Clive Tyldesley on Rangers

6 minutes ago, MayboleLoyal_atb said:

Must be 1 of not many on here who likes Gerrard 😂

I don't particularly dislike him. I just find him a bit of a prick (and have since long before he left us). Had a few interactions with him while he was here and just came across as a bit of an arse. 

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Citing it as a reason and it actually being the reason are two totally different things. He wasn't going to come out and say he wanted to go since he felt he wasn't backed by the board in the transfer market last summer and was set to massively increase his wages at Villa.

Kinda like all these players that join celtic and claim they've always wanted to play for them ever since listening to their games on the wireless in Kenya as a wee boy.

Folk rarely leave jobs for one single reason.

The Premier league is a huge draw, as is the spending power to operate in bigger market with more transfer funds and a bigger wage budget. Can't hold a grudge for having ambition.

The impact on his wages would have been of minimal influence I would imagine. And completely insignificant I'm relation to his family life.

Anyway, he'd achieved as much as he realistically could with Rangers. He could have won a few cups, but who places any value on them? his tactical inflexibility would not have allowed us to reach the UEFA final.

Good luck to him and thanks for 55. Can't believe the bitterness towards him. Do people honestly think anyone else worth their salt would reject Villla to stay here?  Bizarre when you consider died in the wool fans have left the club for England and been welcomed back.

1 minute ago, DiamondDan said:

Folk rarely leave jobs for one single reason.

The Premier league is a huge draw, as is the spending power to operate in bigger market with more transfer funds and a bigger wage budget. Can't hold a grudge for having ambition.

The impact on his wages would have been of minimal influence I would imagine. And completely insignificant I'm relation to his family life.

Anyway, he'd achieved as much as he realistically could with Rangers. He could have won a few cups, but who places any value on them? his tactical inflexibility would not have allowed us to reach the UEFA final.

Good luck to him and thanks for 55. Can't believe the bitterness towards him. Do people honestly think anyone else worth their salt would reject Villla to stay here?  Bizarre when you consider died in the wool fans have left the club for England and been welcomed back.

Aye, going from earning around 1.5million per year to over 5million per year would have 'minimal' effect :lol:

He could have won a few league titles. I'm sure there are people who place value on those.

Brian Laudrup rejected Barcelona to stay here. I guess we'll put him in the 'not worth their salt' category.

20 minutes ago, MayboleLoyal_atb said:

Must be 1 of not many on here who likes Gerrard 😂

Genuinely hope he does well down there.

Aye he left for an EPL side, so fuck. Happened with Rogers for them as well, its just the nature of the game now.

Guy dragged our club up and improved us massively. I think he lost a bit of his hunger with us and am glad he left and handed over the reigns.

Dont think he will ever talk badly about us, and think he will always remember his time here fondly.

53 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

We wouldn't have been leading the league moving into January the way we were under Gerrard. I think some folk forget how poor we were under him last season.

I get your point and we were poor, I just think we'd have got it together in the end, I don't think we'd have made the final of the Europa with Gerrard, just think him and the back room especially leaving gave the tarriers a boost, it's all history now and Gio is the man to get it back for us no doubts.

Watch Gerrards limp wristed fist pump when Hagi scores a vital late goal v Brondby and you'll know instantly that he knew he was Villa bound over a week before his claims. Without that goal we probably don't make the Euro final yet he uncharacteristically celebrates it like a training goal. I've no problem with Gerrard's leaving but the timing was unforgivable and has sadly soured his Rangers legacy for me. Only the Liverpool job would have been acceptable circumstances to leave us without a manager mid season. Regardless of poor start Gerrard had the tims number and sadly GVB cost us the league because it took him two vital defeats to learn we don't sit back via them and in fact we went on to bully them in the next two. Whatever reason's Gerrard gave would have kept for a few months but I console myself in the knowledge that the Euro final doesn't happen under his management and that was a monumental achievement for GVB even though the pain of how close we got will never go away.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Aye, going from earning around 1.5million per year to over 5million per year would have 'minimal' effect :lol:

He could have won a few league titles. I'm sure there are people who place value on those.

Brian Laudrup rejected Barcelona to stay here. I guess we'll put him in the 'not worth their salt' category.

But left for free for Chelsea? He had also had a stab at big time with AC Milan (biggest and best club in the world then) and didn't cut the mustard so the draw wasn't the same as his career was on a different trajectory.

If SG honestly ranked his overall all priorities I think wages would be pretty low down the list. He's a very wealthy man already. Even if he was money orientated, who in their right mind would begrudge someone trebling their wages?

3 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

But left for free for Chelsea? He had also had a stab at big time with AC Milan (biggest and best club in the world then) and didn't cut the mustard so the draw wasn't the same as his career was on a different trajectory.

If SG honestly ranked his overall all priorities I think wages would be pretty low down the list. He's a very wealthy man already. Even if he was money orientated, who in their right mind would begrudge someone trebling their wages?

I haven't. I begrudge the half-truths from Gerrard - and not just when he left. If it would benefit Gerrard (and I don't just mean financially) to tell you the sky is green and the grass is blue, that what he'll do.

Shame how it all played out this time last year I'd of probably had him behind Walter fir favourite manager we have had. Not sure how he is to blame for 1 point out of 9 against the scum which is what ultimately lost us the league...

