General Transfer Talk

Broxi

5 minutes ago, PromDeAnglais said:

Any 7 figure bid and Van Veen is off. Motherwell manager acting as if he's 22 on a 5 year deal. Guys almost 32 with 12 months left. 

Seen it somewhere else, but KVV will likely go to Birmingham or some other similar club for about 850k.

Do alright and then retire.

You're spot on bout manager, odd way to act bout a 31 year old.

11 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

It looks like Sterling is a strong possibility (free transfer). Are we planning to go to a back 3 next year?

Cover for Yilmaz and Tavernier I think (very versatile), maybe he'll push for Tavernier's place though.

13 minutes ago, Loyal72 said:

Seen it somewhere else, but KVV will likely go to Birmingham or some other similar club for about 850k.

Do alright and then retire.

You're spot on bout manager, odd way to act bout a 31 year old.

Van Veen will go for a couple of hundred K or not at all. 

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Just a thought that kinda goes off the back of the VV thing. 

We've been largely awful in getting transfer fees for our players. Patterson, Bassey and Aribo are hopefully indicators of an upturn of fortunes but the likes of Aberdeen and less recently Hibs have been much better at getting decent fees for their players, many of which i would say are of lesser standing than players we've let go for free or for effectively a nominal fee. 

VV isnt worth a lot, but I would imagine they'll probably get more than he's worth, and certainly more than we would get for a similar level player. 

I just wonder why that is, and why the above 3 i've mentioned have mainly been the exception rather than the norm. 

Yes we have accepted some big bids but we don’t seem to have a competent strategy for moving on players that aren’t just exceptional young talents that sell themselves like Bassey and Patterson.

Kent, Morelos and Kamara should have been sold in the last few windows. Combination of the players wanting to move, contracts running out, age etc.

So you have to be actively looking to cash in on them and have a plan to do it. Easiest time to do that is when they are “hot”.

That could be scoring a worldie, a streak of goals, an exceptional performance in Europe. Then you drum up the hype, have good relationships with agents so these players are at the forefront of the candidate list for any interested clubs.

This is hard to stomach if you don’t have a good recruitment process to line up a replacement as it feels like you’re weakening yourself. Which is probably another mistake we’ve made.

On the flip side I reckon celtic will try and cash in on Kyogo. He’s 28 and 18 months left on deal. So they’ve already signed his young replacement. They’ll sign another in Summer. And if they’re good enough they will look to sell towards the end of this window or in January. Already seeing a few 15-20 million paper bids in the news

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Signing Sterling, Butland and Dowell for nothing, that's a pretty good start before we splurge big money on a few signings.

It's an alright start, coupled with the fact we keep getting told Beale will get more than any manager to this point.

Could be great.

I'll hold reservation though until August 31st.

Just now, Loyal72 said:

It's an alright start, coupled with the fact we keep getting told Beale will get more than any manager to this point.

Could be great.

I'll hold reservation though until August 31st.

Really need some quality attacking players in, and early. Not a hope in the CL qualifiers without it. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

Really need some quality attacking players in, and early. Not a hope in the CL qualifiers without it. 

Where I'm most keen to see us spend some proper money, upfront and midfield. 

No use dominating the ball and then not being able to do anything with it.

3 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

Don’t think he’s here to take Tavs place tbh, left back or right of a back 3 

Doesn't look like he's played much football as centre back according to transfermarket. 

Mostly right back with slotting in at left back now and again.

Saying that, did Bassey play centre back before us? 

13 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Doesn't look like he's played much football as centre back according to transfermarket. 

Mostly right back with slotting in at left back now and again.

Saying that, did Bassey play centre back before us? 

Looking at his stats he’s been mostly at left back recently, might mean Borna away rather than a Tav back up, don’t think he’s played a great deal at centre back but looks to have the attributes for it.