24hrs of meltdown

bordersbear

5 hours ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

So heres the question? If we are, all of a sudden, so shite and folks are going into meltdown, how come after last Sunday we were so brilliant, and everything in the garden was So rosey? Surely 1 defeat against a decent to good side doesn't swing that pendulum from one extreme to another in just 7 days? Or is the truth more like that we have fans who are either A) Bipolar, or B) Have the emotional state of a 13 year old adolescent schoolgirl?

I think some people just need to grow up a bit, and get a bit of mental maturity about them.

Don't make me throw a coin at the back of your head!

In hindsight I’m even more pissed off than I was on Sunday.

Think we should have kept our 4-3-3 and our centre half pairing. 

There’s still a nagging worry for me that we’ve signed a squad of players without the mental attributes to go and win games week in week out - what you need to do to win a title. Hopefully I’m wrong.

I’ll add that because this team hasn’t won anything yet I think that we are more prone to swinging emotions when we go from one week to bad.

We’ve had so many false dawns in the past few years - including two periods last season.

Under Walter we always were good for one or two really poor performances. I remember the last season we won the title we got pumped off a terrible Hibs side and it was one of the poorest performances i’d seen. But you always knew we would be there or there about a at the end of the season. This team hasn’t really earned there stripes in that way yet.

That result on Sunday has fucked me, iv been giving all things football a miss the past couple of days as I just couldn't get my head round it, iv come on here today for a quick read and to see if I can get the juices flowing again, by Thursday I'll have it back, Sunday took the stuffing out me. 

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’ll add that because this team hasn’t won anything yet I think that we are more prone to swinging emotions when we go from one week to bad.

We’ve had so many false dawns in the past few years - including two periods last season.

Under Walter we always were good for one or two really poor performances. I remember the last season we won the title we got pumped off a terrible Hibs side and it was one of the poorest performances i’d seen. But you always knew we would be there or there about a at the end of the season. This team hasn’t really earned there stripes in that way yet.

I remember people constantly calling for Smith’s head after any bad result, which seems mental in hindsight, but it just proves my previous point about how common over dramatic and knee jerk reactions can be on forums.

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

We had quite a few  poor performances per season under Walter but what his team did have was an ability to grind out results when playing poor.

I ‘ve seen nothing so far to suggest this team has that ability.

15 hours ago, James Rolle said:

It does on here.  Being critical is about debating the managers tactics, formation, substitutions, players attitude or performances. That’s fine, and yes, fans are rightfully choosing to vent. When the patter becomes ‘sack the manager’, ‘he’ll never get it right’, ‘as bad as Pedro’, ‘ it was the same with Murty’, ‘Gerrard should never have been manager with his experience’, ‘we need to ask Walter back immediately’, etc....ad infinitum,  then that is also a fucking overreaction or Meltdown. 

Give him time! Or not. But don’t fucking put him on a pedestal after a few games and then kick him off it when we hit a bump or two. 

He needs to get the formula right but he’s one manager I would give time to. Don’t expect miracles immediately. 

I agree with your point 

there has to be a balance, ive seen folk over reacting and saying sack him which is ridiculous. At the same time I know folk that are so starstruck with Gerrard and think hes this perfect manager which is also ridiculous.

Folk need to back the manager but there will be times when he'll rightfully come under criticism and fans need to stop jumping from one extreme to the next. We have not had a great start to the season, we've done well in Europe but Europe is a bonus and the league is all that matters and the manager will receive criticism if we don't perform in the league regardless if hes Steven Gerrard or not

14 hours ago, Bears r us said:

If we cannot say we are annoyed on RM after a game when we played as poor as we surely could play then what is the point of the forum. :duh:

I personally thought we were better than we obviously are and now realise that we can expect that kind of game at any time for a while to come. That does not mean I think Stevie G will not turn out good for us, I just wish he would stop tinkering with the team so much. While Europe is great, the league is still the main thing for me and I would imagine for most other fans as well.

The disappointment of yesterday will be gone by Thursday and looking forward to a full and rocking Ibrox on Thursday night.  

?

Top post Bud .... swings and roundabouts .... hot and cold .... good and bad ...... the everyday mood swings of being a Rangers supporter I suppose ... but come Thursday the expectancy levels will rise again as you say and we will have forgotten about Sunday and will cheer our Club on .... as we always do.

Like you I believe the league is paramount (this season or the next) for two main reasons .... 1/ to stop the scum's title run being the most important objective .... 2/ to get to the Champions league again where the really big money is.

:UK:

I’ve tried not to comment since Saturday, mainly because I know I can be guilty of overreacting to one good or bad result, I guess that’s the emotion of football! 

Looking back to Saturday it was of course an extremely disappointing result and the fans have every right to voice their displeasure, but while Livingston are a team we should be beating they were in my opinion one of the most well organised teams I’ve seen in the last few years and have had a very good start to the season.

