Rangers scarf in the coffin

The Widow's Son

Sadly one of my cousins passed fairly recently, difficult time and looking back it’s not funny however recall the tension being momentarily lifted between my cousins and me when someone said ‘his Mum wants him buried in this years kit, who the fuck is going to explain this to her?’

Absent friends - may they all rest in peace 

9 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Many years ago, I attended a funeral in Scotland - paid my respects at the home of the deceased and his family were big bluenoses.  There was a Rangers scarf in the coffin.  The deceased also wore a lodge tie and a Rangers lapel badge  a Just a quick question: does this still happen in auld Scotia?  Somehow it seems to belong to a different age and yet it's comforting for us auld yins.  Apologies beforehand if this brings up sad memories for anyone.  

Yes if they are buried re the badges, if it’s a burning the undertaker would remove anything metal before the lid was screwed down for the last time

One of my brothers passed with cancer. Unbeknown to me he wrote the speech for the wake - he selected the music, 'Simply The Best' at our Presbyterian church. 

In his coffin, I found out he insisted on his Rangers top (McEwan's Lager). And his favourite badge; 2 balls & a cane (for those that may not know):

images (22).jpeg

11 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Loved reading the responses to this post.  Sometimes when you live away from Scotland and come from another time period, you tend to think that the fans are not as strong or staunch as they were in your day.  No evidence of this in these posts.

No worries there m8 , on the park and in the boardroom we've not been worthy of Rangers but our troubles have seen the fans rally and their loyalty and dedication  has been nothing short of astonishing .

Done it for my gran, ensured i was the last one in. Had to be done she was a dyed in the wool. It gives me great comfort knowing she was sent off with it. I believe she would have expected me to. 

Fast forward a year or so, having a conversation with my uncle (her son) he was upset he never thought of it but delighted knowing i did. For me its a must.  

11 hours ago, markem said:

Sadly one of my cousins passed fairly recently, difficult time and looking back it’s not funny however recall the tension being momentarily lifted between my cousins and me when someone said ‘his Mum wants him buried in this years kit, who the fuck is going to explain this to her?’

Absent friends - may they all rest in peace 

Had me giggling there momentarily mate. Sorry for your loss. 

My grandparents were buried with their lodge sashes back in the 1970s, my dad with his Masonic regalia and my mum with her old Rangers scarf dating back to the 50s.

When It's my time I'll probably just get burned at the stake for being another person who dared to vote NO!

48 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

My grandparents were buried with their lodge sashes back in the 1970s, my dad with his Masonic regalia and my mum with her old Rangers scarf dating back to the 50s.

When It's my time I'll probably just get burned at the stake for being another person who dared to vote NO!

Closest thing to present day Covenanters mate.

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 08:17, bluenose_n1 said:

My cousin died in 2010 and he was in Rangers top with his name on the back

his collarette and for some reason his mum gave him £100 to take with him

also put my uefa cup final ticket in with him 

Whem my grampa died my 9 cousins all agreed to put a tenner in each, they gave me the money and I put a £100 cheque in the coffin. God bless you Gramps  

On 15/09/2018 at 17:57, piperpete said:

Yes if they are buried re the badges, if it’s a burning the undertaker would remove anything metal before the lid was screwed down for the last time

and anything alcoholic.

Ive never been in the army but still want a Union Flag over my coffin.