A football club remains  a passion and a cause for the fans, but just   a job for a lot of managers and players, the days of playing  or managing for the love of  a club  largely ended when football became a  highly manipulated business rather than a working man's sport.

Fans who expect any player or manager to be loyal to a club, especially one with no ties from a different country, are living in a fantasy land tbh. Everyone will look out for themselves. People saying it was the way he left or the timing is just silly too. Nobody controls that and offers may not come back around later on. There is also no good time to go. If he left with 5 games to go with 1 point in it that would be worse, if he left after the season people would moan about CL qualifiers coming up. Yes it soiled my opinion of him a little bit too but also need to be self aware enough to accept that people are going to look out for themselves and their families, make the best career moves for themselves, and loyalty doesn't go the other way around either, if a manager is at Rangers and aren't performing we will chuck them. 

29 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Fans who expect any player or manager to be loyal to a club, especially one with no ties from a different country, are living in a fantasy land tbh. Everyone will look out for themselves. People saying it was the way he left or the timing is just silly too. Nobody controls that and offers may not come back around later on. There is also no good time to go. If he left with 5 games to go with 1 point in it that would be worse, if he left after the season people would moan about CL qualifiers coming up. Yes it soiled my opinion of him a little bit too but also need to be self aware enough to accept that people are going to look out for themselves and their families, make the best career moves for themselves, and loyalty doesn't go the other way around either, if a manager is at Rangers and aren't performing we will chuck them. 

If he didn’t act like a complete and utter wanker to the interviewer after Brondby? Then you’d maybe have a point. 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

If he didn’t act like a complete and utter wanker to the interviewer after Brondby? Then you’d maybe have a point. 

He did it regularly. Tried it to me once after the Falkirk game in the League Cup when I asked a Q about Glenn Middleton playing at left-back. :lol:

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Citing it as a reason and it actually being the reason are two totally different things. He wasn't going to come out and say he wanted to go since he felt he wasn't backed by the board in the transfer market last summer and was set to massively increase his wages at Villa.

Kinda like all these players that join celtic and claim they've always wanted to play for them ever since listening to their games on the wireless in Kenya as a wee boy.

Do you reckon that was the reason he left ? Rumour has it he wanted to sign Nesbit from hibs but wasn't financially backed . 

FWIW , I think the way we started last season when we dropped too many needless points he probably stayed a few months too long . 

Ffs.....how the fuck can a thread about Clive Tyldesley end up being a fucking hate fest for Gerrard again.....ffs I wouldn't like to see any cunt in here get jilted at the altar....move on....obviously Gerrard would get a mention as the interview is around Tyldesley time as a commentator at the club

1 minute ago, gmcf said:

Do you reckon that was the reason he left ? Rumour has it he wanted to sign Nesbit from hibs but wasn't financially backed . 

FWIW , I think the way we started last season when we dropped too many needless points he probably stayed a few months too long . 

A big, big part of it. The interest in Nisbet last summer is legit. Gary Mac watched him a fair bit and we were keen on him as far back as when he was at Dunfermline. Gerrard wanted him, board wouldn't sanction the sort of fee Hibs would want (£3-5m).

Once that happened he was ready to go without necessarily actively looking to leave and Villa ticked all the boxes for him - and us financially.

I tend to agree that he stayed a bit too long tbh but wonder how much of that was down to him losing some motivation and not quite having the keys to the car like he had before.

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

I don't particularly dislike him. I just find him a bit of a prick (and have since long before he left us). Had a few interactions with him while he was here and just came across as a bit of an arse. 

That's weird coz he's only had nice things to say about you!!!!! 

Just for the record the resentment against Gerrard needs to stop.....we arguably embarked on one of the biggest highs in getting to a European final in the manner we did....100% that wouldn't of happened if he had remained the manager.....he went, we moved on...end of story:headwall:

7 hours ago, ianferguson said:

Watch Gerrards limp wristed fist pump when Hagi scores a vital late goal v Brondby and you'll know instantly that he knew he was Villa bound over a week before his claims. Without that goal we probably don't make the Euro final yet he uncharacteristically celebrates it like a training goal. I've no problem with Gerrard's leaving but the timing was unforgivable and has sadly soured his Rangers legacy for me. Only the Liverpool job would have been acceptable circumstances to leave us without a manager mid season. Regardless of poor start Gerrard had the tims number and sadly GVB cost us the league because it took him two vital defeats to learn we don't sit back via them and in fact we went on to bully them in the next two. Whatever reason's Gerrard gave would have kept for a few months but I console myself in the knowledge that the Euro final doesn't happen under his management and that was a monumental achievement for GVB even though the pain of how close we got will never go away.

He went mental when Kent scored v Ross County in his final game.

49 minutes ago, The Dude said:

A big, big part of it. The interest in Nisbet last summer is legit. Gary Mac watched him a fair bit and we were keen on him as far back as when he was at Dunfermline. Gerrard wanted him, board wouldn't sanction the sort of fee Hibs would want (£3-5m).

Once that happened he was ready to go without necessarily actively looking to leave and Villa ticked all the boxes for him - and us financially.

I tend to agree that he stayed a bit too long tbh but wonder how much of that was down to him losing some motivation and not quite having the keys to the car like he had before.

Yeah , that would make sense . I'm probably one of a few in here that think Nisbet would have been a good signing , particularly when we see how the season ended injury wise .