Gerrard bottled it

KeyserSoze

2 hours ago, B1872 said:

We have the blueprint to beat the tarriers, press them high, plenty of pace on the wings. Still can’t get my head round why the fuck we’d change that!!!!

My thoughts exactly- I thought Gerrard had cracked it with the Ibrox of games last season with the press and getting at them out wide. We utterly battered them both games. Then to fundamentally change that with that bizarre team selection? I literally have zero clue what his rationale was there or even what it could be. Worrying 

Gerrard fuckin shitebag. From 10.50 am this morning when the team announcement filtered through all sense of optimism died. 

No wingers against the well known problem full back areas of our opponents? Wtf you dimwit shitebag?

Either he doesn't know what it takes to win a league title or he's just fuckin hopeless.

Half decent euro runs are fine. Useless league tactics and team selection are unforgivable

He fucking bamboozled me with his tactics his starting line up and the first of his subsitutions. I can't for life of me see where he thought any of it was going to work and why he strayed away from the way we have lined up and been so successful with since the end of last season and the start of this one. 

9 hours ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

He fucking bamboozled me with his tactics his starting line up and the first of his subsitutions. I can't for life of me see where he thought any of it was going to work and why he strayed away from the way we have lined up and been so successful with since the end of last season and the start of this one. 

It’s this that  still sits uneasy with me. A massive game where he decided to bow down and instead of playing our game set us up to play their game 

10 hours ago, Sweettartangirl said:

Top one was today's formation

Bottom is May. 

Severe high peeve. 

Screenshot_2019-09-01-23-06-38.jpg

Screenshot_2019-09-01-23-05-59.jpg

Until I looked at that I didn't realise how similar the line ups were in terms of personell. Apart from the keeper it's Aribo on for Kent.  Did we not sign 11 players ?

31 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

It’s this that  still sits uneasy with me. A massive game where he decided to bow down and instead of playing our game set us up to play their game 

He has shat it there can be no other reason , he talks about leadership,  standing up and being counted etc , then when it really mattered instead of going man for man against them and  saying heres my best team let's see if you tarrier bastards can deal with it , hes been far to negative , left us with no width or out ball , them to compound that , the players have all shat it too 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Neither Aribo or Arfield played as wide strikers yesterday. If anything our shape was more similar to May than an outright 4-3-3. 

Aribo was most certainly wide and high up the pitch. He looked like a fish out of water and that's on the manager. Arfield played his usual role until Aribo and Kamara went off then he dropped to midfield. He looks weary already, needs a rest these next two weeks 

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Neither Aribo or Arfield played as wide strikers yesterday. If anything our shape was more similar to May than an outright 4-3-3. 

Regardless of the formation that team selection was a total clusterfuck and was never going to work. Lennon would have been clapping his hands when he saw it. 

1 minute ago, MartinGers93 said:

Regardless of the formation that team selection was a total clusterfuck and was never going to work. Lennon would have been clapping his hands when he saw it. 

Worked in May and can see why Gerrard went back to it. Big issue was lack of width on the left. 

As much as Lennon would have been 'clapping his hands' at the lineup, it took a fuck up from our cb to give them an opportunity. 

You take that out and they never looked like scoring. 

5 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

Aribo was most certainly wide and high up the pitch. He looked like a fish out of water and that's on the manager. Arfield played his usual role until Aribo and Kamara went off then he dropped to midfield. He looks weary already, needs a rest these next two weeks 

He definitely wasnt wide on the left. Their right back had so much room because Flanagan is scared to go beyond halfway and Aribo was far too central. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Worked in May and can see why Gerrard went back to it. Big issue was lack of width on the left. 

As much as Lennon would have been 'clapping his hands' at the lineup, it took a fuck up from our cb to give them an opportunity. 

The fuck up came about because there was no outball for Goldson in a heavily crowded midfield. Nobody to hit down the line. Even if Alfie had  started in that formation he can at least run the channels and bully his way back inside. 

