Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

3 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Nah he wont go at all this season because our board are fucking useless but if he loses at Parkhead then a swathe of fans will turn against him.

The same ones that turned against him last season, and then were loving him.

I don't think we played to badly today, we have a lack of creative midfielders and with Tillman dropping out it was always going to be interesting to see who would link the midfield to attack. We passed the ball quite well but suffered in the final third by players making poor decisions. Throw in a poor red card call and an idiot giving a shit ref every reason to send him off. It's hard to blame the manager, even at ten men we walk away with three points today, but down to nine away from home at a ground where we have dropped points before. It was always going to be difficult to hold out for twenty odd minutes.

2 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Nah he wont go at all this season because our board are fucking useless but if he loses at Parkhead then a swathe of fans will turn against him.

I do fear what would happen with the fans if we lose at their shit hole, but going to stay positive and hope we perform as we need to do. 

We are so F’ n cautious every game.

Home to anyone in the league - 2 holding midfielders, huff n puff for 90mins and win 2-1 or 2-0 - Rinse and repeat

Away in Europe drop our holding midfielder (Lundstram) into defence to make sure it’s really tight and hopefully catch the opposition on the break.

Like everyone else I enjoyed the run to Seville but we rode our luck and overturned a lot of results at Ibrox.

Braga away lost, Red Star lost, Leipzig lost, USG lost etc etc - Now Wednesday is massive for the clubs prestige and finances.

U just know it’s Lundstram dropping deep - It’s a one off game a Cup Final. Let’s get stuck in

Now I’m not advocating full out attack but we saw enough of them to show we can score, put them under pressure and make it an uncomfortable evening for them.

The one away result we did dig out was Dortmund - A night we rode our luck but were adventurous and positive and got our reward.

I want more of the same on Wednesday no regrets afterwards - Let’s have a go

23 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

I did not know that to be honest.

Does that mean we need to get rid of Gio now ?

I know we are all pissed off after that game today but I also think the reaction to a game that was spoiled by the Ref is a bit over the top so soon in the season. It is all about opinions and this forum would not be much use if we all had the same opinion. 

In the aftermath, the ref was easy to blame today and aye he had an influence on the scoreline

Saying that, we were our usual first half slow performance with something like 65% possession, had 1 shot on target (the penalty) and didnt really look like scoring apart from that.

2nd half, they came out and pressed, we conceded & scored with 11 on the park but again looked slow and pretty poor.

The ref gave us all an excuse today but the performance was no better than Livi, Killie, USG etc 

Just now, Valance1690 said:

In the aftermath, the ref was easy to blame today and aye he had an influence on the scoreline

Saying that, we were our usual first half slow performance with something like 65% possession, had 1 shot on target (the penalty) and didnt really look like scoring apart from that.

2nd half, they came out and pressed, we conceded & scored with 11 on the park but again looked slow and pretty poor.

The ref gave us all an excuse today but the performance was no better than Livi, Killie, USG etc 

Spot on, we were shite before the cards and were only ahead because of a crazy decision by the Hibs defender 

Just now, 6superbarry6 said:

Spot on, we were shite before the cards and were only ahead because of a crazy decision by the Hibs defender 

And I'll take that in mid January, after a tough run of games, if we go away somewhere and grind out a win

The issue is we've looked like its been mid January since we came back from pre season

1 hour ago, SkylineBlue said:

Because we had 9 men and were 1 up so we're trying to protect a lead which is exactly all you can really do in that position.

Disagree to the extent that we literally had to defend constantly from then on in.....getting the ball to Kent to at least try and run to get us somewhat up the park.....we were basically just booting the ball to them or kicking it out of play....only once did we attempt a player on the ball was with Arfield.....other than that we were happy to give the ball away

1 minute ago, Valance1690 said:

I think we spend a few days convincing ourselves that Hibs have been shite (and they have been against some teams) and we will win easily. Some posters saying maybe 6 nil, I have never seen these cunts lying down to us no matter what form they are in. They hate us equally to Hearts and will raise their game accordingly, they celebrated drawing against 9 men ffs. 

