Tillman

RFC55

15 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Frankfurt are buying an 18 year year old who’s played 37 games from Malmo for 11.5 million Euros.

It’s not directly relevant to us, and I know people will come back and say “5 million is a lot to us” but it adds context to just how little 5 million is in football these days.

Frankfurt probably get more tv money than the whole of the SPFL put together. A bit more context.

1 hour ago, left winger said:

Frankfurt probably get more tv money than the whole of the SPFL put together. A bit more context.

And only us and them in the whole of Scottish football will have ever spent close to that on a player, and likely only the OF duo ever will again.

We could probably afford it, but likely at a high % of of transfer budget whereas in many other leagues £5m is nothing. Here and now for us £5m is significant as an outlay on 1 player 👍

7 hours ago, hammer93 said:

As @BlueSuedeSambassays £5million isn't a lot of money these days....twenty five year ago we spent the same amount on Kanchelskis....puts it into some sort of perspective 

We were spending money back then that we realistically couldn't afford to spend. 

Also, Kanchelskis was the finished article with a fair number of years under his belt playing premier league, champions league and international football. 

51 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

Tillman will almost certainly be better than he was this season. Even if he produces an identical season, we would be able to sell him at a reasonable profit. He’s a no brainer.

Regardless of that, does he even want to come back?

1 minute ago, J-Maestro said:

Don’t really understand when we’ve just got rid of Kent/Morelos, why we are desperate to bring a guy back who doesn’t seem at all bothered about staying.

He might be, but think there would have been more made of it if it was likely to be happening. Suspect if it does happen it’s because he hasn’t had a decent offer like Goldson last year. 

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

We were spending money back then that we realistically couldn't afford to spend. 

Also, Kanchelskis was the finished article with a fair number of years under his belt playing premier league, champions league and international football. 

You need to take inflation into account too .5m then would be 12 to 15m now .That’s just money inflation .Disregarding the way the transfer market has spiralled..

One thing for sure our Budget at top wage and transfer fee hasn’t kept up at all with inflation .

46 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Don’t really understand when we’ve just got rid of Kent/Morelos, why we are desperate to bring a guy back who doesn’t seem at all bothered about staying.

Fair point. I think if he comes back on a long term contract you will get 100% for a few years. (Rather than Kent/Morelos who knew they were leaving).

But Tillman will likely always fancy a move away from us in a few years and it’s up to us not to fuck it up and cash in at the right time 

I would be disappointed if he didn’t want to sign on .He has been great for us .Stacks of improvement still in him .That was his first full season playing first team football.

One saving grace should he not sign permanently is .Cantwell ,He looked a far better player without Tillman in the team .Maybe he finally settled it may have been getting more of the ball in a position Tillman would have been .

10 hours ago, hammer93 said:

As @BlueSuedeSambassays £5million isn't a lot of money these days....twenty five year ago we spent the same amount on Kanchelskis....puts it into some sort of perspective 

We shouldn't have paid that for Kanchelskis at that time.   

I don't think Tillman shows enough enthusiasm for us as a club or when playing in games.    He's a project player at present with a profit in mind although I'm not as convinced as others that we would actually make money on him.  He doesn't make sufficient impact in the games which matter most in my opinion.

5 hours ago, left winger said:

They do but that wasn’t really my point. My point was that in modern football 5 million isn’t a big sum of money, and certain people within our support need to stop acting like it’s still 1994, when 5 million was a big sum of money.

34 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

I don't think Tillman shows enough enthusiasm for us as a club or when playing in games.    He's a project player at present with a profit in mind although I'm not as convinced as others that we would actually make money on him.  He doesn't make sufficient impact in the games which matter most in my opinion.

USG at home, PSV away?

2 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

They do but that wasn’t really my point. My point was that in modern football 5 million isn’t a big sum of money, and certain people within our support need to stop acting like it’s still 1994, when 5 million was a big sum of money.

But it is a big amount of money, to us. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

But it is a big amount of money, to us. 

It’s not really though, in this day and age spending 5 million on a couple of players every summer should be the norm for us, and it shouldn’t be a bank breaking sum either, especially if it’s invested on younger players who have lots of room to develop. 

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

It’s not really though, in this day and age spending 5 million on a couple of players every summer should be the norm for us, and it shouldn’t be a bank breaking sum either, especially if it’s invested on younger players who have lots of room to develop. 

It hasn't been the norm for 20 years though, surely that shows that it is a lot for us?

2 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I’d agree we should be, but it is still a big amount of money to us. 

24 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

It might not be for Frankfurt, but it is for us.

1 hour ago, JCDBigBear said:

He's a lazy cunt who occasionally makes a salmon leap into the history books.

PS If our record on making money on class players was true, Kent, Morelos and Kamara alone would have earned us a fortune. We won't even get our money back.

7 minutes ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

It should have been though. The main reason it isn’t is because we were fucking terribly run for about 15 of those 20 years.

If we were looking for quality, difference makers and we want to keep coming ahead and a club that’s probably the level and value we need to be signing players at on a regular basis.

Will they all be successful? Nope. Can we get bargains for less money than that? Of course we can, but 5 million signings for players who are expected to come in and be big players for us, before we turn a profit on them, shouldn’t be considered as big of a deal as it is by some people.

celtic, who are our closest rivals, and who let’s be honest have basically wiped the floor with us for years now have gone above 5 million a few times in recent years, and signed loads more players (some good some shit) for 4.5 too.

Dont really disagree with that but still don't see how you can say that a fee we don't spend regularly isn't a lot to us.

4 minutes ago, left winger said:

It might not be for Frankfurt, but it is for us.

Then it’s up to the club to find ways to generate more money and allow us to increase what we can invest in the squad.

We can’t keep signing players, mainly in the 1.5-2.5 million bracket, while the value of players in most professional leagues continues to get more expensive with every passing year,  and then complain when we aren’t successful because our players aren’t good enough.

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Then it’s up to the club to find ways to generate more money and allow us to increase what we can invest in the squad.

We can’t keep signing players, mainly in the 1.5-2.5 million bracket, while the value of players in most professional leagues continues to get more expensive with every passing year,  and then complain when we aren’t successful because our players aren’t good enough.

Totally agree with that.