Billy Gilmour off?

Misteral

No point us producing young talentĀ if we ship them out before they kick a ball for us, then we loan other teams players and help make them into better players.

Something not right at our club when this is the case.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lloyd72
14 minutes ago, Smile said:

No point us producing young talentĀ if we ship them out before they kick a ball for us, then we loan other teams players and help make them into better players.

Something not right at our club when this is the case.

It happens to every club in our position, we can't compete with clubs down south.

There is nothing stopping him signing a new deal which would net the club a far bigger transfer fee,If these teams that are interested and serious about signing him,Then a couple of million which is loose change to these clubs would be far better than the figures doing the rounds.

That way he gets the club a much bigger fee and a win win situation for the player and the club,Soon as he hits 16,Sign a pro contract and we'll find out if teams are still interested in him or just after a player on the cheap.

He would be making a huge mistake and taking a huge gamble with his career going down to London, He would be better staying with Rangers and filling out a bit more and keep improving his game and raising his profile even more by knocking on the door of the first team.

The unfortunate thing now about football is when clubs start waving thousands a week to young boys like Gilmour with loads of promises and the big lights of London, It's not only the players but their familys can also be taken in by it all and swayed to make a decision for the wrong reasons.

I like others have seen all this big prospect thing before and usually it never comes to fruition, You only need to look back at the hype about Fleck being the next Wayne Rooney to see how people can get carried away.

If Gilmour is the prospect he's made out to be, It will make no difference if he stays at Rangers as he will just get even better if he is indeed a future prospect for big things.

I just hope both him and his parents make the right decision for the right reasons and ignore the money factor and bright lights of London,If he's good enough,Keeps working hard,Keeps improving,Then the rewards will come.Ā Ā 

2 hours ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

There is nothing stopping him signing a new deal which would net the club a far bigger transfer fee,If these teams that are interested and serious about signing him,Then a couple of million which is loose change to these clubs would be far better than the figures doing the rounds.

That way he gets the club a much bigger fee and a win win situation for the player and the club,Soon as he hits 16,Sign a pro contract and we'll find out if teams are still interested in him or just after a player on the cheap.

He would be making a huge mistake and taking a huge gamble with his career going down to London, He would be better staying with Rangers and filling out a bit more and keep improving his game and raising his profile even more by knocking on the door of the first team.

The unfortunate thing now about football is when clubs start waving thousands a week to young boys like Gilmour with loads of promises and the big lights of London, It's not only the players but their familys can also be taken in by it all and swayed to make a decision for the wrong reasons.

I like others have seen all this big prospect thing before and usually it never comes to fruition, You only need to look back at the hype about Fleck being the next Wayne Rooney to see how people can get carried away.

If Gilmour is the prospect he's made out to be, It will make no difference if he stays at Rangers as he will just get even better if he is indeed a future prospect for big things.

I just hope both him and his parents make the right decision for the right reasons and ignore the money factor and bright lights of London,If he's good enough,Keeps working hard,Keeps improving,Then the rewards will come.Ā Ā 

Look at john fleck and "the prospect" he was ment to be only difference is he would of earned more money.

Ā 

At the end of the day i would of loved him to stay but kids like money, Most people do.

3 hours ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

Ā 

This would be good, he is 15 years old ffs and looks about 8 stone, he has been at Rangers about half his life and really well looked after,Ā so its a decision that will be a big one in the Gilmour household.

Ā InĀ the next two or three years it will become apparent if he will make a living in the game, as the best player in the country at 15 could be an also ran by 18, I think the club have done all they can and if the reported 600k quoted is received if he goes I wish him luck.

Wilson/Ness/MacLeod are all guys he could ask for advice albeit they were a bit further up the ladder and supposedly top of the game bound, reality tells another story.

3 hours ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

There is nothing stopping him signing a new deal which would net the club a far bigger transfer fee

Of course there is. First, his wages. If a club picks him up for a nominal fee he'll be able to command a bigger salary than if they fork out a larger sum.

Secondly, the risk that at any moment a career ending injury could put him outĀ of the game before he makes the move which could secure him, financially, for life.

