Lee Wallace

falkirkNS

Personally, I have very mixed thoughts on LW.

On the plus side, he was fast - very, very fast and stayed with the club.

How him and Kenny Miller were treated at the end - utterly shameful.

As captain - never captain material. Silent, never really showed much emotion. Blended into the background. Captains should stand out and be a leader of men.

Playing ability - a bang average journeyman pro. Who else would have taken him for the dosh Rangers were paying him?

Nice guy. Average ability. Badly treated. Never a captain.

He was thrown under the bus for asking the questions of Murty that we were all asking. Him and Miller (rightly) felt they were in a dressing room with high percentage of players who couldn't care less and a manager who was too clueless and weak to do anything about it. They tried to challenge the mediocrity that enraged every Rangers fan and Murty's insecurity ended their Rangers careers in return. 

The guy deserves huge credit and respect for his time here. He still loves the club too. 

38 minutes ago, rangersross said:

He was thrown under the bus for asking the questions of Murty that we were all asking. Him and Miller (rightly) felt they were in a dressing room with high percentage of players who couldn't care less and a manager who was too clueless and weak to do anything about it. They tried to challenge the mediocrity that enraged every Rangers fan and Murty's insecurity ended their Rangers careers in return. 

The guy deserves huge credit and respect for his time here. He still loves the club too. 

Not backing the Board or Murty in any way, but we’d let ourselves get into a point where players thought they were bigger or more important than the manager.

Miller was undermining managers left right and centre. The Board rightly or wrongly tried to back the manager over the players (as they should generally). 

Bringing Gerrard in who was instantly the most important and high profile person at the club made such a difference.

Fuck with Gerrard and you’re gone. Likes of Pedro and Murty that just wasn’t the case (even though one was a screwball and one was a a wet blanket). 

2 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

As captain - never captain material. Silent, never really showed much emotion. Blended into the background. Captains should stand out and be a leader of men.

Playing ability - a bang average journeyman pro. Who else would have taken him for the dosh Rangers were paying him?

😆 

This place is howlin at times.

These guys must have been in their early teens or younger during this time. Only explanation 

1 hour ago, Marky. said:

As I said earlier, I had hoped he wasn't downplayed or taken for granted...

This thread is grim reading.

Probably the same cunts that start any criticism of mcgregor with "I love mcgregor but..."

15 hours ago, Siam69 said:

See all this 'just cos he played well in the lower leagues' pish, Lee was a Scottish International before they fucked us down the leagues. 

He was treated disgracefully by the Club, i remember thinking at the time when we won 55 it would have been a nice touch had the two Lee's who stayed been invited in some capacity, but then due to Covid things had to be muted anyway. 

Lee-Wallace.jpg

He started at Wembley when we were down the league's.

56 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Not backing the Board or Murty in any way, but we’d let ourselves get into a point where players thought they were bigger or more important than the manager.

Miller was undermining managers left right and centre. The Board rightly or wrongly tried to back the manager over the players (as they should generally). 

Bringing Gerrard in who was instantly the most important and high profile person at the club made such a difference.

Fuck with Gerrard and you’re gone. Likes of Pedro and Murty that just wasn’t the case (even though one was a screwball and one was a a wet blanket). 

I understand your point and, generally, of course players shouldn't undermine management but I'd also like to think there's a point where standards slip so low that it's right for senior players to challenge the coaching staff. We got gubbed by celtic and, according to various accounts, Murty's response was so lacklustre you'd have thought he was managing Ross County. On top of that, he made no attempt to challenge other players who just clearly couldn't care less (laughing and joking after losing 4-0 to them). As far as I'm concerned, Wallace and Miller did the right thing by going over Murty's head at that point, because that level of capitulation is unacceptable at Rangers.

Also, as far as I've heard, there was no monumental 'bust up' in the changing room or flagrant disrespect shown to Murty (as some papers reported). The pair of them insisted on speaking to senior management after the game and, when the bosses told Murty, he insisted they were frozen out for going over his head. 

1 minute ago, rangersross said:

I understand your point and, generally, of course players shouldn't undermine management but I'd also like to think there's a point where standards slip so low that it's right for senior players to challenge the coaching staff. We got gubbed by celtic and, according to various accounts, Murty's response was so lacklustre you'd have thought he was managing Ross County. On top of that, he made no attempt to challenge other players who just clearly couldn't care less (laughing and joking after losing 4-0 to them). As far as I'm concerned, Wallace and Miller did the right thing by going over Murty's head at that point, because that level of capitulation is unacceptable at Rangers.

