“take the moments to go forward”

scottyc06

3 hours ago, BigDak said:

I don’t know if it would work this way, but could giving the ball to teams who normally sit in force them to actually do something with it (especially at their own ground) and open them up rather than park the bus?

Problem with that is that the majority of shit teams in the league would also be happy to play out a boring 0-0 against us. Many of them don't NEED a win against Rangers, a draw would be a result for them.

6 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

I've watched the full press conference and there isn't much wrong with it at all. I'm still hurting badly after Wednesday too, but folk need to just breathe a bit 

I watched it too.

The OP was dying for a dig. 

We all know that 

8 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

He has no choice, gio himself knows when the line gas been crossed.

Sakala, alredo n for me, one more chance of starting for diallo.

We cannot afford to carry him as a passenger and keep saying one more game. Though suspext know we will be fined everytime he doesnt start.

He was a lightweight rabbit in headlights the other night....

He was brought in to hit the ground running.

14 games aint very long....

Suspext 😂😂😂😂

Walter deployed similar tactics against many a team in his two spells......make us hard to beat and be effective on the counter attack.....nowadays it's known as shite bag tactics because it didn't work......fuck me, on the night they were more up for it and better than us.....should that really be the yard stick on how we define a managers tenure.......before the Christmas break GVB was a god....I saw so many things on social media portraying their love for the man and how Gerarrd leaving was a good thing.....you are a long time dead as they say:confused:

16 hours ago, Ivybank said:

Definitely, his English is poor at times though, still better than mine😞

Half my family is Dutch (They are raised and taught in school to speak fluent and write in 5 languages) so weird hearing his English is poor - English is the second language behind Dutch then French etc- find it odd saying his English is poor like he only knows a few words-

5 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Walter deployed similar tactics against many a team in his two spells......make us hard to beat and be effective on the counter attack.....nowadays it's known as shite bag tactics because it didn't work......fuck me, on the night they were more up for it and better than us.....should that really be the yard stick on how we define a managers tenure.......before the Christmas break GVB was a god....I saw so many things on social media portraying their love for the man and how Gerarrd leaving was a good thing.....you are a long time dead as they say:confused:

Yes but on those occasions played defensive players and made us compact and frustrating to play against. Gio picked an attacking team sat back and let them play, but still allowed them so much freedom in our half bizzarly.

5 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Was Gio picking attacking team and deploying defensive tactics that left me shocked though. He very much still has my 100% backing

7 hours ago, Jelle1880 said:

Problem with that is that the majority of shit teams in the league would also be happy to play out a boring 0-0 against us. Many of them don't NEED a win against Rangers, a draw would be a result for them.

Aye, that’s a fair point.

If people believe his whole style is based on sitting back and countering you’re totally wrong. 

A perfect example of what Gio wants can be in St Mirren at home and Livingston/Hearts away. 

St Mirren at home was the most one sided 2-0 I’ve seen in a while, we totally dominated and swarmed them. 

Hearts away we picked our counter attacks well as we knew they’d come out at us in the first 10-15 minutes. After we got the second we didn’t hang back like some people think. There was at least another 30 minutes of the game we were on top and had at least 4 chances to make it 3. 

The OF was a mistake in personnel for the tactics he deployed I doubt we’ll be playing defensively with 5 attacking players on the park against them again, plus lets be honest what exactly can he do for the 2nd and 3rd it was schoolboy stuff from the whole backline.

My only issue at the moment is his insistence on trying to protect a 1 goal lead. This team don’t have the balls or correct attitude to do that. I sensed total panic when County got that corner kick, almost an air of inevitability. 

If we can go back to protecting 2-0 leads I’d be happy

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

If people believe his whole style is based on sitting back and countering you’re totally wrong. 

A perfect example of what Gio wants can be in St Mirren at home and Livingston/Hearts away. 

St Mirren at home was the most one sided 2-0 I’ve seen in a while, we totally dominated and swarmed them. 

Hearts away we picked our counter attacks well as we knew they’d come out at us in the first 10-15 minutes. After we got the second we didn’t hang back like some people think. There was at least another 30 minutes of the game we were on top and had at least 4 chances to make it 3. 

The OF was a mistake in personnel for the tactics he deployed I doubt we’ll be playing defensively with 5 attacking players on the park against them again, plus lets be honest what exactly can he do for the 2nd and 3rd it was schoolboy stuff from the whole backline.

My only issue at the moment is his insistence on trying to protect a 1 goal lead. This team don’t have the balls or correct attitude to do that. I sensed total panic when County got that corner kick, almost an air of inevitability. 

If we can go back to protecting 2-0 leads I’d be happy

There seems to be an acceptance that we weather the early storm from certain  teams. That is a dangerous tactic especially if we lose a goal during that time.

I've no idea why we can't do that to teams more often, get at them from kick off, camp in their half, force early corners, get shots on target etc. We seem to build slowly into games far too often. Too few early goals causing teams to fear for the next 80 mins or so.

Frustrates me tbh.

17 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

We've lost once in his 14 games in charge

This.

Until a week ago we had conceded 3 goals in 12 in all competitions since GVB came in and we were all purring about how well he’d sorted out our defence so quickly. 

We’ve lost 6 goals in two games, ALL of which were down to individual defensive mistakes and nowt to do with tactics.

v Ross County:

Tav doesn’t close out cross, McGregor drops the ball under zero pressure, Goldson doesn’t head the ball away and Bassey takes a fresh air swipe, the entire midfield and defence make a count of it for the third.

v celtic:

head knock and the players don’t play to the whistle, deflected shot leads to goal, Goldson makes himself 1/3 of the size in front of Hatate, and for the third both Tav and Barisic switches off.

We can scrutinise tactics all we want but individual errors and schoolboy defending are at fault for ALL 6 goals.

