Ross McCrorie - good enough?

graeme_4

1 minute ago, the brown brogue said:

His main issue as a defensive midfielder is his lack of defensive intelligence and anticipation. He sees the ball, reacts and dives in. If it works and he wins the ball and we keep possession, fine. However when it doesn't work he's out of the game on the deck while the opposition stroll into the empty space left behind.

A good defensive midfielder should be reading the play so they don't have to fly into last ditch tackles. 

Don't know if that's something that can be taught, or like a goalscorers instinct it's something you either have or you dont, but I'd trust Gerrard/McCallisters judgment if they think he can develop into an effective midfielder. 

Disagree with your assessment of him.

He has shown plenty of times in his short career in the first team that he is capable of reading a game and intercepting a pass or nipping in and winning the ball without going to ground.

Last night he dived in far too much but it was largely because our midfield shape across the three last night was nonsensical and all over the place.

57 minutes ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

If you’re good enough you’re old enough. Look at Tierney for the tramps. Played 100 odd games, captained them, won trebles, all at only 21. 

I bet you have spunk stained posters of him on your wall.

He's good at getting stuck in and putting in a tackle but I don't think he is good enough on the ball, be it passing, dribbling or controlling a game. People saying that Rossiter or Coulibally wouldn't be ahead of him are wrong imo. 

32 minutes ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

Because I can be objective about another team’s player? Fuck up ya reptile. 

I'm no the one swooning over the tarrier golden boy.

Ya reptile.

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Don’t think I referenced last night at all. Wind your neck in. 

He has a perfectly valid point, telling him to wind his neck in for it is not productive.

Yes last night wasn't the lads best game but I have seen the best of players have shit games and reset themselves and come back stronger. The lad is young, just coming into the first game he "HAS" to win as last year we were a disgrace and maybe he was in two minds about a lot of things.

Takes more than one shit game to be called out as being a cunt, hell windass has had three years.

5 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Might be a bit controversial, and I’ll start this off by saying I like him, I like his effort and I love having a genuine fan working his baws off for us (unlike some other ‘Rangers men’ in the squad) - but is he good enough? 

Not sure to be honest. 

He was woeful at CB and for me lacks anything too good going forward. Can’t really pick a pass. Doesn’t dictate the tempo of the game. Can’t grab the team by the scruff of the neck and drive us forward. All which you need to be a good holding midfielder. 

I’d imagine he’ll be under threat with Coulibally coming in as the ‘desroyer’ and you have to think Gerrard will be targeting some creativity in the middle of the park after last night -  So where does that leave him? 

He was the great white hope last week - this week he's pish.

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I think he will be a good defensive midfielder who wins the ball and plays a five yard pass to better players.

You need someone like that in your team I think the problem we have is we don’t have any creative players to give the ball to.

Agree.  McCrorie has still a lot to learn in the defensive midfield position such as not diving in, staying on his feet and in the positional sense.  However, he is young, has bags of potential and I think he will develop into a really good CDM.  You are correct in saying that he just needs to keep it simple and play short simple passes.  If he is galavanting upfield, trying to play defence splitting passes, as some seem to expect, he is not doing his job as a midfield anchorman imo.

5 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

gerrard feels differently

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2921938/Rangers-steven-gerrard-careless-ross-mccrorie/

BAD CHOICE 

Ross McCrorie at centre-back could have DESTROYED Rangers starlet’s career and was ‘careless’, says Steven Gerrard

The 20-year-old - now a holding midfielder - played in defence for much of last season with Pedro Caixinha even claiming he'd become one of Scotland's greatest defenders

VIDEO

By Aidan Scott

13th July 2018, 8:13 am

Updated: 13th July 2018, 8:14 am

STEVEN GERRARD has blasted the decision to play Ross McCrorie at centre-back last season, saying it could have “destroyed” his career.

Rangers star McCrorie was handed his first-team debut last season when he replaced Bruno Alves in the Betfred Cup quarter-final win over Partick Thistle.

What does Gerard know ? :pipe: 

If he’s fighting for the ball he’s fine but in games like last night when we have all the ball he contributes very little and his use of the ball was ridiculously safe , in and out the team I’d say letting him develope , when all are fit and ready I think the big lad from Angers will start and mcrorrie will be on the bench more often than not 

2 hours ago, Malvern said:

He has a perfectly valid point, telling him to wind his neck in for it is not productive.

Yes last night wasn't the lads best game but I have seen the best of players have shit games and reset themselves and come back stronger. The lad is young, just coming into the first game he "HAS" to win as last year we were a disgrace and maybe he was in two minds about a lot of things.

Takes more than one shit game to be called out as being a cunt, hell windass has had three years.

Not really, given my post wasn’t a reaction to last night at all and didn’t reference the game at any point. If anything it was more about Gerrard saying he’s bringing in a ‘destroyer’ because we don’t have that at the club. 

He called me a fucking idiot and told me to have a word with myself, so it’s not exactly one sided. 

Dont think that any Rangers fan thinks / has called him that. 

Excellent at breaking up play and seen him play some fantastic passes forward last season.

I think his issue at CDM is he isn’t good enough at being the link between defence and midfield when we’re try to play it out from the back, as he is not good at taking the ball on the half turn from the defenders. This is something I felt jack did very well at the start of last season. 

6 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Might be a bit controversial, and I’ll start this off by saying I like him, I like his effort and I love having a genuine fan working his baws off for us (unlike some other ‘Rangers men’ in the squad) - but is he good enough? 

Not sure to be honest. 

He was woeful at CB and for me lacks anything too good going forward. Can’t really pick a pass. Doesn’t dictate the tempo of the game. Can’t grab the team by the scruff of the neck and drive us forward. All which you need to be a good holding midfielder. 

I’d imagine he’ll be under threat with Coulibally coming in as the ‘desroyer’ and you have to think Gerrard will be targeting some creativity in the middle of the park after last night -  So where does that leave him? 

He is a kid learning his trade and will have a few lows during this time but he will certainly be good enough and hopefully part of our club as a mainstay for years 

6 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Not sure to be honest. 

I've been getting slaughtered for even questioning his potential but like yourself I just don't see where the hype is coming from.

His effort cannot be questioned, the lad gives 110% and more but the points you mentioned about being able to pick a pass, dictate temp and grab the game by the scruff of the neck are all points i've made myself.

A few have highlighted his age but that's a moot point for me, at the same age Barry Ferguson was doing everything we mentioned, picking passes, dictating tempo, controlling the midfield, McCrorie on occasions just looks lost.  I'm not saying he's not worthy of a place in the squad but for me that's all he is a decent squad player, the hype surrounding him just baffles me.

why wait till the first competitive game of a new season to say what you think about him then?

Funny how, when a player is injured he’s the messiah an the missing link etc. First misplaced pass an he’s shite, worse than tarriers some people on here

i actually believe you thought that about him last year but your so much of a shitebag, you bottled going against the grain in here by saying it incase any your wee girlfriends fell out wae you

your a fucking bam!