, obviously, we don't like it but there is a gap because they invested, they've been playing at a great level and they've got a team full of international players they're constantly improving.   Rangers haven't been [doing that].  Rangers have been in the backwaters for the last four or five years and haven't really invested in the squad.  So how do you bridge that gap?   Well unless you're spending £100 million, or whatever the figure may be, and even then that doesn't guarantee [success]."

A statement from Weir that is realistic in terms of what is possible with the current Board?  Or is it essentially defeatist in its tone?  Or is it just joining in with Smith, Henderson, Ferguson, McCall in saying to King and the Board that if they want to try to head off Supporter impatience about the lack of proper investment and if they want to get to 55 at a pace that is a whole lot faster than  the 'patient and persistent' approach Weir (and in the past Warburton) has referred to then find more money or if you can't then you need to find a way to convince the Support to buy into long seasons of just being patient and just looking to persist in the hope that eventually a title will be won.    

Maybe a way his statement, and those made by the Rangers big names last week, could be interpreted is this.   King and the Board are retreating the Club to a financial position where provided the Support continue to buy STs in broadly the same numbers as this season the Club can keep going but can only afford bargain basement transfers with the net effect of accepting that the Club is just one of a chasing pack for many many seasons to come.   Not surrender as such - that's not a word that even King could sanction being used.  But effectively a retreat from high ambition of early title wins to one of just looking to be competitive and hoping for the best.  

Is that where King has effectively already taken us?    Nowhere, absolutely nowhere, do I see or read or hear of any work - never mind serious work - King and the Board and the MD and the FD are doing to generate materially more money for the Club to invest in players.  Nothing.   Its as though they have settled for life at Rangers as it is for a long time to come.  Snuggled into their boardroom positions and content to watch the team become just a tea of strivers,  Not strivers for the title.  But strivers to achieve 2nd.   Under Warburton and Weir who have meekly (or is it realistically) accepted the financial shackles and will also be strivers in trying to develop players who might one day win a title.

Note also Weir's referral to the Brentford days and his listing of players brought in, developed, then sold on for big money (he cites the latest prospect being Scott Hogan).    Well now I'm not against players being transferred on for big fees but maybe Davie Weir, and most certainly Mark Warburton, and most definitely Dave King, need a reminder from the Support that Rangers is not about being some middle of the road development vehicle for other Clubs and with a measure of success being how much you sell a player on for.   It's about winning fucking league titles.   

If they are not careful, their (Weir, Warburton, King) dumbing down of expectations and replacing them with 'just one of the pack being patient and persisting and making a turn on selling players' will not work out well for them.   I very much doubt if the Support in general will readily buy into the prospect of slow years of just being patient and of just persisting.   King, Warburton and Weir need to find a way of shifting their statements to statements which are focussed on winning the next title asap.   That is one of the biggest reasons why they are there but they seem too ready to say why it cannot be done soon rather than what they will do to make it happen soon.

It sure as hell is going to be interesting to see what line King, Warburton and Weir take when it comes to encouraging ST holders to renew in such big numbers next season.    It would be risky to take for granted that STs will be sold in broadly the same volume as this season - that would very much be the one thing that Warburton insists is not done.....which is to take the Support for granted.    A lot of course depends on how the season ends up.

"Going for 55 the sequel". Plus I am sure the club DVD of our record breaking 3 wins in row will fly of the shelves 

2 hours ago, Grae said:

Success has actually fuck all to do with how well the Scum are doing. All we need is to reach a decent level of consistency, have a couple of no nonsense footballers in the team to add to the flair and the rest will take care of itself. If we're winning 95% of our games outwith OF, the pressure will tell on them. If we're operating at that level, then OF games will be more unpredictable. The more that happens, the smaller the gap gets.

It won't take £10 Million to do that, never mind £100 Million.

That's the problem Warburton can't get the team to play consistently, Can't score goals, can't defend, a recipe for disaster, something has to give. If it's a quality of player issue then you have to spend more on players, if it's a managerial problem he will just pay more money and bring in  more of the same.

IMHO we need to solve both problems with investment and a new manager.

Another example of how the media twist the message to make us look bad. I'm quite certain that if DW and MW were given half of the 100M figure they would end Celtic's dominance. What could DW say? Money guarantees nothing. That's what I take from that. Nothing in the interview, which I watched in full, came across as defeatist. Fully expected the press to run with headlines of DW claims even 100m wont catch Celtic. That's NOT what he said. More fool the moaners on here who believe everything that's written in the press. I'd suggest anyone not already subscribed, should sign up for RTV and keep up with our pressers directly. Reading twisted versions in the MSM will only give you ulcers.

