Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

Anyone have any faith in the board/ Wilson to appoint a new manager if Gio was to walk/ get the sack?

Recruitment has been shite. 

All the talk of having a list of potential targets for each position should we sell any player has clearly been a load of pish.

We were fortunate our recruitment was so bad or Bassey wouldn’t have been filling in at CB for us, or we wouldn’t have made so much off him.

Head in the sand if you think a change in manager is going to be anything but a short term fix.

I’m not a fan of Gios tactics, but its a bigger problem at the club than the management over the last few years.

He won me over after Braga but anything less than a win on Saturday and he has to go. 

He hasn't been backed enough but his recruitment, his team selection and tactics are all wrong and he shouldn't get another penny. 

Completely regressed all over the park. 

8 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Theres still a point where you look at player performances and see there is a huge drop off to what happened last season in europe. Players have chucked it under him. Possibly because no quality came in the summer.

Possibly but is that gio fault or board?

1 minute ago, WWTC said:

Having just read his post match interview/press conference and that for me is enough. To say we can’t compete is a fuckin ridiculous thing to say, alarming infact. 

Absolutely chronic defending at a corner for goal 1. Bad coaching

unlucky deflection for goal 2 but should have been dealt with 

Tav absolutely brutal defending for goal 3

Jack gives the ball away for 4

poor goals every one. Nothing to do with the gap between A Rich club and a poor club,  everything to do with bad coaching and good coaching. 

2 minutes ago, WWTC said:

Having just read his post match interview/press conference and that for me is enough. To say we can’t compete is a fuckin ridiculous thing to say, alarming infact. 

Do you think Sheriff were thinking that way when they beat Real? Their manager at the time returned to Ukraine to fight for his country as well.

Gio played at the highest level and he’s fucking shit scared of opponents, he needs to go.

Just now, ShanksRFC said:

Couldn't agree more.

I have no idea what a this team is supposed to be doing. I don't think the players do either.

That was clear from his interview when he mentioned the mistakes the players made basically not carrying out his plan around positioning 

9 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

Think elements of both are too blame here 

the football under Gio domestically has been chronically bad at times , our away record abysmal and it resulted in a 12 point swing in the league last season over a 2 month period. 

Europe has been great until tonight.  The board are to blame for not giving him proper funding and deserve all the criticisms under the sun for their own shambolic performance . The way we set up and play and lose silly points on a regular basis lies firmly with the manager. Anything less than 3 points on Saturday and he is for the off 

Agreed, needs to let handbrake off for domestic games and away record can’t be defended.

Just can’t lay all blame at Gio’s door personally knowing what this squad have done previously, they’ve form for it.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Was just coming to post this.

Terrible attitude.

Gio is not solely to blame for where we find ourselves at the minute but the tone of the club is set by the manager and this attitude is clearly seeping throughout.

In Europe over the last few years weve matched many a side which have done reasonably well in the Champions League over recent years (Dortmund, Leipzig, Porto, Benfica etc

1 minute ago, ShanksRFC said:

Couldn't agree more.

I have no idea what a this team is supposed to be doing. I don't think the players do either.

There was a passage of play first half, I think at 2-0, down our right side around 20 or 25 yards out, we had about 7 players running around in circles totally clueless.  Like a crowd of primary school kids all chasing a ball and not getting close.  Embarrassing shape.

2 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Do you think Sheriff were thinking that way when they beat Real? Their manager at the time returned to Ukraine to fight for his country as well.

Gio played at the highest level and he’s fucking shit scared of opponents, he needs to go.

2 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Its honestly one of the stupidest things ive ever heard a Rangers Manager say, and by the way thats a decent Ajax side but theyre no Man City or PSG or even Madrid. 
Chronic. Out the door immediately. 

Seems we have went from uber disapline with a ridged tactic and formation 

To much more relaxed, and tweaking formation, rotating goalies and Cbs.

Players dont look to have bought into it , to many look like not giving it 100%

Few managerial replacements available.

Few just sacked, Few looking likely to be sacked soon.

5 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Possibly but is that gio fault or board?

Both for me. I don't believe for a minute Gio wouldn't have had a say in McGregor, Goldson, Davis and Arfield given new deals. Davies, Yilmaz, Matondo, Souttar, Colak and Tillman scream of Wilson's scouting, but again I don't believe Gio doesn't get a say. 

His recruitment at Feyenoord was chronic as well after they won the league and they also regressed the following season. 

I'd rather he walked than sacked but too much negativity surrounding him right now to ignore. If there's no win at Aberdeen, which seems likely, he simply has to go.