Gerrard Nisbet Exit

2 hours ago, Moody Blue said:

I have no doubts Gerrard thought we would strengthen after winning the league last season, the board then said ‘we’re skint cos of covid and we backed you last summer so sell before you buy’.

He then took the huff and kept everyone to force it, thinking they would cave or fund once in the CL. However, his stubborn attitude meant we went in to those qualifiers completely unprepared and it all unravelled from there. 

Like across the city this season, we should have done the business early after wrapping the league up in March, not leave it until halfway through June or July to have a manager go in the huff. 

In reality, we should have been trying to move someone on. We all knew we would need to sell to buy. The board went on about how Patterson would be the start of our player trading model but we should have been using the sale of someone to get in 1 or 2 top quality additions to the first xi.

3 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

It's a daft one, as there can be players in Scottish football who are good value for money, but Nisbet was never going to be that with the amount Hibs would demand. 

Also a backup signing as well.

I suspect it was probably an indicator of what backing he could expect, he was aware the squad had had it’s legs run off it, probably envisaged the form we’ve seen over the last few weeks coming down the line & took the first decent offer that came along.

3 hours ago, HG5 said:

I suspect it was probably an indicator of what backing he could expect, he was aware the squad had had it’s legs run off it, probably envisaged the form we’ve seen over the last few weeks coming down the line & took the first decent offer that came along.

The squad didnt have its legs ran off it, the league was done by March, europe a couple of weeks later and out the scottish by april, 

The same squad was also bloated as hell, it was then and we added 2 bournmouth boys, lundstram and sakala, wether they turned out good enough doesn't matter, first team squad players on decent wages 

By last summer we had

3 keepers

4 fullbacks

5 centre halves

6 sitting mids

5 number 10's

3 number 9's

And thats just off the top of my head, im probably missing a player or two

But thats the first team squad last summer, 26 players, then you have shite like barker, hastie etc all sucking up wages as well 

17 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The squad didnt have its legs ran off it, the league was done by March, europe a couple of weeks later and out the scottish by april, 

The same squad was also bloated as hell, it was then and we added 2 bournmouth boys, lundstram and sakala, wether they turned out good enough doesn't matter, first team squad players on decent wages 

By last summer we had

3 keepers

4 fullbacks

5 centre halves

6 sitting mids

5 number 10's

3 number 9's

And thats just off the top of my head, im probably missing a player or two

But thats the first team squad last summer, 26 players, then you have shite like barker, hastie etc all sucking up wages as well 

Sounds like you’re about to break into song 

11 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The board get away unscathed? I think their bank balances that funded gerrards reign taking a big hit is enough

The board have funded massive losses in the last 3 years, our top goalscorer in our title winning season was bought in a summer where most people knew we'd suffer huge covid driven losses, yet the board once again stepped up

Losing to a ten man malmo team at ibrox wasnt down to the board penny pinching, that was on gerrard and beale who watched as fucking malmo out smarted their one and only plan of attack

Aye, I've been a bit unfair in how I've approached and phrased that post.

My main issue is H&H are quick to criticise Wilson that he's not improved the starting XI in 3 windows. But they never really seem to acknowledge that the money isn't there to back him/the manager to improve a league winning XI. Wilson deserves criticism for not shipping some of shite out of a bloated squad, potentially for two of the three signings this January which feel a bit panicky, and as I said Gerrard deserves it for that second half capitulation vs Malmo. But I'd say that it's probably because of the board stretching so far in the summer of 20/21 that we've been unable to do improve the XI. I tend to think that you can't criticise Wilson on the "improving the XI" issue too heavily, because realistically you'd need to spend a bit to improve this XI. 

H&H's inability to criticise the board on other areas probably coloured my frustration there. It's not so much that they deserve flak for it, rather just to acknowledge the circumstances.

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

:lol: ridiculous isn’t it. 

Aye. I don't understand quite why the club are so vehement about Nisbet not having been a target. It was well known when he was at Dunfermline we liked him and had regularly scouted him in person (we even had 'informal' discussion with the Pars over potential fee etc) When he went to Hibs, of course we were naturally going to retain an interest in seeing how he'd do stepping up a level and, imo at least, I think he's one of the best scottish strikers aroud just now. When it became clear Hibs were struggling to keep hold of him last year - Nisbet asked to leave after bids from Birmingham were knocked back - we sniffed around it again. Itten had flopped, Defoe was done, Alfie's future was uncertain, Sakala was an unknown quantity and Roofe isn't exactly the play-through-the-pain type player.  A proven SPFL striker (who would count towards our homegrown quota) was playing for his country, attracting interest from down south and was going to cost arguably the same as you'd pay for any half-decent striker on the open market anyway.

There's definitely parts of the express story that don't match up (bacuna in particular) but the Nisbet stuff is pretty much on the money.