Recruitment

Bydo

On 04/09/2022 at 13:46, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

We sign squad players and they sign starters.

Colak is probably the only player in the last couple of seasons to come in and instantly nail down a place in our team and the reality is that’s because he was our only option for the start of the season and he’s managed to take the opportunity.

Every other signing either takes ages to settle or can’t break into the team at all.

Lawrence, it can be argued, though early days.

Damning though. We genuinely have near-enough the same first 11 as we did two seasons ago. We've regressed and got massively stale.

5 minutes ago, bob1873 said:

Any truth in the latest “story” that we are in danger of breaching FFP regulations?  Sounds like a convenient board originated story to cover largely dreadful recruiting.

No rules breached but are on a watchlist and have to provide more detail to UEFA.

Don't see it being an issue as it will be based on our finances prior to a Europa League final run and qualifying for Champions League 

Have they just been lucky getting a decent manager that no ones heard of from the J League?

It's about buying the right players but also selling the right ones as well and it's been obvious for a quite while now that Morelos time here has come and gone and lets recycle that money

14 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Have they just been lucky getting a decent manager that no ones heard of from the J League?

It's about buying the right players but also selling the right ones as well and it's been obvious for a quite while now that Morelos time here has come and gone and lets recycle that money

There's no Morelos money.

Its almost certain he'll sign a precontract elsewhere in January and walk for nothing in the summer.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

There's no Morelos money.

Its almost certain he'll sign a precontract elsewhere in January and walk for nothing in the summer.

Yes now but he should have gone when the time was right and the money was on the table 

8 minutes ago, BlueAvenger said:

It won’t be popular, but none of our fuckin new signings have impressed (I won’t judge Davies)

Lawrence gets pass marks (mostly) and Colak has goals in him but we create the square root of f'all.  We spent £10-15m on players in the summer and it hasn't been done wisely at all, in fact, wasted really. If you shop in Poundland.....

We are poor relations when it comes to spending money nowadays 

Take Ajax, yes they have recouped a lot of money but the majority of that has been reinvested into the first team....think it was €31 million for Bergwein, Bassey €22 million, I heard a couple of other players mentioned one of which was €15 million, fuck me, we are signing players between £1.5 million- £4 million, is it any wonder we got outclassed

Still think what we've done bringing in the 7 for the 3 or 4 we got rid of along with the deadwood was good. 

The worst bit about our recruitment is what we have kept. Letting Goldson get to June to sign a new deal - not good enough. Kent and Morelos sitting with no new deal. Kent looks like he doesnt care and Morelos has already fell out with Gio cause his attitude - not good enough. Kamara we could have sold but decided to keep. Those 4 and their wages could easily have given us another 5/6 hungry players coming into the club.

4 guys who have been here for 4 years and one for 5 and have two trophies between them. They were barely winning when they were hungry. The same happened across the city, the fire stopped buring and they changed it all.

Gio is at fault for continuing to pick most of them game to game but a change of manager wont wipe this problem unfortunately.

Our transfer window has gone from the best ever to the worst! 😂

Colak is a decent box player but creates nothing. We aren’t suited to him.

Tillman is technically good but raw and looks bizarrely unfit at times (or lazy)

Yilmaz - I’ll be amazed if he becomes our number one left back. Something not right here; possible homesickness.

Matondo - Again, I’ll be fucking astounded if he has a good career with us.

Lawrence - has looked the best of the bunch, but is this the “best” level we wanted?

Davies - can’t comment yet.

Souttar - Blow me over, he is injured.

Are people really still happy with this window? How long until we just say the wrong players have probably been signed for the most part?

I’d rather have 2 player signed who would have absolutely made a difference.

9 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

Our transfer window has gone from the best ever to the worst! 😂

Colak is a decent box player but creates nothing. We aren’t suited to him.

Tillman is technically good but raw and looks bizarrely unfit at times (or lazy)

Yilmaz - I’ll be amazed if he becomes our number one left back. Something not right here; possible homesickness.

Matondo - Again, I’ll be fucking astounded if he has a good career with us.

Lawrence - has looked the best of the bunch, but is this the “best” level we wanted?

Davies - can’t comment yet.

Souttar - Blow me over, he is injured.

Are people really still happy with this window? How long until we just say the wrong players have probably been signed for the most part?

I’d rather have 2 player signed who would have absolutely made a difference.

Not been happy with any of the last 4.

Should be a Ross Wilson thread with more anger than a Gio one.

10 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

We signed Ben Davies, who was wasting away in the Liverpool reserves for 4 million.

Sheffield Utd, where he was on loan last season, went and signed 6’3, 23 year old, Bosnian international Anel Ahmedhodzic, who played against us in the champions league qualifiers last season to replace him and their fans are already saying he looks like he’s worth about three times more than the 3 million they spent to get him.

Our recruitment is all over the place and has been for a long time.

Exactly this.

A 23 yr old who if does well could then move on for a big fee and therefore fits trading model.

27 yr old for slightly more who you’ll be lucky to make a penny pack on.

Negligence. 

40 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

We signed Ben Davies, who was wasting away in the Liverpool reserves for 4 million.

Sheffield Utd, where he was on loan last season, went and signed 6’3, 23 year old, Bosnian international Anel Ahmedhodzic, who played against us in the champions league qualifiers last season to replace him and their fans are already saying he looks like he’s worth about three times more than the 3 million they spent to get him.

Our recruitment is all over the place and has been for a long time.

See that thread for him in the transfer forum, gonny go bring it back so we can see the weirdos that were confused that people weren’t buzzing for him?

1 minute ago, The No.9 said:

Got sent this not long ago that’s 24 players we’ve brought in over the last 5 transfer windows.

Personally I’m over the director of football shite but this was grim to look at.

AEFBB64F-56C2-4E69-A291-5C3314D79F23.png

Our injury record stems (mostly) from the fact we have taken 'punts' and also knowingly signed injury prone players.

Ross Wilson has not been a success.

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Funny how folks are calling for Wilson to go.  

seems weird to go all tonto on him tbh. 

This is his body of work ^^^^^

Our wage bill is broadly the same as Ajax's