If I'm being honest my heart sank a bit at the team news. If the fans were down you can bet the opposite is true for the opposition. 

Just now, trueblueal said:

The fuck up came about because there was no outball for Goldson in a heavily crowded midfield. Nobody to hit down the line. Even if Alfie had  started in that formation he can at least run the channels and bully his way back inside. 

If I'm being honest my heart sank a bit at the team news. If the fans were down you can bet the opposite is true for the opposition. 

The fuck up came because Goldsons attempted pass was atrocious. If theres not an outball then get it to fuck, dont try be cute and play an unneccessary pass where there isnt one on.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

He definitely wasnt wide on the left. Their right back had so much room because Flanagan is scared to go beyond halfway and Aribo was far too central. 

He was out there because he was supposed to be out left sided outball but also capable of stepping inside and stiffening the midfield. 

Basically I think the coaches over thought things. Tried to be too clever and confused our own players instead of the opposition

Just now, The Dude said:

The fuck up came because Goldsons attempted pass was atrocious. If theres not an outball then get it to fuck, dont try be cute and play an unneccessary pass where there isnt one on.

I agree completely he should have launched it but all day we looked to our usual out balls and they weren't there. We made it easy to get pressed and harassed because too much went central. It was a poorly thought out gameplan 

Just now, The Dude said:

Aye it worked because we had width but yesterday we had zero width to attack their weakest areas so it was never working. It might have took a fuck up for them to score but you know goldson’s always got a fuck up or two in a game and low and behold we conceded because of it. Gerrard never gave us a chance yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

We didn’t look like scoring either, which is completely unacceptable in a game where we had a great chance to lay down a marker. 

They didn’t look like scoring yet won 2-0 away to their biggest rivals. That’s what champions do. 

When Goldson took that ball up the pitch not one of our 5 midfielders was in space to receive a pass and our centre forward is no target man. We lacked variety with the game compressed into the middle and even when it did go wide to Aribo he looked lost in an unfamiliar position. 

Goldson should have shelled it up the pitch and took the boos he would have received but tried to force a pass. It was a poor decision but a product of the way we set up. 

2 minutes ago, fanaticCR said:

We didn’t look like scoring either, which is completely unacceptable in a game where we had a great chance to lay down a marker. 

They didn’t look like scoring yet won 2-0 away to their biggest rivals. That’s what champions do. 

We didnt. It had 0-0 written all over it until Goldsons mistake. 

Despite how superior some insist they were yesterday. Both teams were rotten and it took a mistake and then us throwing everyone forward in injury tine for them to score. 

If thats what champions do then they wont be champions for long. 

Tav is really really missing a player in front of him.  Someone to play off. 

He didn’t once hit the by line and look for a ball to run onto. 

Their first goal was screaming out for Tav to take to the wing and for Goldson to clip it forward over heads onto him. Instead Tav stood static Goldson got stuck with no out ball as Tav didn’t move his hole for it  

now he’s either been told to not belt down the wing or made some wrong decisions  

there were three or four times yesterday that Tav could have went hunting- I’m not blaming Tav I just think the gaffer didn’t want that yesterday  

Just now, The Dude said:

We didnt. It had 0-0 written all over it until Goldsons mistake. 

Despite how superior some insist they were yesterday. Both teams were rotten and it took a mistake and then us throwing everyone forward in injury tine for them to score. 

If thats what champions do then they wont be champions for long. 

I’ve not said they were amazing, they still kept a clean sheet and won in their toughest away fixture. 

Certainly doesn’t look like changing anytime soon, they’ve not lost at home in 4 year in the league is it? 

1 minute ago, fanaticCR said:

I’ve not said they were amazing, they still kept a clean sheet and won in their toughest away fixture. 

Certainly doesn’t look like changing anytime soon, they’ve not lost at home in 4 year in the league is it? 

They lost at home to Aberdeen in May 2018 in last game of the season in the league to let Aberdeen finish ahead of us l in second.