Expectations Yr 1?

markem

Stop losing at home, compete against the bheasts and actually beat them. Be within a shout of winning thebleague after the split.

I can decide if us being in Europe is a good or bad thing for his first season, might get taken out of our hands.

5 minutes ago, STRUTH82 said:

Stop losing at home, compete against the bheasts and actually beat them. Be within a shout of winning thebleague after the split.

I can decide if us being in Europe is a good or bad thing for his first season, might get taken out of our hands.

I’d say that’s fair if you add a cup. 

And a league title. 

I was thinking we have to be realistic and patient, in terms of winning the title in the first year, no matter what we spend players may need to time to acclimatise and gel but the more I think about it If we can improve quickly enough to get off to a winning start and not lose ground early and stay with them you never know, listening to Steven today and all week its inconceivable for me that we wont see a completely different team in terms of mentality, I think our biggest problem as much as a lack of quality is a lack of self belief which translate into lack of bottle or desire i expect that will change rapidly.

20 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

How long will it take to build a team capable of beating shite like Dundee st Johnstone motherwell Kilmarnock Patrick, if we had beat they teams regularly  this season we would be sitting top of the league right now. 

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect us to beat they teams regularly in SG first season, therefore it’s not unrealistic to expect us to win the league. 

Not that straight forward. Im taking the long term view. 

I have no expectations of SG except to bring a professionalism that has not been at our club since Sir Walter retired. What he will do in the league will depend on the money he is given by King and contacts that produce for him. I hope for the best.

This thread might have been more relevant posted on monday.

If there is no major, and I do mean major, investment announced, then the best we will ever achieve is second and we will be beaten out of most cups by them. That should have been the case this year but managerial and board incompetence fecked up even that. We need more than just ST cash, share issues and a few million loans to make a dent in that gap.

On the other hand, if King pulls major investment out of the hat, i dont much care where from, then i believe Gerrard is capable of putting together a squad that will challenge for everything. Maintaining a higher level is easier once we get up to it. Success breeds success and we can get the club profile away from the train wreck it has become. The tims are definitely beatable, but they are not the reason we didnt win the league this year. Its all the other teams we gave up points to. That must stop.

I hope im rejoicing and savouring the prospect of a real warchest on monday and not more sleight of hand from King. I cant see how he can do anything other than produce the goods but years as a bear have taught me to see it before believing it.

I think the expectations will be the same as they are every year no matter who the manager is.  Gerrard will be aware of that no doubt,  the guy’s a winner and won’t settle for 2nd best.

Exciting times, it’s good to feel enthused about what the club is doing again.

2 hours ago, Guardian said:

This thread might have been more relevant posted on monday.

If there is no major, and I do mean major, investment announced, then the best we will ever achieve is second and we will be beaten out of most cups by them. That should have been the case this year but managerial and board incompetence fecked up even that. We need more than just ST cash, share issues and a few million loans to make a dent in that gap.

On the other hand, if King pulls major investment out of the hat, i dont much care where from, then i believe Gerrard is capable of putting together a squad that will challenge for everything. Maintaining a higher level is easier once we get up to it. Success breeds success and we can get the club profile away from the train wreck it has become. The tims are definitely beatable, but they are not the reason we didnt win the league this year. Its all the other teams we gave up points to. That must stop.

I hope im rejoicing and savouring the prospect of a real warchest on monday and not more sleight of hand from King. I cant see how he can do anything other than produce the goods but years as a bear have taught me to see it before believing it.

Fuck sake never thought I would see the day when I agree with most of your post...

You feeling ok ? 

Edit- maybe I’m still drunk ? 

1st season - Buy 4 world class players a Gk , CD , AM and a 20 goals a season striker , beat them , don't lose any games at home , win atleast one of the cups and challenge for the title.  , 

2nd season - win title , beat them home and away , bring in more world class players. 

3rd season - qualify and compete at a good standard in CL , drop into Europa ... win it ! . Retain the title and win a cup , bring more world class players to Ibrox. 

4th season - progress to knockout stages of CL , retain title etc etc ....

A lot will depend on the investment and Monday may give us an idea. Even if it is a lot I don't want us overpaying. I don't think we are far off the present celtic team . However I expect them to respond to us and invest considerably. For that reason the minimum I would look for is a very close second, and a cup in the first season then the league in the second. One worry is if our refs keep performing the same way that does make it a lot harder.

Challenge for the SPFL title.  The Old Firm head to heads need to be more competitive.  Reaching the group stages of the Europa would be a big bonus.  I couldn't give a fuck about domestic cups.