I hope we manage to keep hold of the boy but fully understand if he choses to move on. Tv money has ruined football as a sport, that's just how it is, I'm afraid.

16 hours ago, The Dude said:

I can't get a straight answer. I've asked Billy directly (and some at the club) both on and off the record but can't get anything definitive. It's maybe just my inherent sense of optimism but I'd be inclined to think there's no agreement yet. Without naming names, a prominent memberĀ of the backroom team referred to him as 'the one' when it came to the boys coming through and said the club would be doing "whatever it takes" to try keep him.Ā 

Cheers mate.

Let's hope your optimism is not misplaced!

5 hours ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

Where's the evidence he'd be better staying here?Ā When was the last time Rangers successfully brought throughĀ their ownĀ young player who got game time in the first team then went on to bigger and better things?

Don't get me wrong I'd love him to stay as from what I've heard the boy is a real prospect but wouldn't blame him if he did decide to go.

1 hour ago, jackrfc95 said:

Where's the evidence he'd be better staying here?Ā When was the last time Rangers successfully brought throughĀ their ownĀ young player who got game time in the first team then went on to bigger and better things?

Don't get me wrong I'd love him to stay as from what I've heard the boy is a real prospect but wouldn't blame him if he did decide to go.

Times have changed, the board, the incoming DoF, and our current manager are all big on developing and using youth.

The days of Walter although exceptional in that time, are now over.

AresenalĀ and Tottenham nick talent from Barcelona nobody bats an eye down south.

Clubs have been fined for bringing in youth players they shouldn't from Africa.

They have cash to burn and we don't so if anyone thinks that this may be the only one is investing in a bit of wishful thinking.

Its unpalatable but at the moment we are not in a position to defend against these people trying to nick talent.

Although its a difficult choice i think boys that age should stay at home club till 18.

I imagine his family would have to move as most 15/16 yr old boys arent mature enough to move away from home. -(particularly guys that have had everything done for them).

Its not like hes moving to the EPL the same way Danny Wilson did. I totally understood Wilson seizing a probable once in a lifetime opportunity. Gilmour needs to try and get in our team and any future move would be from a more solid foundation. The chances are if he goes now he will vanish and reappear at the likes of Livingstone or suchlike in 5 years time.

I hope he doesn't do a scott allan and chase the money for short term gain.

Ā 

Ā 

Our track record of bring through youngsters is pretty appalling. Untill that changes we will never know.Ā 

If we are that confident in our own ability to bring the best out of Gilmour then we should offer him a contract similar to Chelsea.Ā 

We will never change our reputation on bringing through youth if we don't start showing a good track record.Ā 

1 hour ago, Ryan_1 said:

I think it's great business by the club personally.Ā 

WhilstĀ it's not ideal I tend to agree. Before even kicking a ball in anger we have locked inĀ a high six figure sum. There are no guarantees he'll turn in to a world beater.

Not sure on the contractuals either as he's under 18 but it would seem foolish not to insert a buy-back and sell-on clause into the deal.Ā 

22 hours ago, The Dude said:

I can't get a straight answer. I've asked Billy directly (and some at the club) both on and off the record but can't get anything definitive. It's maybe just my inherent sense of optimism but I'd be inclined to think there's no agreement yet. Without naming names, a prominent memberĀ of the backroom team referred to him as 'the one' when it came to the boys coming through and said the club would be doing "whatever it takes" to try keep him.Ā 

Dude, I meant to ask you this yesterday but is it true that billys younger brother is akso with us and is being touted as every bit as good if not better?

Any deal that moves the gilmours away would see us lose 2 potential stars if this was the case!!

Personally I think he should stay till he's at least 18/19. Pedro has already said that he will play 1st team football next season. Kids are chasing the money these days compared to the like of your Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs type of players back in the day. Let's be honest Chelsea will sign a 16/17 year old, keep them in the youth teams till 18/19 then loan them out for the next 3/4 seasons. FIFA/UEFA should also look at these rules & change them toĀ where these kids NEED to sign a 2 year professional contract with their academy to tie themĀ up till they're 18 with theĀ team they came through & then they can move onto bigger & better things if a move comes along. That way these players can mature more & improve what skills they have.

