Full backs.

beararse

56 minutes ago, beararse said:

Here’s another reason why Tav and Barisic should be out that team….

Can anyone recall either of them flattening some cunt at any point in their Rangers careers?

For a defender, that’s a terrible indictment.

I honestly can’t recall either putting in a really hard challenge, fair or otherwise, on anyone, EVER.

Do you want Flanagan back!?

Borna has a lovely left peg although it is very weak lately. His crosses and free kicks have become powder puff. But he's not actually fast meaning he can't dribble very well. I think he has become a bit predictable and actually slows the play down with too many three yard passes.

He is a good player but he needs to adapt and change his style a bit. The current way is no longer working.

As many of you know, I have never been James Tavernier greatest fan. This time last year until about Christmas he was outstanding. The rest of his Rangers career, he has been about a 6/10

But RM likes to make cult players. Tav is one, Lee Wallace was another. Both good full backs but highly overrated.

Give me a Jardine, Robertson, Stevens, Papac any day. They were proper full backs.

As for Borna, I'm torn on him but right now, he is awful.

Barisic was an empty jersey yet again and they clearly targeted him second half. A few of our players also having a go at him.

This club is too big for him. He's unreliable, a poor defender and time he was moved on. 

As for Tav, another who has run his course here imo. Weak defensively and his forays forward no longer working out.

The system of playing in wide balls is no longer working. The oppo have sussed this and easy to close down and if they do make it into the box, we have no one with the stature to get on the end of them.

They played a big part in our title winning, but I think its over for them and sadly they are not alone. Not doing it against weaker opposition isn't good enough. We need better. Patterson and Bassey are better options and what they lack in experience they make up in mentality and physicality, both of which sadly lacking last night. 

Our format needs seriously freshened up. 

Said it a few times on here already over the past year, mostly after we played Hibs, but Barisic is shocking defensively. Switches off constantly, is always a yard off the pace and I can’t remember the last time he won a challenge.

Going forward he is usually an asset, so I understand what he brings to the team, but he’s been miles off it for this season so far so I don’t see why we don’t give Bassey a run, looked hungry and energetic v Livingston, which is more than we can say for Borna at the minute.

Just now, ScottBF2 said:

Said it a few times on here already over the past year, mostly after we played Hibs, but Barisic is shocking defensively. Switches off constantly, is always a yard off the pace and I can’t remember the last time he won a challenge.

Going forward he is usually an asset, so I understand what he brings to the team, but he’s been miles off it for this season so far so I don’t see why we don’t give Bassey a run, looked hungry and energetic v Livingston, which is more than we can say for Borna at the minute.

15 assists last season. 

"Usually an asset". 

2 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

Well yes, he is usually an asset. Yesterday he wasn’t, he was fucking hopeless.

I don’t see how that’s difficult to understand.

Take him out the side our whole left side is fucked because Bassey can just run and that's all he can do, his end product is woeful. 

I love the pair of them but their understudies deserve a shout. 

Basseys only really criticism is his crossing ability whereas Patterson has it all. 

Our play is critical with our FBs, when they’re both off form we struggle extremely badly

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Take him out the side our whole left side is fucked because Bassey can just run and that's all he can do, his end product is woeful. 

Everyone bar Alfie including the keeper was a disaster last night. Barasic had the same type of game 90 percent of them had. 

When things don't go well it's the same names that come up as it did before last season. 

I still don’t see where me saying Barisic is usually an asset is a problem here.

This season, so far, Barisic has had no end product to speak of. Aside from one cross yesterday where the defender made a great block to deny Morelos he was hopeless. Couldn’t beat his man, balls into the box were piss poor and he was constantly caught out at the back. If Borna is having a good game going forward we can deal with him being caught out because he is usually an asset in the final third, but right now he isn’t. Tav is in the same boat right now, Livingston aside he has been well off it.

5 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

Everyone bar Alfie including the keeper was a disaster last night. Barasic had the same type of game 90 percent of them had. 

When things don't go well it's the same names that come up as it did before last season. 

His deficiencies are always there as a player, he’s never been great defensively. But when he’s offering nothing going the other way then things need to change. We can’t afford to just wait it out and hope another St Mirren freekick comes along to boost his confidence again. Give him a rocket up his arse and let Bassey have a couple of games - I’m not saying that he’s a better player going forward but at least he can be solid at the back and we’re leaking goals like fuck at the minute.

And let’s not forget, this is a thread to talk about the fullbacks so obviously their name is going to come up.

6 hours ago, five stars said:

Do you want Flanagan back!?

See tbh if we had a more defensive full back it might force us to go through the middle for a change. For about 30 mins of the second half all we done was Davis Aribo Barisic, cross Goldson, Tav, Wright, Tav cross

Our whole system revolves around full backs being like wingers and either attacking space or getting balls into the box. Both are failing miserably and as captain and 2 experienced pros it's unacceptable.

Neither has had any positive impact this season. Both have been awol at goals. Neither seems raring to go.

In play crosses woeful, corners abysmal and edge of box free kicks scandalous.

I'd play Patterson and Bassey on Friday. If they play well then the jerseys should be theirs to lose. And that includes for the scum game if they play well v RC.

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

15 assists last season. 

"Usually an asset". 

I’d hazard a guess that over the course of a season the number of defensive lapses/powder puff challenges leading to goals against  runs parallel with his assists. 

When the assists dry up but the poor defending remains that makes him a liability rather than an asset.

Plus, the 15 assists were last season.

Thats in the past.

Also mentioned on here numerous times on RM that he’s the Croatian left back as if that’s justification to play him.

1. He’s hardly a regular in the international team m, and

2. They might have shite left backs.

It’s Bassey for me, until he makes a cunt of it or Barisic suddenly develops pace, defending ability and heart. 

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

As is Bornas at present, from open play and even worse at set pieces. On a like for like basis, I'll take the guy who can just run but gives 100% over the guy who isn't even offering that.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Biggest load of pish I've read on here which is crazy as @JuliusC just posted one of the worst posts ever on here a few posts back.

You reckon?

How may times is he posted missing at the back post, or tucking in rather than going to his or simply posted missing in action?

Brandon Barker gave 100%...

Well that's a ridiculous comparison.

Borna and Tav both offering nothing from open play. Neither look fully up for it, not sure if it's fitness or mentality. Their corners have been shocking and free kicks abysmal. 

I talk to my kids about impact moments in games, not just goals / assists. So far, their impacts are all negative with opportunities wasted not taken. Both are as bad as each other. They've offered nothing.

The 2 kids have shown energy and enthusiasm already this season. Their quality is no worse than the senior 2. 

But aye. Brandon Barker.

11 hours ago, beararse said:

On current form (including the 2nd half of last season) I’d get Barasic and Tav to fuck out that team.

I’ve thought that for some time so it’s not a knee jerk reaction to tonight’s capitulation.

Neither can defend that well and we rely solely on them hitting in crosses. Problem is they generally do so from a standing position these days and seldom on the run or after hitting the byline.

Both Bassey and Patterson are arguably better defenders (Patterson definitely is), are far more physical and more direct and varied in their play.

I can’t recall Barisic beating a defender for pace, getting to the byline or cutting infield for example. 

We don’t need to keep Barasic or Tav in the starting line up on the basis they will score a great free kick once in a blue moon.

Tav’s body language is horrendous as he mooches around when things aren’t going well (was on show tonight) and Barisic is a bit of a pussy when it comes to being on the receiving end of a challenge (again, on show tonight).

I’m sick of watching the two of them. 

99% correct mate, aside from Heading should be FOOL BACKS