Ross Wilson Joins Nottingham Forest - Confirmed

Canabear

9 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

At the time of Wilson's appointment it was seen as a positive move by the club. Putting in place the correct management structure to take us forward.

Wilson may not have been the best man for the job but that's just hindsight. I would not scrap the role.

i would for now.

not every manager needs a DoF and it's not like once we get rid of the position we can't make it again if beale can do his job without one that's fine if the next manager is happy or prefers to work with one then we can hire one again

I agree with everyone else that has said throughout the his thread, if Wilson goes that the director of football role should be scrapped.

It is an unnecessary role, that really does nothing that a chief operations officer and a chief scout can't do.

Let Michael Beale have more control, employ a chief scout and let's see where we go.

10 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

I agree with everyone else that has said throughout the his thread, if Wilson goes that the director of football role should be scrapped.

It is an unnecessary role, that really does nothing that a chief operations officer and a chief scout can't do.

Let Michael Beale have more control, employ a chief scout and let's see where we go.

We already have a chief scout

5 hours ago, NixonRFC said:

I'm in the same camp as everyone else in being happy to see the back of him but playing devils advocate here, Michael Beale seems to have a really good relationship with him and he also seemed to be really excited and positive about summer signings.

My worry would be if Wilson goes to Forest he takes that knowledge with him, and he'd know the kind of transfer fee and wage our summer targets are looking for, last thing we need is getting gazumped for our first choice targets.

Also if guys like Cantwell and Raskin have any kind of clauses in their contract then that's another thing he could be all over.

On the face or it I'm happy if he goes but I think these are downsides we need to acknowledge as well.

As if Forest are shopping in the same market as we are. :lol:

He always irritated me and the lack of transfer strategy, narrow market, opportunistic signings I found very frustrating, but last nail on the coffin was his 'Ross Wilson does not sign football players" comment.

Whilst true he didn't have the final say, the refusal to accept any responsibility for the failure of a department he oversees, to find a profile of player for the manager, when he has been much lauded for his connections etc, just showed you the sort of careerist, slopey shoulders, charlatan he is.  

I honestly cringe when clubs start rolling out too much corporate schtick in the guise of modernising/progression. The truth is, the most important person at the club is the manager. He sets the culture, vision and is responsible for the only real barometer of success: winning on the pitch.  No amount of boardroom presentations, values/mantras and PowerPoint strategy presentations will ever change that basic fact.

19 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Football "Director of Sports" transfer chat is not as sexy as player transfers.. but who would be a good candidate, if rumours are true?

If we are going to get another it has to be someone who knows the club. Any players they bring in need to have the skill AND mentality it takes to be a Rangers player.

Just now, Bluekev said:

If we are going to get another it has to be someone who knows the club. Any players they bring in need to have the skill AND mentality it takes to be a Rangers player.

Backroom staff is somewhere we can actually compete and its somewhere I want us to really push out the boat and spend money. 20k a week goes a fuck load longer in Backroom staff than for players. 

Think the need for a DoF role depends on the skill set of the manager and the rest of the board. Do we have the competence in player negotiation, deal structuring etc. if we do then don’t see why we can’t just bin the DoF role for now. But liewell did all that for celtic. Not sure how that stuff is split between the current board. 

Beale seems like a manager who has the capability and wants to be CEO of all footballing aspects. (Something that Gio wasn’t and Gerrard probably wasn’t either). Beale’s a bit more like fat Ange in that regard. 

I’d rather give him full control over the footballing side and beef out the scouting department. Maybe someone who watches/is an expert in the Asian leagues.

2 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Think the need for a DoF role depends on the skill set of the manager and the rest of the board. Do we have the competence in player negotiation, deal structuring etc. if we do then don’t see why we can’t just bin the DoF role for now. But liewell did all that for celtic. Not sure how that stuff is split between the current board. 

Beale seems like a manager who has the capability and wants to be CEO of all footballing aspects. (Something that Gio wasn’t and Gerrard probably wasn’t either). Beale’s a bit more like fat Ange in that regard. 

I’d rather give him full control over the footballing side and beef out the scouting department. Maybe someone who watches/is an expert in the Asian leagues.

You are fucking Reeekin ya cunt. :taig:

3 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

I think we need to spend a fuckload more on scouting and that takes a DOF to oversee. Teams like Napoli spend around 4 mill pr season on scouting alone. Whilst that sounds a lot, it really isnt if it works. They certainly seem to make it work. Id rathers spend 5 million on scounting per year than chancing your luck on a couple of players at the price of 2-3 mill.  We need to be smart, and backroom staff is where its at!