substitutions

bluenoz

When was the last time we went an entire game without making a substitution? It is old school thinking for sure. But personally, I agreed with it. I didn't see anyone on the bench that would have changed the outcome. An arguement could be made for Morelos as he was on a tightrope but he was also the best chance to getting us a winner. Jack was poor and could have been replaced by Mccrorie or Coulibaly or Halliday for Barisic but I think Gerrard was scared to upset the balance in a game which could have went either way. It doesn't happen often, that's for sure.

The only sub that would have made any sense was Morelos for Defoe purely on the basis that Morelos was on a yellow, had made a couple of fouls & Clancy would have loved to send him off.

The problem being that we weren't creating enough for Defoe to be as effective so it made sense to have Morelos doing the running up top.

In hindsight I think Gerrard did the right thing, that game was a battlefield and a real test of character, we'll benefit greatly from it,  a subs coming on could have gone either way, regardless of how well they played, it was still a big team effort to get through it. Lafferty's been poor recently coming on, and it wasn't a game for Defoe. And if it had gone wrong Gerrard would have been slated. 

Maybe he said at half time something along the lines of 'you lot got us into this shit mess of a first half so all of you will dig us out of it 2nd half - no hiding and don't think I'm going to make it easy for you to escape the fire by subbing you.    You need to recover the game'  

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If Morelos had picked up a 2nd yellow then Gerrard would have faced huge criticism. Still not sure whether not subbing him was stupid, genius, naive, brave or whatever. Got away with it though.

From a man management point of view it tell Morelos he trusts him. Thankfully he didn't throw that back in his favw.

Even I should have been put on for Ryan Jack, he was absolutely horrendous. 

You also don't need to just make a change due to personnel. 

For me, with how bad we were playing, it made no sense to leave the side unchanged. 

3 hours ago, tannerall said:

In hindsight I think Gerrard did the right thing, that game was a battlefield and a real test of character, we'll benefit greatly from it,  a subs coming on could have gone either way, regardless of how well they played, it was still a big team effort to get through it. Lafferty's been poor recently coming on, and it wasn't a game for Defoe. And if it had gone wrong Gerrard would have been slated. 

A battlefield, so why was our most physical player left on the bench then?

4 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If Morelos had picked up a 2nd yellow then Gerrard would have faced huge criticism. Still not sure whether not subbing him was stupid, genius, naive, brave or whatever. Got away with it though.

Could've been willing to lose him for the next round, play Defoe, and then get him back for the final should we get there? (if that's how it'd work) Still think he should've been off for Lafferty though, he would've thrown himself about in the box looking to win anything without being a risky loss.

55 minutes ago, Smile said:

We needed changes Gerrard looks lost at times today was one of those times.

I believe that if Gerrard made substitutions for the sake of it today then we possibly may have lost at which case he would have been slated. A replay is a good score. We will win the replay. No subs was the right decision.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I believe that if Gerrard made substitutions for the sake of it today then we possibly may have lost at which case he would have been slated. A replay is a good score. We will win the replay. No subs was the right decision.

A replay isn't good enough though. 

4 hours ago, BlueAvenger said:

Would have put on McCrorie for Jack who I thought had a nightmare. 

Same, thought Jack had the worst game I've seen him have yet. He just had one of those days. I think he was supposed to be playing box to box  so I would've put on Halliday instead of McCrorie though. 

10 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I believe that if Gerrard made substitutions for the sake of it today then we possibly may have lost at which case he would have been slated. A replay is a good score. We will win the replay. No subs was the 

A manager has to make brave decisions today Gerrard did nothing.

We have won one game out of five against Aberdeen so I do not share your optimism