Are captains needed in the modern game?

Should we get rid of the captains armband?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Captains?

• Aye
    • Naw
    • Rotating armband.

Every successful team has a number of unofficial captains on the pitch but one clear leader in the style of Butcher, Gough or Greig. 

Our best team in my lifetime in the early 90s epitomised this with Goram, Brown, Davie Robertson, McCall, Ian Ferguson, Hateley, and even McCoist as leaders on the pitch. 

19 hours ago, EMRFC said:

We don’t see what goes on behind closed doors, the captain will have a ton of responsibilities off the pitch and around the training ground. So yes, of course we need a captain.

When oneill took over the tarriers, boyd was the captain, eventually oneill made lambert the onfield captain and boyd remained as club captain, 

We could easily do both, tav maybe a model professional off the park, does all the captain stuff outside of games, but on the park, he definitely lacks the captains traits, 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

When oneill took over the tarriers, boyd was the captain, eventually oneill made lambert the onfield captain and boyd remained as club captain, 

We could easily do both, tav maybe a model professional off the park, does all the captain stuff outside of games, but on the park, he definitely lacks the captains traits, 

If another player on the pitch needs the arm band to be a leader, then they aren’t one. 

Going back 150 years, we have been blessed with many great "leaders of men" as our Captains. Think of George Young, Bobby Shearer, John Greig, Terry Butcher, Amoruso, Gough, Weir, McCulloch and even Barry Ferguson who grew into the role as he matured.

The surprise for me was Lee Wallace. Three seasons and I never saw him do or say a thing that I thought made him worthy of the armband.

I know he is adored here by many, and was shockingly treated by the club at the end - a great footballer and pro, but a "leader of men"? Not in my opinion I'm afraid.

13 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

A poster put crucible and I assume he meant crucial.  It was no doubt predictive text on his part.

It was a reference to the OP making a thread on here claiming he was going to turn up to a game against them with stun guns, baseball bats and snooker cues 

7 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

this

21 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

I like the sound of a rotating armband to be fair, would it be based on a similar concept to Frank Butcher's bow tie?

comedian-eastenders.gif

Was wondering what the fuck you were on about hadn’t looked properly at the options, brilliant 😂😂😂😂😂😂