Our home and European form has been very good, I just think Gerard’s inexperience is showing away from home. I don’t believe he knows his best team yet, as shown by some strange team selections and rotation that’s probably not needed. Players who are on form need to continue to start imo dropping a player who was motm the game before doesn’t send a good message and while a players high on confidence he should be playing every game. I also think he’s having trouble balancing the need to be maybe a bit more cautious away without showing too much respect and asserting ourselves as the dominant team, who should with the players we’ve got and the money we’ve paid still be controlling the match and playing our game. He’s making mistakes, but let’s be realistic we can’t appoint a rookie manager and expect him not to make some, the test will be if he learns from them. I’ve no doubt he’s shown signs he will become a top manager, but at this club he’s going to have to learn fast.

4 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

We had quite a few  poor performances per season under Walter but what his team did have was an ability to grind out results when playing poor.

I ‘ve seen nothing so far to suggest this team has that ability.

Could that be that your comparing teams of multi million pound internationals to a bunch of loanees youngsters and budget buys new to the mincer that Scottish hoofball has become?   

57 minutes ago, Bertent said:

Could that be that your comparing teams of multi million pound internationals to a bunch of loanees youngsters and budget buys new to the mincer that Scottish hoofball has become?   

The ability to grind out wins isn’t purely about Skill but sometimes more to do with will to win and desire..

Hearts seem to be managing it ok just now.New squad and new to the mincer that is Scottish football.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

?

Top post Bud .... swings and roundabouts .... hot and cold .... good and bad ...... the everyday mood swings of being a Rangers supporter I suppose ... but come Thursday the expectancy levels will rise again as you say and we will have forgotten about Sunday and will cheer our Club on .... as we always do.

Like you I believe the league is paramount (this season or the next) for two main reasons .... 1/ to stop the scum's title run being the most important objective .... 2/ to get to the Champions league again where the really big money is.

:UK:

Could not agree more. :cheers:

2 hours ago, Bristol loyal said:

I’ve tried not to comment since Saturday, mainly because I know I can be guilty of overreacting to one good or bad result, I guess that’s the emotion of football! 

Looking back to Saturday it was of course an extremely disappointing result and the fans have every right to voice their displeasure, but while Livingston are a team we should be beating they were in my opinion one of the most well organised teams I’ve seen in the last few years and have had a very good start to the season.

Our home and European form has been very good, I just think Gerard’s inexperience is showing away from home. I don’t believe he knows his best team yet, as shown by some strange team selections and rotation that’s probably not needed. Players who are on form need to continue to start imo dropping a player who was motm the game before doesn’t send a good message and while a players high on confidence he should be playing every game. I also think he’s having trouble balancing the need to be maybe a bit more cautious away without showing too much respect and asserting ourselves as the dominant team, who should with the players we’ve got and the money we’ve paid still be controlling the match and playing our game. He’s making mistakes, but let’s be realistic we can’t appoint a rookie manager and expect him not to make some, the test will be if he learns from them. I’ve no doubt he’s shown signs he will become a top manager, but at this club he’s going to have to learn fast.

Livi were indeed well organised and by a manager who has only been with them for 5 or so games.

22 hours ago, superallysbears said:

That result on Sunday has fucked me, iv been giving all things football a miss the past couple of days as I just couldn't get my head round it, iv come on here today for a quick read and to see if I can get the juices flowing again, by Thursday I'll have it back, Sunday took the stuffing out me. 

It’s wednesday now and I am still scunnered with that performance and result. 

Meltdown? Maybe. The players we fielded on Sunday were good enough to get a result. They just didn’t show up and I fully believe it was the pitch that got in their heads. After the injury to Jamie Murphy I think our team absolutely shat it on that pitch and didn’t want to get injured. 

It has been said time and again that when this team plays with bravery we are amongst the best in the league but when we play with fear and nervousness you get Sunday. 

These players need to start believing in themselves and understand what playing for this club requires. I think Gerrard gets it but he needs to instill it in his team and that is taking more time than we have available. 

I actually think the meltdown this week was a bit contained ??

Normally, this is the process - 

1. Game ends - Rangers get beat 

2. Immediately comments on the match thread rip into a combination of the team, manager and/or ref

3. Within an hour of match individual player threads start popping up ripping into his form, diet, marrying an earl etc

4. The obligatory ref’s a cheat thread is also sprung within the hour

5. The manager ‘wanks dugs’ thread follows soon after

6. deep into the evening mindless alternative playing selection/formation thread begins

7. Players who didn’t play get debated and how they were missed and could’ve been the saviour. This week it was AH ??

8. Next morning is the obligatory every media outlet ‘is at it’ thread even though most of what they said about performances, team selection etc have already been commented on in here 

9. Monday - and the first ‘recovery thread’ surfaces. It starts along the lines of “while we were shite on Saturday if Coulibaly is back .........

10. Lead up to next fixture and our opponents are getting pumped with match betting threads predicting 5-0 or 6-0 to the teddies 

can’t beat a week in RM after a defeat ???

I am optimistic in Gerrards long time appointment with us but the results don't lie.

We aren't doing great at the moment and I think we are within our rights to question the team and manager. I like candieas as a winger for example but the manager keeps trying to shoe horn him into this attacking midfielder role which is evident for all to see that he isn't. 

Hopefully it's just still the gaffer getting to grips with the squad but it is slightly unnerving.