All Gilmour has to do is look what happened to the likes of Gauld, Liam Miller, Feruz, Danny Wilson career.

8 hours ago, jackrfc95 said:

Quite simple, He has more chance of getting into Rangers first team than he ever will at Chelsea,Only difference is Chelsea can offer more money.

Fleck,McCormack and Ferguson of the three of them McCormack i'd say has done the best in regards to transfer fees.

It's unfortunate now that due to the money on offer most players see the pull of cash rather than what is bestĀ for their footballing career,If your one of the worlds elite players you can pick and choose how much you want and where you want to go,For the vast majority of players it's all about the lifestyle of flash cars,watches and blonde ornaments hanging from your arm.Ā 

14 minutes ago, King_gazza said:

Personally I think he should stay till he's at least 18/19. Pedro has already said that he will play 1st team football next season. Kids are chasing the money these days compared to the like of your Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs type of players back in the day. Let's be honest Chelsea will sign a 16/17 year old, keep them in the youth teams till 18/19 then loan them out for the next 3/4 seasons. FIFA/UEFA should also look at these rules & change them toĀ where these kids NEED to sign a 2 year professional contract with their academy to tie themĀ up till they're 18 with theĀ team they came through & then they can move onto bigger & better things if a move comes along. That way these players can mature more & improve what skills they have.

All Gilmour has to do is look what happened to the likes of Gauld, Liam Miller, Feruz, Danny Wilson career.

Being fair Scholes and Giggs were paid at the top end of the pay scale although I do understand what you are getting at. Matt Le Tissier may haveĀ been a better comparison.

There should be a limit on the number of players under 20 that a club can send on loan. No more than 10 per season would be reasonable.

9 minutes ago, Rangersfansmediawatch said:

Quite simple, He has more chance of getting into Rangers first team than he ever will at Chelsea,Only difference is Chelsea can offer more money.

Fleck,McCormack and Ferguson of the three of them McCormack i'd say has done the best in regards to transfer fees.

It's unfortunate now that due to the money on offer most players see the pull of cash rather than what is bestĀ for their footballing career,If your one of the worlds elite players you can pick and choose how much you want and where you want to go,For the vast majority of players it's all about the lifestyle of flash cars,watches and blonde ornaments hanging from your arm.Ā 

He'll develop in their academy then eventuallyĀ Chelsea can send him on loan to clubs which play in a better league than ours, perhaps even a premiership team. The boy is only 15, even if he does stay here I'd say it'll still be at least 2 years before he's playing in our first team regularly, he's not filled out enough yet IMO.Ā 

Fleck's career went downhill after us, McCormack played 11Ā games in 3 yearsĀ for us and Ferguson was over 20 years ago so that just proves my point.Ā 

Edit: the last young player we developed, made an impact in our team then went on to better thingsĀ was probably Hutton. I would say McLeod but that was obviously the lower leagues so a bit different.Ā 

38 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Being fair Scholes and Giggs were paid at the top end of the pay scale although I do understand what you are getting at. Matt Le Tissier may haveĀ been a better comparison.

There should be a limit on the number of players under 20 that a club can send on loan. No more than 10 per season would be reasonable.

Yeah Le Tissier would be a good example to use. Paul Scholes said he got offered all sorts of crazy money when he was at United from the likes of Barcelona but turned them down as he was United through & through. Money wasn't everything to people back in those days. Ā I think their should be a limit on the amount of U20 players clubs can loan out but also stand by my original post saying players at 16 should have to sign a professional contract with the team that brought them through and can't move to another club till their 18th Birthday.

Thought Pedro was quite coy in his press conference. Could be reading it totally wrong but I got the impression there's still a very good chance Gilmour will stay with us and then potentially move onto Chelsea or someone else a few years down the line.

I think Robertson going public, whether intentionally or not, is a potentially interesting tactic as most views from those within football seem to be of the opinion that it would be best for his immediate development if he stays with us, certainly in the short term anyway.