Matheus - Braga Goalie

8 hours ago, psb07158 said:

His distribution was ridiculous, collecting corners and 5 seconds later he's pinged a 70 yard ball over our CBs heads for his striker to run on to 

Take him in a heartbeat (although he was at fault for our 1st goal tonight)

Highlights just how bad McGregor is at it. 

7 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

very commanding, will end up porto or benfica

I think if he was going to he would have already. He’s 30 now and has been at Braga for a long time. You would think they would have signed him a while ago if they had any plans to do that.

9 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I think if he was going to he would have already. He’s 30 now and has been at Braga for a long time. You would think they would have signed him a while ago if they had any plans to do that.

Keepers tend to peak at that age though and can still go for another 8-q- years if they look after themselves and have a bit of luck

16 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Keepers tend to peak at that age though and can still go for another 8-q- years if they look after themselves and have a bit of luck

True, but I don’t think either of the big two in Portugal would ignore a talented keeper who’s been right under their noses for 8 years.

13 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

True, but I don’t think either of the big two in Portugal would ignore a talented keeper who’s been right under their noses for 8 years.

Yeah, you are probably right especially if he’s caused them problems when they’ve played braga, sometime a cause of buying your rivals best players to remain the best domestically even if he wasn’t to be first choice.

38 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

He’s never let us down.  I really can’t see why he shouldn’t be.

Why has Roby McCrorrie been put out here?

2 games this season where he came in out the blue v the tarriers and europe and didnt look out of place.

Hes 23/4 now and done his loan experience, same age mcgregor was to take the no 1 spot.

We have to give him the chance, boys held his career for us.

11 minutes ago, falkirkNS said:

2 games this season where he came in out the blue v the tarriers and europe and didnt look out of place.

Hes 23/4 now and done his loan experience, same age mcgregor was to take the no 1 spot.

By the same token he went on loan to Livingston and he couldn’t hold down the number one position for them.

Not every player is going to make it. 

5 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

By the same token he went on loan to Livingston and he couldn’t hold down the number one position for them.

Not every player is going to make it. 

Circumstances played a big part in that, just as he'd got into the side and settled as number one, he tested positive for Covid and then was out of the side. Made his return played a few games then Livi faced us and he couldn't play so was back out the team, Stryjek had a couple really good games so became hard to drop him. McCrorie came back in, played a few games, it was time to face Rangers again and out he went. Think of all the players we loan out, we shouuld often try minimise sending keepers to Premiership sides.

5 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

I’d be happy with either mate.  I’ve been an advocate of McGregor being demoted for sometime.  As you say, McCrorie didn’t let us down when give a chance but neither has McClaughlin (spelling) on a more regular basis.  Purely on that the latter gets my vote.  

5 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Because he's not the quality of goalkeeper that keeps you in/wins you OF and European games.

Too many hugely underestimating how important it is to have a top goalkeeper.

I’m not sure that’s true to be honest.  I agree we should have a top keeper.  But, McGregor has cost us points this season as well as saving us at times.  I don’t see McClaughlin (spelling) as a downgrade.  Just my opinion though.

34 minutes ago, The Hammer 11 said:

Was good in the air but he made a few glaring errors that  went unpunished , could have easily been caught off his line a few times 

Seems to just be rated on here because he comes for crosses and he has good distribution.

4 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Exactly this. We've all identified an area that has cost us goals and got hooked on that. 

He's excellent at both of those things but he's a good shot stopper too.

About the upper limit of the standard of goalkeeper we could hope to attract here, not that I think we're looking or that there's any chance of him coming.