Lafferty shoehorned in the starting 11

graeme_4

5 minutes ago, Davhow said:

For me it's Morelos who's being shoehorned in. I would rather have lafferty start if our style means starting with a lone striker. 

Although he was starting to change my mind a bit I'm just not a fan and don't think he's what we need. I feel lafferty is a much better fit. 

How can somebody who has started every game so far be shoehorned in?

7 hours ago, plumbGER said:

Meh, he can't be expected to do much if the rest of the team can't get the ball up to him, middle to front we were woeful.

This 100%. How can we judge him when he got fuck all service. I think the Morelos/Lafferty combination deserves a chance to bed in when our midfield isn't collapsing like a pack of cards.

1 hour ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Imagine watching that yesterday and thinking Lafferty was our best player at any point in that game. Fucking hell.

First half I thought Arfield was probably our best player he' seemed up for it I usually slate him as well for sitting off the game unless we are attacking.

We can’t just play the same formation week in week out or use the same personnel but what brought us success early on has been replaced since Lafferty signed. This has largely been due to Murphy’s injury that leaves just Kent and Candeias as wide players when we could interchange them between domestic and Euro games.  The new signing will help with that selection again and I’d like us to go back to one through the middle and two wide. However, it’s not all on Lafferty, the aforementioned two wide players have offered little end product this season and the last third has to be improved upon with immediate effect.  

I would've started with Kent on the left, Candeias on the right and brought Lafferty on to replace Morelos on the 65th minute. 

And if we had saved enough energy, that would have given us a chance to get something from the game. Playing both Lafferty and Morelos was a mistake and always will be, unless it's both upfront. 

3 hours ago, Smile said:

I thought he was poor again had a chance to square it for a goal took on a stupid shot from a difficult angle Lafferty came back worked tirelessly at the back in the middle also won some headers in their box.   

Morelos should have came on second half when we had a bit of the game it could have worked for us, he does nothing against the filth.

Vital to winning the league though, so we hear..

44 minutes ago, jintybear said:

Everybody, except Gerrard apparently, knows Tav needs Candieas to play alongside him. As soon as I saw the line-up yesterday I knew it was going to be a long game ?

Said this to my mate when I picked him up and he read out the team. If we drop Candeias then we'd be as well dropping Tav as well.

Candeias bails Tav out more often than some of our fans would like to admit.

1 hour ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Said this to my mate when I picked him up and he read out the team. If we drop Candeias then we'd be as well dropping Tav as well.

Candeias bails Tav out more often than some of our fans would like to admit.

Not about admitting anything, they both compliment each other in defense and attack, without Tav, Candeias doesn't get as many assists or should we forget about that?

7 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Not about admitting anything, they both compliment each other in defense and attack, without Tav, Candeias doesn't get as many assists or should we forget about that?

I agree. 

I think Candeias has been fairly inconsistent recently, probably doesn't help he's been in and out of the team but one of the more positive elements of last season was it looked like the two of them had forged an understanding which was effective in both attack and defense. For a game like yesterday's, though, I think it was a mistake not to make the most of that understanding.

Would also agree with the OP in that Kent should have been allowed to get at Lustig. Lustig is rotten, but punting balls at the big lanky streak of piss is one area in which he won't struggle and I think having Lafferty up there ended up becoming a bit of a crutch for our players to just punt the ball in his general direction.

We might have been better served putting Lafferty wide right - he'd be pretty much ineffective there with the ball at his feet but for 45mins all we did was punt it at him anyway, so he'd have been better challenging Tierney in the air.

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Tav compliments Candeias in attack, he's still a threat on his own though.

Candeias helps Tav in defence and without him Tav struggles more often than not.

There's the difference.

Just now, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Tav compliments Candeias in attack, he's still a threat on his own though.

Candeias helps Tav in defence and without him Tav struggles more often than not.

There's the difference.

Disagree, without Tave Candeias has no one to play off in attack and they work well when they 'tag team' defenders, seem to have an innate ability to know where each other is all the time.  

Did Gerrard do his homework on Lafferty before signing him or was it a decision made outwith his hands.

For all his height, Lafferty is not a target man, cannot hold up the ball and invariably gets his feet tangled up under him. He needs to be played through the middle and not wide left (or right).  

Not sure Lafferty and Morelos will be the best strike force, maybe it is either or.  Hearts were playing Lafferty as first substitute and maybe Gerrard should do the same.