Unfortunately we’ve played really poorly after the break (although conversely we were actually very good v Ross County in the second half we just couldn’t kill the game or manage the last 2 mins effectively) but let’s face it, we’ve been shite after every Winter’s break.

It’s no coincidence we remained strong all last season as there was no break (and you could argue empty stadiums helped)

The technical ability and mental resilience of the players is the key issue here.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

There seems to be an acceptance that we weather the early storm from certain  teams. That is a dangerous tactic especially if we lose a goal during that time.

I've no idea why we can't do that to teams more often, get at them from kick off, camp in their half, force early corners, get shots on target etc. We seem to build slowly into games far too often. Too few early goals causing teams to fear for the next 80 mins or so.

Frustrates me tbh.

The problem is that some teams are going to race out the blocks also, and to get at them etc we need hardened mentality players, 

We can talk about gios tactics all day for the OF game, but have a look at any time we got the ball in the first half, we couldnt keep it for half a minute, 

Theres plenty of times we'll need to soak up the pressure, to combat that when we do get the ball we need to keep it and force the opposition to play at our tempo, fat chance of that when we couldn't even build from the back as the back 4 and kamara couldn't pass water, and the odd time we did get it further up the park the rest were just as bad

26 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The problem is that some teams are going to race out the blocks also, and to get at them etc we need hardened mentality players, 

We can talk about gios tactics all day for the OF game, but have a look at any time we got the ball in the first half, we couldnt keep it for half a minute, 

Theres plenty of times we'll need to soak up the pressure, to combat that when we do get the ball we need to keep it and force the opposition to play at our tempo, fat chance of that when we couldn't even build from the back as the back 4 and kamara couldn't pass water, and the odd time we did get it further up the park the rest were just as bad

Thats all fair enough and if we NEED to soak up pressure then fair enough, we do it but do it better.

I just think most weeks we start at a slower pace than need be, rarely get an early goal, get into the boring groove of knocking it across the back 4 til we slowly build it up. 

Teams don't really fear our opening phase imo as much as they do with the scum. And as we're known for this it let's some teams like sheep and hearts turn it and get in our faces.

There's no need for it, it's just a case of adjusting the mindset to get at them sooner. The ability to do it is there despite what happened on Wednesday. In fact, if we did get early goals it might give us the confidence to smash a team which we also rarely do.

20 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Thats all fair enough and if we NEED to soak up pressure then fair enough, we do it but do it better.

I just think most weeks we start at a slower pace than need be, rarely get an early goal, get into the boring groove of knocking it across the back 4 til we slowly build it up. 

Teams don't really fear our opening phase imo as much as they do with the scum. And as we're known for this it let's some teams like sheep and hearts turn it and get in our faces.

There's no need for it, it's just a case of adjusting the mindset to get at them sooner. The ability to do it is there despite what happened on Wednesday. In fact, if we did get early goals it might give us the confidence to smash a team which we also rarely do.

Apart from the OF game we've taken the lead in every game under gio, wether its the first 5 mins or late in a half we have still done it, but we done it by keeping the ball and moving the opponents all over the place, 

Wed night all the tarriers had to do was say "boo" and we gave them the ball back, we could never recover our shape or get a breather or force them into moving their shape etc cause we were so shite on the ball

33 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Apart from the OF game we've taken the lead in every game under gio, wether its the first 5 mins or late in a half we have still done it, but we done it by keeping the ball and moving the opponents all over the place, 

Wed night all the tarriers had to do was say "boo" and we gave them the ball back, we could never recover our shape or get a breather or force them into moving their shape etc cause we were so shite on the ball

Aye, we've stopped losing the first goal which he had to resolve. He did (til wed).I'm not really yanking about the tarriers game. I'm saying in most other games my preference is to take it quicker, earlier, more aggressively to opponents. I think there's benefits in doing so. We're turgid at the start at times and its really not always moving teams all over the place, it's more sbout us getting into it more. Sometimes that's not even happening til half time.

Surprised anyone would disagree with wanting us to get at teams sooner but hadn't accounted for you Jim 🤣

17 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

I've watched the full press conference and there isn't much wrong with it at all. I'm still hurting badly after Wednesday too, but folk need to just breathe a bit 

This.

If anything I was quite surprised at how directly and clearly GVB answered the questions ….  and they weren’t watered down in the slightest as some have suggested on here. People need to calm down a bit. We got hammered by celtic. It was poor but it’s not the first time this has happened and it certainly won’t be the last. 

Individual errors are responsible for all 6 goals we conceded this week. Tactics obviously come into play but you can’t legislate for fresh air swipes, dropping the ball at a strikers feet, head knocks, deflections and brain farts by midfielders at crucial moments.

Also, why the fuck are folk getting their knickers in a twist when a Dutchman, who played a large portion of his career in Spain, ehmm-ing and ah-ing when talking? What d’you expect? He’s foreign. How is their conversational Dutch?

49 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Aye, we've stopped losing the first goal which he had to resolve. He did (til wed).I'm not really yanking about the tarriers game. I'm saying in most other games my preference is to take it quicker, earlier, more aggressively to opponents. I think there's benefits in doing so. We're turgid at the start at times and its really not always moving teams all over the place, it's more sbout us getting into it more. Sometimes that's not even happening til half time.

Surprised anyone would disagree with wanting us to get at teams sooner but hadn't accounted for you Jim 🤣

Id love us to be 3 up after 15mins, less grey hairs, however gerrard never set us up to be like that and after 3 years of his system drilled into this squad, ten weeks of gio isnt gonna get rid of it

Even then, wether the players know exactly how to get at them or stifle them, it still comes down to mentality to be involved, in all honesty at least 5 of that starting eleven looked like they wanted to be anywhere other than on that park, and that itself is unforgivable