We maybe should be turning them over but it does not happen often at their ground and I believe we would have won if it had not been for Collum. As I have been saying to others it is all about opinions and that is fine but I think we expect too much at times. 

33 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

If we go out Wednesday I could cut Gio a bit of slack there as we are up against a good outfit, the continual negative tactics and dropping stupid points against dross in our league is harder to forgive. 

That's the thing, we could quite probably go through - which we'd all be fucking ecstatic about. That said, we set up as a team much more suited to Europe under Gerrard and if anything I only think that has become even more so under Gio.

42 minutes ago, sausagetrunks said:

Maybe they are playing the way he wants them to? they played well in his head. 

I'm generally pretty positive but in no way a happy clapper, I didn't realise that stat was so bad, what I will say though is the tims hadn't even got a point on the road until September lasynyear and they hadn't won away since valentines day.

If they can turn their form around there's nothing to suggest we can't, we do need to be more aggressive in our attack though.

51 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

We’ve won 40 percent of our away league games under Gio.

That’s a stat that is horrendous.

It's the other way round mate. Gio has lost or drawn 40% of away league games since he came in so we've won 60%. 

Still pretty poor mind.

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

I think we actually did pretty well.

Completely dominated. Scored an excellent goal, and even almost managed to hold out with 9 men.

Results speak for themselves I suppose, but I don’t blame Gio for today. 

Really? We created virtually nothing outwith 1 moment of quality being the second goal. 

His decisions after both the first & second red cards were strange for me as well. Going 4-4-1 is long gone, he had to go 4-3-2. After the second he needed to try leave some kind of outball. 

The 9 man cup final we had Novo, Miller & Naismith on the park. In Russia we finished with Lafferty, Kent & Ejaria. Today we tried with Arfield, Jack & Davis. 

6 minutes ago, eskbankloyal said:

For me he is under considerable pressure already. His away record is complete unacceptable (he’s won 60% not 40% FWIW) which even then isn’t good enough.

His approach to away games is dire & not acceptable for a Rangers manager. Our next 3 away games are Parkhead, Pittodrie & Tynecastle. We’ve already toiled in our 2 away games so far, both teams will probably be in the bottom 6 this year. 

There is no obvious style of play, he seems to just want individuals to produce individual moments like it’s the 90s. 

The Lundstram red card is a joke and if he gets a yellow, we probably see it out, but the 70 minutes before that were terrible. 

Equally, and beyond Gio, the recruitment again is looking pretty ominous. Our 2 ‘landmark’ signings have barely played a minute so far. 

We’re in for a very long season based on the evidence so far and I see nothing to suggest Gio thinks anything is wrong 

I agree that his away record and negative approach is terrible. His post-match assessment was worrying.

But you cannot say the recruitment has been bad. Lawrence, Tillman and Colak have exceeded expectations.

We have barely seen Davies and Yilmaz.

Matondo is absolutely rubbish

8 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I think we actually did pretty well.

Completely dominated. Scored an excellent goal, and even almost managed to hold out with 9 men.

Results speak for themselves I suppose, but I don’t blame Gio for today. 

In what way did we dominate?

Don’t hit out with 65 percent possession whilst we play the ball between the centre halves, then the midfielders and then sideways to full backs.

Not a single shot on target, not a save by the keeper.

I thought we were fine. But every away game we look like we might drop points. Or we pip it by a goal.

The league seems a long shot given the number of points we look like dropping. Referee was disgraceful and the club and manager need to start putting some pressure on and controlling the narrative.

Us winning an away game 5-0 seems like a pipe dream at the moment. Would like to see us play a much more aggressive press game. celtic just go full out and are relentless. We give these Diddy teams too much respect until we go behind? Then we seem to go for it. But never from minute 1.