Also, as far as I've heard, there was no monumental "bust up" in the changing room or flagrant disrespect shown to Murty. The pair of them insisted on speaking to senior management after the game and, when the bosses told Murty, he insisted they were frozen out for going over his head. 

I think so too. Although heard a lot of rumblings Miller was angling for the managers job. Might be shite, but never trusted the cunt. 

7 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I think so too. Although heard a lot of rumblings Miller was angling for the managers job. Might be shite, but never trusted the cunt. 

Miller was definitely a bit more questionable - leaking to papers, etc. Real pity Wallace left that way though. He deserved better. 

Played well against farmers and plumbers but really struggled against better opposition.
Had a contract with us that eclipsed anything he could of earned and suited him and his family to a tee. 
In the championship season he looked like he was towing a caravan and we failed to go up. 

the most one footed overrated player that has seemingly reached god like status we have had in sometime. 

he couldn’t lace young Bassey’s boots tbf. 

A good decent family man but never a football legend 

Everyone talking about his salary etc, there's not a chance he was on much more than £6-7k a week until he signed his contract extension with us. He came from Hearts as a young guy at a time when we just didn't pay big money

16 hours ago, The Godfather said:

How? He was the best LB in Scotland before we were demoted and could easily have went to a Lower half EPL side.

He was 24/25 and still improving ad a footballer.

Easily could have played at a higher level, eventually more money and furthered his career. Ridiculous to say otherwise.

Was he?

My recollection was before we were demoted he played LB, RB and LM for us. Papac normally started ahead of him at LB when fit. And before his broken leg Izaguirre had won all three player of the year awards in Scotland.

8 hours ago, Marky. said:

As I said earlier, I had hoped he wasn't downplayed or taken for granted...

This thread is grim reading.

Don’t think it is grim reading tbh. Everyone has been respectful with their posts, and the majority seem to share the legend view I am assuming you have.

I have nothing against Lee Wallace and I think he was treated horribly at the end. I just don’t think he was that great of a player and I didn’t the entire time he was here either 

2 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Don’t think it is grim reading tbh. Everyone has been respectful with their posts, and the majority seem to share the legend view I am assuming you have.

I have nothing against Lee Wallace and I think he was treated horribly at the end. I just don’t think he was that great of a player and I didn’t the entire time he was here either 

I agree with your post entirely to be fair. I just feel as someone mentioned earlier, for outstanding, and unique reasons, he is a legend of the club.

For ability? Absolutely not. His status goes far beyond that for me.

12 hours ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

Explain how he's a journeyman?? He played for 3 clubs couldn't be more opposite. 

2 hours ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

Explain how he's a journeyman?? He played for 3 clubs couldn't be more opposite. 

A journeyman can stay with 1 club his entire career. He was fast, and good, but not an outstanding player. He would not have kept his place if we didn't go down the leagues.

For anyone else wondering - I'm old enough to be his dad, so have seen a few players in my time.

3 minutes ago, East Enclosure Row N said:

A journeyman can stay with 1 club his entire career. He was fast, and good, but not an outstanding player. He would not have kept his place if we didn't go down the leagues.

For anyone else wondering - I'm old enough to be his dad, so have seen a few players in my time.

I'm not questioning the rest of your point as I didn't think he was brilliant myself but the 1st part doesn't make sense. A journeyman is someone who goes from club to club and probably has about 10/15 different clubs in their career, Lee Wallace couldn't be anything further from this. 

He was a great signing at the time and had settled brilliantly at the club but going down the divisions took the edge off his game which he never really got back and if you're not playing against the best players at your level then you will start to fade.

Imo he did make a massive sacrifice when he not only stayed but continued to be committed to Rangers and helped the club back up the divisions, looking back it's one of the things that still feels off that we really didn't get to see just how good Lee Wallace could have been. 

19 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Everyone talking about his salary etc, there's not a chance he was on much more than £6-7k a week until he signed his contract extension with us. He came from Hearts as a young guy at a time when we just didn't pay big money

What do you mean we didn't pay big money, he signed under craig whyte who in the same summer bumped up the wages of davis, shagger and whittaker

He was an international player at the time who was getting interest from clubs down south, he'd easily have got 5 figures a week for wages