Formation

SonicWill

Whilst Colak's goal scoring form is making him basically undroppable, it's clear that a fully-fit and firing Morelos offers us more in terms of his all-round game.

With Morelos hopefully getting back to his best, is there a chance that Gio looks at playing them together?

Either a 3-5-2 or a 3-4-3. Something like:

McGregor

Goldson Sands Davies

Tav                                      Borna

Lundstram Tilman

Kent

Morelos Colak

It'd allow Kent to float about as a free man, Borna and Tav to get forward and all three of our centre halves are players who have the ability to step out of the backline with the ball at their feet. 

1 minute ago, SonicWill said:

Whilst Colak's goal scoring form is making him basically undroppable, it's clear that a fully-fit and firing Morelos offers us more in terms of his all-round game.

With Morelos hopefully getting back to his best, is there a chance that Gio looks at playing them together?

McGregor

Goldson Sands Davies

Lundstram Tilman

Kent

Morelos Colak

It'd allow Kent to float about as a free man, Borna and Tav to get forward and all three of our centre halves are players who have the ability to step out of the backline with the ball at their feet. 

Midfield would be over run and gio ain’t playing 2 up front ever.

9 minutes ago, SonicWill said:

McGregor

Goldson Sands Davies

Lundstram Tilman

Kent

Morelos Colak

While I don’t think GVB would play 2 strikers as such for a full 90 minutes, I’d like to see Morelos & Colak at some point together, maybe taking Kent out when he’s having a crap game.

5 minutes ago, Dickie said:

Midfield would be over run and gio ain’t playing 2 up front ever.

You could replace Tillman with a more "disciplined" player like Jack/Kamara/Arfield/Davies. Kent can also drop in when we're out of possession making it a midfield three with Morelos dropping back a line, leaving Colak on the CB's shoulder.

I don't necessarily expect it to happen but it seems mad not to at least look at ways to get our two most potent attacking weapons into the team, especially when we're far better than the majority of the teams we play and will often be up against teams that sit in.

3 minutes ago, scotty1976 said:

I wonder if it would be worth playing Alfredo behind Colak in more of a 10 role?

Need to try something like this. Morelos is a workhorse as seen in the past, giving an outball on many an occassion.

Would also give a double headed attack which teams up here would shit themselves.

Puts a lot on Morelos but he has the ability when arsed.

The problem isn’t so much the formation but the personnel and style. We too often play with multiple defensive midfielders which I don’t think we need I against most Scottish sides. Also when we do that we tend to move the ball too slowly. It doesn’t matter who we play, when we move the ball quickly teams struggle to cope with us. 

Might be an absolute mental shout but I would try Morelos coming in off the right of the three.

I’m pretty sure he started his career in that kind of role and would give the opposition defence a real headache in who is picking him up when he drifts inside and also another out all to hit. Colak seemed to be dropping much deeper today to link play up which would let Morelos drift in centrally and free up space for Tav to attack if the LB tracks Morelos’ run.

I wouldn’t be asking him to spend the whole game out there but early in his time with us he created / scored a fair few when he drifted out to the right and then took his man on.

No chance, besides what do you think we will gain? Do you think that two strikers will mean double the amount of goals we will score? It doesn't work that way and with one less midfielder there will be less chances being produced. Gio will never buy into that.

2 hours ago, rossco87 said:

Might be an absolute mental shout but I would try Morelos coming in off the right of the three.

I’m pretty sure he started his career in that kind of role and would give the opposition defence a real headache in who is picking him up when he drifts inside and also another out all to hit. Colak seemed to be dropping much deeper today to link play up which would let Morelos drift in centrally and free up space for Tav to attack if the LB tracks Morelos’ run.

I wouldn’t be asking him to spend the whole game out there but early in his time with us he created / scored a fair few when he drifted out to the right and then took his man on.

I think this is definitely worth a try. Morelos coming in off the right would give us far more of a threat than anyone else we have tried in that position over the past few years.