24 minutes ago, StornowayBlue said:

Another example of how the media twist the message to make us look bad. I'm quite certain that if DW and MW were given half of the 100M figure they would end Celtic's dominance. What could DW say? Money guarantees nothing. That's what I take from that. Nothing in the interview, which I watched in full, came across as defeatist. Fully expected the press to run with headlines of DW claims even 100m wont catch Celtic. That's NOT what he said. More fool the moaners on here who believe everything that's written in the press. I'd suggest anyone not already subscribed, should sign up for RTV and keep up with our pressers directly. Reading twisted versions in the MSM will only give you ulcers.

We all watched the interview yesterday direct from RTV, it was nonsense then and it's not changed today. 

Just now, coopsleftboot said:

Only because you'de decided what you wanted to hear before you heard it.

You might have a crystal ball that tells you a load of nonsense, but the rest of us haven't a clue what is going to be said before a press conference. 

So I fail to understand how anyone could have made their mind up what to think before Davie actually said anything. 

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Half of that 50 million would be enough.

5/6 decent players and we'd be sorted.

Listen you, you just want to spunk millions we don't have and never will. All because you decided what Davie was going to say before he even said it. 

Right that's you told so it is. ?

3 hours ago, Bears r us said:

Most of the posts on here say what most Rangers fans must be thinking. 

I like big Davie but that was a hellish defeatist interview, imagine any player reading that. It must make them think, oh well we have got years to catch selick, no need to try too hard. :facepalm:

We all know what Davie meant about the £100M but again it is a nonsense we do not need anywhere near that amount to be competing with them, but it puts out a statement that we should not worry about any investment because we are not trying to work to any timescale that involves any serious money at the moment.  Well that is bullshit Davie, why can we not build youth but also invest in a few players that would make us competitive now. 

We are Rangers not some lower division club. We should not forget that. 

Great post Bud,

Along with a few other posters your's is one of the best thought out post in this thread mate .... covering the main aspects fairly, without any hysterics  .... fucking papers can throw out one destructive headline and  ....... BOOM ...... chaos reigns.

:UK:

I said the Problem buying cheaper players or getting them in for wages is we would end up buying the same again so actually spending more as they are not good enough, this season we should have added 4or 5 quality players rather than 10 poorer players.

Personally i would have not went for the older players as its short-termism once again.

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Great post Bud,

Along with a few other posters your's is one of the best thought out post in this thread mate .... covering the main aspects fairly, without any hysterics  .... fucking papers can throw out one destructive headline and  ....... BOOM ...... chaos reigns.

:UK:

Cheers mate :thumbup:   just a bit of common sense I suppose.

I do like big Davie but if that was supposed to make us all say "ah well that is us not going to see a title in the near future" and expect us to be happy with that, I think he should maybe get The King to have a look at the response. :lol:

And also explain to The King that while most of us will continue to buy season tickets out of loyalty not everyone will if we have no chance of competing with the beasts from the east for years to come. :tut:

In Scotland 100 million would win you 10-15 in a row. But when your attempted signings are all playing in England then we'd maybe get 3 players and still lose the league.

so yes 100 million doesn't guarantee titles-it's the people spending it that guarantees them. Anyhow it's all hypothetical cos this board wouldn't even stump up for the damage the idiots caused down saville way.   Fucking cheap bastards

One of the disappointing things about the Weir press conference and to some extent the articles from big Rangers names last week, and of many of Warburton's soundbite messages, is their emphasis is on the journey.

We are told (pretty much weekly) the team needs to learn.  We are asked to be patient.  We are told it will be a question of persisting.   We were told we were going for 55, only to be cheekily told much later after STs were sold that nobody said when.  We rely on bringing in loan players to make a decisive difference to just finishing 2nd this season.   We are told the team needs to gel.   We see only meagre transfer funds being made available and even then its arguable that the summer signings are not delivering any substantial improvement to the team.   King and the Board have hit the buffers in terms of finding investment to go towards acquiring better players.  They seem to be all out of financial steam for that.    We hear weekly that the focus is the next game and its each game at a time - 3 points available for each game - then the post match interviews that bring us back to a need to learn, a need to be patient and so on.  

It's like journey on the Circle line in London.  Next station Learning.  The following station Patience.  The station after that Persistence.  The station after that Gelling.  And so it goes.    The first and most immediate end product we want to see is title 55.   At some time Warburton, Weir and King need to do a whole lot more focussing on finding the investment, talent and managerial nous to break out of just messaging about what starts to feel like a circular endless journeying and actually travel at speed to get to 55.     That may take more money than King can deliver and more managerial drive and nous than Warburton can muster.  

It's leaders and winners we need.  Not Board members or managers or coaches who settle for the journey and keeping financially afloat as being enough of a measure of success.   There needs to be much more of an emphasis on the end product of a title.  Its the absence of that firm focus that makes the Weir press conference - and those given by Warburton - less than satisfactory.   As for King and the Board.  Well, they seem to have nothing to say at this time.