Goldson

GOAT

Just now, The Dude said:

Why can't we compare them? Why we can take that Goldson doesn't want to be here because he's not signed a new contract, but its not fair to say the club don't want Arfield to stay because we've not offered him a new deal despite his publicly-stated willingness?

Because Goldson still have years ahead of him and Arfield/McGregor are almost in their last season I'd say, nothing more, nothing less.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Definitely another season in Arfield. Surely that means we should have already got him signed  up. If we wanted him to stay, we'd have a deal on the table waiting for his signature?

IF Goldson decides he wants to move on, good luck to him. He'll never replace what he had here. If he decides he wants to stay, there's an offer there waiting and both sides need to work out a deal because it's going to be fucking hard to replace him.

I agree on Arfield.

Concerning Goldson, I'm not convinced he wants to leave, I didn't say he doesn't want to be here and I agree with what you said about him being hard to replace, definitely. But to me, he has more reasons to look away than Arfield and McGregor. I guess we'll know soon enough anyway.

I hope he stays purely down to the fact that we will struggle to replace him if he goes. Let's face it, our recruitment of late has been pish so I would have the fear regarding who they would bring as his replacement. There's also the financial constraints of buying a centre half that will be rock solid, reliable and contribute massively towards winning titles and silverware.

11 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Worrall was dogshit for us as well but I still can’t wait to see people’s reactions when he moves to a Premier League side for about 25 million.

Sadiq was linked with a ÂŁ30m move to Man Utd.

English football is farcical. Overpaid, overhyped, sterile pish.  

Katic was in the same category as Edmundson. They’d both have games when they looked as if they should be pencilled in for the next decade and both have games when they looked as if they should be playing for St Mirren. You need that consistency at a team like ours who are expected to win every week

6 minutes ago, rangersross said:

Been saying for a couple of years we should sign Jamie Hamilton (from Hamilton) as a young, inexpensive CB project. Has the potential to be the best Scottish CB in a while. 

I haven’t seen enough of him. Does his height concern you? 5’11 seems short for a centre back but no idea how he plays and if it’s something that gets exploited or not 

3 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

I haven’t seen enough of him. Does his height concern you? 5’11 seems short for a centre back but no idea how he plays and if it’s something that gets exploited or not 

For his height, he actually wins a lot of aerial battles. Scores a decent number with his head too. He'd probably be a few inches taller in an ideal world but I don't think it's a major concern. I'd have liked to see us sign him in the summer, and then have loaned him out to a side like Hearts or St Johnstone for a year, but his contract's up at the end of this season and there will be plenty of competition for him now. Apparently even some EPL sides. We'll probably let him go to Hibs or Aberdeen this summer then compete with the filth to pay £3M for him in a season or two. 

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Sadiq was linked with a ÂŁ30m move to Man Utd.

English football is farcical. Overpaid, overhyped, sterile pish.  

Yeah it’s a shambles. Just a total billionaires playground. I actually think Aston Villa will sign Worrall. Gerrard clearly rates him and he’s apparently been outstanding for Forrest this season.

8 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Worrall was dogshit for us as well but I still can’t wait to see people’s reactions when he moves to a Premier League side for about 25 million.

Shane Duffy does alright down there, that says it all.

8 hours ago, rangersross said:

Been saying for a couple of years we should sign Jamie Hamilton (from Hamilton) as a young, inexpensive CB project. Has the potential to be the best Scottish CB in a while. 

Pretty sure he has almost as many red cards as Morelos. Imagine how many more he’s get at us 

9 hours ago, rangersross said:

Personally I would prefer us to give more opportunities to Leon King.  He's already here, knows our playing style and has not looked out of place when we've given him opportunities in the first team.

14 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Oh boy the Katic talk has started again…

Why not though?  He was only 23 when he got the serious injury.  Not only has he recovered, he has muscled up and has been playing regularly for Hajduk Split this season.  He's now 25 which is still young but with some more experience which should stand him in good stead.  

On 20/04/2022 at 22:25, The Dude said:

Definitely another season in Arfield. Surely that means we should have already got him signed  up. If we wanted him to stay, we'd have a deal on the table waiting for his signature?

IF Goldson decides he wants to move on, good luck to him. He'll never replace what he had here. If he decides he wants to stay, there's an offer there waiting and both sides need to work out a deal because it's going to be fucking hard to replace him.

Bloody spot on. Goldson signed a contract to play with us until the end of this season.  So he's done what he signed on for.

He's free to go and grab what will no doubt be his last big contract. 

So if we want him to stay, we will no doubt have to make him our top earner which he probably deserves considering how many games he plays. 

I think we would also have to break our salary ceiling which I would be OK with cause like you said - replacing him is going to be some task!!