Slovenia v Scotland

Strachan blaming genetics for losing. What a fucking walloper he truly is. Imagine Pedro said that after getting put out of Europe. He would have been fucking slaughtered for it. But most of his wee pals in the team want him to stay. Scottish football is 15 years behind everywhere else in Europe and this 'glorious failure' will continue until that mentality can change.

2 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

33 different European countries have qualified for Euros and WCs since 98. This includes the other home nations and rep of ireland and footballing powers such as Slovenia, Bulgaria, Albania, Hungary, Iceland and my personal favourite Latvia. I would also argue there will be a couple more before Scotland gets back.

When you look at the two teams Scotland were up against the only thing that makes Scotland's squad better than Slovenia and Slovakia is that people see these players more. Slovakia for me have a better first 11 than Scotland if you consider where some of there guys play their football.

Then there is Slovenia who they are nip and tuck with pretty much but they also have Illicic playing at Atalanta, Kampl at Leipzig and Oblak at Atletico which is a much higher level than any of Scotland's players play at and that includes the players that play in the EPL.

I think it's down to culture and a lot of apathy. I think when a Snodgrass or a McArthur go down there to a Hull or West Ham or Crystal Palace they think they've made it. The last guy off the top of my head to move to a top EPL team was Alan Hutton and that was 10 years in January.

Scotland can qualify for a tournament in the short term if they stop appointing simpletons as manager. The last good manager they had was McLeish and then Smith before him.

Iceland shouldnt be underestimated. They are topping their group again and it isnt a coinsidence. They did something about their whole structure and 10 years later its paying off. Not bad for a country the size of Aberdeen. 

1 hour ago, johanhentze said:

Iceland shouldnt be underestimated. They are topping their group again and it isnt a coinsidence. They did something about their whole structure and 10 years later its paying off. Not bad for a country the size of Aberdeen. 

Absolutely agree, just when you consider where they were, as you say, 10 years ago Scotland should be ahead of them. Can't criticise how they've performed in the last 3 qualifiying campaigns. To top a group involving Croatia, Ukraine and Turkey is quite something!

1 hour ago, johanhentze said:

Amazing what a bit of vision and some proper investment and organisation at grass roots level can do. It won Germany a World Cup. 

If Iceland can qualify for tournaments and compete then absolutely no excuse for Scotland, it's just poor mentality, already storing excuses like Strachan using the tall bollocks. Scotland last night put in a disgraceful performance, instead of standing strong and making sure they win the game they capitulated. 

46 minutes ago, roboscot said:

Amazing what a bit of vision and some proper investment and organisation at grass roots level can do. It won Germany a World Cup. 

I think it won them the World cup at all age levels? But yea... one can talk about genetics until the cows come home, but at the end of the day it wont change anything. Scotland can obviously do it as well, but it takes changes at the youngest age groups. Iceland employ the best qualified coaches at the youngest levels.

Tim on talksport as i was driving home there having a moan at Strachans selection giving it for McGregor and Forrest , he said and I kid you not "James McArthur cant even get in a poor Everton team" Durham and Gough are just as clueless as they never even picked up on it.

3 hours ago, keithgersbear said:

If Iceland can qualify for tournaments and compete then absolutely no excuse for Scotland, it's just poor mentality, already storing excuses like Strachan using the tall bollocks. Scotland last night put in a disgraceful performance, instead of standing strong and making sure they win the game they capitulated. 

I watched the whole game  it was a gutless performance in the 2nd half

.as for the Tartan Army you could hardly hear them getting behind the side

4 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

I watched the whole game  it was a gutless performance in the 2nd half

.as for the Tartan Army you could hardly hear them getting behind the side

That's because they have about 3 songs, all of which are just shouting 'SCOTLAND' over and over but in a different tune each time

The most deluded piece came from a Herald journalist who stated picking players playing in the EPL and championship was misguided as those respective leagues were overrated. He of course lauded Griffiths as the 2nd coming,this being the player who could not make it at Wolves over 4 years ffs.

32 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

The most deluded piece came from a Herald journalist who stated picking players playing in the EPL and championship was misguided as those respective leagues were overrated. He of course lauded Griffiths as the 2nd coming,this being the player who could not make it at Wolves over 4 years ffs.

He has a point about them leagues being over rated imo.

Picking players just because they play in those leagues would be pretty misguided.

Just now, plumbGER said:

He has a point about them leagues being over rated imo.

Picking players just because they play in those leagues would be pretty misguided.

They are overrated but they are far superior than the SPL and the players are playing against tougher opposition week in week out

4 hours ago, keithgersbear said:

Iceland have a superb mentality and fight for each other. 

As for the Faroes.. We are away to Hungary tomorrow and we are going for the win. We want to finish 3rd in the group, which would be amazing for us. Just a shame we couldnt score on saturday... hit the post three times and missed sitters. Gutted.

Just now, bluedylan said:

They are overrated but they are far superior than the SPL and the players are playing against tougher opposition week in week out

Yeah mate, i realise that but football isn't quite as simple as that and picking players because they play in a better league rather than on individual merits doesn't sound right to me.